HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 12:59 PM

Turn around. Let me see your backside. Nice.

http://www.dudapaine.com/405-colorado-tower.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 2:23 PM
World Traveler

You answered my question on the main forum as to whether or not this was a giant garage. I really like the top half...I wish they integrated that design into the lower half, continuing it all the way to the ground. I can't say I'm thrilled with it...but really only because of the garage part.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 2:33 PM
Rundberg & I35

14 levels of parking......only 12 office? That's crazy.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
14 levels of parking......only 12 office? That's crazy.
Honestly I'm at that point where I feel like anything over 5 is just absurd and should only be talked about as a joke.

I'm starting to think the council should start looking at parking limits. Nobody wants to drive for 14 parking levels. I won't even drive 7.

I like the building but I'm tired of buildings that are half parking, or more, in the middle of a CBD

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 4:03 PM

Do we know if this is the builder's final design, or just Duda Paine marketing itself?

Also, parking makes more sense here than in other places, IMO. It's gotta support not only tenants but folks coming to the warehouse distric to eat/drink/be merry. I'll bet dollars to donuts that parking for those restaurants is in tight supply even now. It honestly only stands to get worse.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 5:52 PM

Okay, so first the criticism. I think 14 levels of parking is a logistical mess but what bothers me more is the office/parking ratio. This is really a parking garage with "attached office." I'd love this building if the ratio were more 2-1, like 24-stories above this podium.

With that said, this is a HUGE win for me. Just think we could have gotten a slightly taller 5th and Colorado which would have made this basically a glass parking garage considering how much parking this one has. While I like disguising parking, I kind of find it strange when there is no differentiation between residential/office spaces and the parking garage. Seamless transition but I guess it doesn't feel natural to me.

I think this podium will actually look very cool and I love the fact this will have exterior glass elevators (which someone had opined when the site plan was released). This is an abstract beauty IMO and is very different from the recent spec office built downtown. Parking could be whittled down, but this has well exceeded my expectations.

Question: Why the blank wall facing North?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 6:34 PM

I love the top half, not so much the bottom. I love the fact that they are being creative, but when both top and bottom half don't integrate, it looks ugly.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
You answered my question on the main forum as to whether or not this was a giant garage. I really like the top half...I wish they integrated that design into the lower half, continuing it all the way to the ground. I can't say I'm thrilled with it...but really only because of the garage part.
Yeah, push like half of the garage levels underground, encase the rest in glass and make the backside look like the front and it'd be a great tower. Only thing I like about the garage is how the elevator is exposed somewhat.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 10:00 PM
Honored Member

Possibly the most stupid-looking design I've ever seen. The parking structure looks like a big "fuck you" to the city. Why not just have drive-in offices where you can pull right up to your desk and do everything from your car? I can't believe anyone's even remotely happy about this. Yeah, the top half is nifty, but it's like putting the torso of Lebron James on the lower half of a cow. It doesn't work. It's like serving sashimi on a bed of manure.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Do we know if this is the builder's final design, or just Duda Paine marketing itself?

Also, parking makes more sense here than in other places, IMO. It's gotta support not only tenants but folks coming to the warehouse distric to eat/drink/be merry. I'll bet dollars to donuts that parking for those restaurants is in tight supply even now. It honestly only stands to get worse.
The renderings are from the developer's website. So I would say it's not just an architecture firm marketing itself. The link to the last rendering goes to Duda Paine because Brandywine didn't use that image.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 10:14 PM
Honored Member

It suddenly dawned on me that the bottom half of this wouldn't be visible from anywhere other than its immediate vicinity, hence the overall effect for the skyline would be a win. Now I want it taller.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Possibly the most stupid-looking design I've ever seen. The parking structure looks like a big "fuck you" to the city. Why not just have drive-in offices where you can pull right up to your desk and do everything from your car? I can't believe anyone's even remotely happy about this. Yeah, the top half is nifty, but it's like putting the torso of Lebron James on the lower half of a cow. It doesn't work. It's like serving sashimi on a bed of manure.
I like the analogy, but I'd rather have at least Lebron James' torso than a full cow on my court. I agree it is very poorly integrated. I wish parts of the glass section were woven into the parking podium. I don't actually hate the design of the podium and think the elevator section is really cool. I just wish it was like 5 floors of parking and 20 of the glass portion. What the hell? There's no height restriction, if you're going to put in 12+ levels of parking at least double the amount of office floors. The problem with this building is not the design of either component, it's the lopsided proportion. I guess the reason I don't hate this is because it totally could have been another generic glass box. At least this is different, right?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 10:52 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
I agree it is very poorly integrated. I wish parts of the glass section were woven into the parking podium. I don't actually hate the design of the podium and think the elevator section is really cool.
I'd love it more if it were integrated like broken glass shards emanating from a fire pit. That'd be really cool. It would also be better if it were a good 10 stories taller, but I still really like the design. It's interesting.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 10:58 PM
World Traveler

So I've slept since my original post (still in China). Upon seeing it again, I like it even less. I appreciate the unique design, but I don't personally find it attractive at all. I understand that my critique is subjective and my own, but I stand by it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 11:00 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
So I've slept since my original post (still in China). Upon seeing it again, I like it even less. I appreciate the unique design, but I don't personally find it attractive at all. I understand that my critique is subjective and my own, but I stand by it.
I like it less, too, now that I've read what others have wrote, but I still find it intriguing.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2016, 11:49 PM

I've decided this building may look strange with the current ratio. Complicated building: First look; loved it. After sitting for awhile, I'm no longer in love with the scope of the podium.

I think the floor plate of the podium is too big, and if this parking podium really must be this size, then I'm very disappointed the glass (the actual office portion, um... the reason the building is being built in the first place... isn't more central). Basically, it has immense potential. Integrate the glass bit, make it taller and this would be a great building. In the current iteration, it's a somewhat polarizing design that needs work.

Here's one way I would fix it (rough redesign):

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 12:48 AM

Edited

Last edited by the Genral; May 14, 2016 at 11:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
It suddenly dawned on me that the bottom half of this wouldn't be visible from anywhere other than its immediate vicinity, hence the overall effect for the skyline would be a win. Now I want it taller.
Unfortunately people do have to experience this building at street level, and many hundreds (or thousands?) of them will have to look at it every day. It will barely make any difference in the overall skyline, and most people are too busy driving (and not paying much attention unless they are skyscraper devotees) to focus much attention on this building from afar. It won't stand out or be terribly visible from most locations. It will be painfully visible at street level, 14 oppressive floors of parking wrapped in brown.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 1:55 AM

I prefer underground parking levels. But this isn't New York where people take the subway to work. The parking is needed unfortunately because people here (and in most cities) drive to work. The mass transit has to come first before any single developer will do away with parking. Plus, I think downtown parking is viewed as a money maker. Austin has so many large events and Downtown visitors that parking garages do make money. The parking garage in the office building where I work was opened to the public a while back, and the revenue seems to be significant based on the usage.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 2:02 AM
World Traveler

I don't like the idea of a parking garage, but I agree that it is often seen as a significant source of income. It's needed (sadly). That said, I'd prefer to make these necessary evils more attractive. Stab us in the chest with parking, but don't twist the knife with ugly garages.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin