HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 12:12 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay did a parking study a couple years ago and found that, at best, 40% of the parking spots in the downtown areas were actually used. And Thunder Bay's downtowns have a lot less parking as a percentage of space than downtown Winnipeg. It's starting to change as downtown gets more developed, but we're still probably not more than 60%. Major events fill spaces up quickly, but they mostly happen outside of office hours, so almost all of the parking spaces are available.

The main issue is that people expect to be able to park within sight of their destination. This is why people will park far away from the front door at Walmart, but are often hesitant to park around the corner or a block over from the store they're going to, even if it's a shorter walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Maybe that is the rules, but obviously not what is followed. Vancouver's Turn (Trump Vancouver) has been listed as UC since they re-started excavation last year. It only reached grade a few weeks ago. I can cite dozens of other precedents, including Heritage Landing, Centre Pointe, and Glass House.
It isn't very well enforced, I agree.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Thunder Bay did a parking study a couple years ago and found that, at best, 40% of the parking spots in the downtown areas were actually used. And Thunder Bay's downtowns have a lot less parking as a percentage of space than downtown Winnipeg. It's starting to change as downtown gets more developed, but we're still probably not more than 60%. Major events fill spaces up quickly, but they mostly happen outside of office hours, so almost all of the parking spaces are available.

The main issue is that people expect to be able to park within sight of their destination. This is why people will park far away from the front door at Walmart, but are often hesitant to park around the corner or a block over from the store they're going to, even if it's a shorter walk.
Honestly, there is a definite parking crunch during the weekday, daytime already within three blocks of Portage and Main. On street parking is difficult and even bordering on impossible to obtain while most private lots have some slack but a slight tweak will push them to capacity, ie a lot closing part of a floor for maintenance.

There are similar issues already in the Convention Center area and things have only gotten worse with the arrival of Hydro two blocks north. Losing the SoPo spaces during construction will put on an even further crunch.

As for saying alternatives like rapid transit or even normal transit are viable, that is just not true. Sadly, small changes to our transit system, like extended a route into a new residential area, can take five or more years. For more proof look at the issue with getting a single rapid transit run completed from downtown to the U of M.

Downtown is already losing offices to the suburbs due to the lack of available and cheap parking and unless the city puts stops in place to encourage offices to be downtown this will start to be a new trend.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Honestly, there is a definite parking crunch during the weekday, daytime already within three blocks of Portage and Main. On street parking is difficult and even bordering on impossible to obtain while most private lots have some slack but a slight tweak will push them to capacity, ie a lot closing part of a floor for maintenance.

There are similar issues already in the Convention Center area and things have only gotten worse with the arrival of Hydro two blocks north. Losing the SoPo spaces during construction will put on an even further crunch.

As for saying alternatives like rapid transit or even normal transit are viable, that is just not true. Sadly, small changes to our transit system, like extended a route into a new residential area, can take five or more years. For more proof look at the issue with getting a single rapid transit run completed from downtown to the U of M.

Downtown is already losing offices to the suburbs due to the lack of available and cheap parking and unless the city puts stops in place to encourage offices to be downtown this will start to be a new trend.
I don't buy your argument sir. These all just seem like excuses and laziness to me. First off for the majority of people, they can do what many have to do and walk for 5-10 minutes to get to their destination. I have never seen every parkade and lot within the SoPo area full, unless there is some sort of special event. And even then it is restricted to certain areas.

Don't buy it.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The parkade on Lombard that they tore down a heritage building for looks downright deserted whenever I look on workdays.

If on street parking is difficult that tells me that on street parking should cost more.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 10:58 PM
I am a typical

Within three blocks, it might be difficult, but go a bit further. I live on a street just outside down here, maybe a 10 minute walk from most of the places workers are going, and out of our street's over 1,000 parking spaces, almost none are ever used.

People simply won't park more than a block or two away from where they're going; three blocks would be extreme. Parking spaces that aren't near anything won't be used, even if parking lots nearby are at capacity. Parking downtown overflows onto sidestreets and lawns long before it overflows onto my street, which has actual parking.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Here are a few shots I snapped this afternoon of the very, very early stages of the expansion project at the RBC Convention Centre.

First, the general site overview. You can see that they are getting ready to start site prep:

Here's a close up of the Stuart Olson Dominion site office and the only construction equipment on site so far:

Photos by Esquire

Just wanted to add these great shots of the size and scope of the
new proposed convention centre and the massive parking lot that will soon
be a thing of the past, to the Convention Centre thread.
Thx for adding them Esquire..

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 5:25 PM

$180 million Winnipeg Convention Centre expansion and renovation underway
Construction has started.
The new facility will include multi-purpose divisible space, additional underground parking and main floor public assembly space.

The third floor will feature new exhibit space that will connect to the existing building and create over 135,000 sq. ft. of contiguous, pillarless trade and consumer show space.

http://www.joconl.com/article/id5604...peg%20manitoba

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 6:00 PM
ARTchitecture

You should post that in the Canada section! Very exciting! It will be one of the nicest convention centres in the country, up there with the new one in Vancouver!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
The parkade on Lombard that they tore down a heritage building for looks downright deserted whenever I look on workdays.

If on street parking is difficult that tells me that on street parking should cost more.
On street parking should cost more, because the demand is greater (regardless of the cost of construction).

The WRHA parkade and Bedford parkade on King are also pretty quiet ...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
You should post that in the Canada section! Very exciting! It will be one of the nicest convention centres in the country, up there with the new one in Vancouver!
Great idea Chad, very true..

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 8:17 PM

Taken From Winnipeg Constuction Thread- VIII
Update/Site Prep:Wpg,Convention Centre:

Posted: Yesterday, 5:18 PM
JamieDavid Exchange

Convention Centre Expansion

Photo by:JamieDavid Exchange

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 3:29 PM

Looks like the time has come to change status from proposed to u c.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post

Exactly this. On street parking doesn't cost enough. I ride the bus to work, I see the same car parked on Main street every single morning. On street parking should not be an option for workers downtown but it currently is.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:34 PM

That site is farther along than that picture shows. Foundation is well underway. They are clipping right along with this project.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 1:16 AM

Maybe the fastest moving project on the city, action all over the site

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 11:21 AM

I'm Glad to hear that.....what is the proposed completion date for this project?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 9:22 PM

Perhaps it's time to change the name of this thread from PROPOSED to Under Construction?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 9:39 PM

Question, maybe TV can answer.

Will the white, metal exterior that exists on the current building be changed as well? Seems to be in fairly good shape from the renovation a while back. I know the whole building will be undergoing renovations, not just the addition.

The exterior in the renderings seems to look very similar.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 9:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

does not count till the foundation is done

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
does not count till the foundation is done
Gotcha! Thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan