HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
That's a big win for the area since Nate Paul originally planned storage units for the property.
Storage units are the only thing he actually builds, so that was a big win.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 12:27 AM
Resident Moron

My guess is if they took over the old end of an ear it means that whole low-rise parking lot thing is gone. So Soup Peddlar and the cupcake shop.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 1:36 AM

Haven't seen any updates on this on the forum and haven't been down to south congress in a while, so not sure if this is news to anyone but me

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190...5OtdpmaZ0Fsvx4

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 3:02 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

So it's called Music Lane including a street also named Music Lane, and yet they didn't even incorporate one music venue into the development??? Huge missed opportunity IMO.

What they should have done is actually create a mini live music strip on the Music Lane side to capitalize on the name which would add to the enhancement of SoCo as a major entertainment destination.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 1:28 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I could be late to the party, but I saw some site prep going on at a lot south of Manchaca/Slaughter. Next to Moontower. I looked it up, and found out a new Top Notch Hamburgers is going to be built in that area.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...PGKr-1498cxhwj

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...other-database

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 1:45 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Another new HEB: FM 1826 & 290 to replace the one at the Y.

https://communityimpact.com/local-ne...d-in-february/

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:04 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I could be late to the party, but I saw some site prep going on at a lot south of Manchaca/Slaughter. Next to Moontower. I looked it up, and found out a new Top Notch Hamburgers is going to be built in that area.
I continue to be utterly fascinated by the emerging entertainment district on this otherwise unlikely stretch of Manchaca Road, and so far south as well. Really the only reason there is for it existing, unless there's something I don't know, was Moontower Saloon opening. For me, it actually draws parallels to Rainey Street, which also seemed a rather unlikely strip before the bars began to open. I also think there must be something unique to Austin's culture that leads to the genesis of these areas, and I think it's awesome.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...PGKr-1498cxhwj

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...other-database
There is also another Top Notch planned for Hutto.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ch-burger.html

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:16 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I continue to be utterly fascinated by the emerging entertainment district on this otherwise unlikely stretch of Manchaca Road, and so far south as well. Really the only reason there is for it existing, unless there's something I don't know, was Moontower Saloon opening. For me, it actually draws parallels to Rainey Street, which also seemed a rather unlikely strip before the bars began to open. I also think there must be something unique to Austin's culture that leads to the genesis of these areas, and I think it's awesome.
It's probably because the city limits end just north of there. These places are in the Austin ETJ, but not Austin proper.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:57 AM

The Statesman had an article with updates about HEB's South Austin store closings and openings. There is more going on with HEB in South Austin than I thought, and 1K jobs are being created:

The SoCo HEB rendering:

https://www.statesman.com/business/2...-add-1000-jobs

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:22 AM
Meh

Quote:
H-E-B said it will also close its store at South First Street and William Cannon Drive. The location, which was leased by H-E-B in 1994, needs substantial utility and facility repairs and at 31,000 square feet is one of the chain's smaller stores, the company said. It is scheduled to be shuttered on April 2.
That really sucks big time. That's my grocery store. I love that it's small and less chaotic than the big stores. I've gone to the bigger stores at Slaughter and at Brodie, and they've been out of stuff that the South First "little HEB" had plenty of and stuff that they didn't even carry. Plus, I can ride my bicycle up there and still be able to carry home anything I need to get. I can still ride to the Slaughter store if I want, but it would be a lot less convenient and a much less pleasant ride. Those other two stores are about 3 miles away, and I could ride up to the little one in less than 10 minutes. The ride to the one on South First is mostly through our neighborhood, whereas a ride to the one on Slaughter would have me riding down Manchaca dealing with the hills and traffic. The Brodie store just wouldn't be worth it for me to ride to at all. People drive like maniacs on Manchaca and Slaughter. I've lost count at how many bad accidents I've seen there.

Anyway, I wonder what they'll do with that space at South First. Before HEB leased it in 1994, it was a Fiesta Mart for a few years, and before that, it had sat vacant for at least 5 years or more. Before that, there was a grocery store there called Warehouse Grocery, which I don't think operates anymore. We lived on South First in the early 80s and would walk to that grocery store. The Family Dollar store is also closing in that shopping center, but a new laundry mat is opening there. McDonalds also tore down and rebuilt their restaurant that had been there since I was a kid. Now I'm wondering what will replace the HEB and Family Dollar and what it'll mean for the future of the shopping center.

One of the things I always say is when you buy a house or are looking for a place to rent, consider how close your grocery store is because it's likely going to be the one business you need most often and sometimes at inconvenient hours.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That really sucks big time. That's my grocery store. I love that it's small and less chaotic than the big stores. I've gone to the bigger stores at Slaughter and at Brodie, and they've been out of stuff that the South First "little HEB" had plenty of and stuff that they didn't even carry. Plus, I can ride my bicycle up there and still be able to carry home anything I need to get. I can still ride to the Slaughter store if I want, but it would be a lot less convenient and a much less pleasant ride. Those other two stores are about 3 miles away, and I could ride up to the little one in less than 10 minutes. The ride to the one on South First is mostly through our neighborhood, whereas a ride to the one on Slaughter would have me riding down Manchaca dealing with the hills and traffic. The Brodie store just wouldn't be worth it for me to ride to at all. People drive like maniacs on Manchaca and Slaughter. I've lost count at how many bad accidents I've seen there.

Anyway, I wonder what they'll do with that space at South First. Before HEB leased it in 1994, it was a Fiesta Mart for a few years, and before that, it had sat vacant for at least 5 years or more. Before that, there was a grocery store there called Warehouse Grocery, which I don't think operates anymore. We lived on South First in the early 80s and would walk to that grocery store. The Family Dollar store is also closing in that shopping center, but a new laundry mat is opening there. McDonalds also tore down and rebuilt their restaurant that had been there since I was a kid. Now I'm wondering what will replace the HEB and Family Dollar and what it'll mean for the future of the shopping center.

One of the things I always say is when you buy a house or are looking for a place to rent, consider how close your grocery store is because it's likely going to be the one business you need most often and sometimes at inconvenient hours.
I shopped at that Warehouse Grocery when I first moved to Austin. It was a brand new shopping center anchored by the Warehouse Grocery. That area was minimally developed at the time, but a lot of new subdivisions were U/C.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:50 AM
Meh

Yep. The neighborhood my parents grew up in just half a mile west of there dates back to the 60s, and there were no other neighborhoods around back then. The old satellite maps basically show it appearing to be an island of suburbanity in what was mostly rural countryside at the time. Now the Independent pokes up on the horizon looming over South First.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 11:19 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I don't think I've ever been inside that HEB at S 1st & Wm Cannon.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:09 PM

Ugh that sucks. I do like that HEB. I swear, if they raze or remodel the Allendale one I will riot! It's the exact replica of one in SA I would always go to that's since turned into a Gold's Gym

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Ugh that sucks. I do like that HEB. I swear, if they raze or remodel the Allendale one I will riot! It's the exact replica of one in SA I would always go to that's since turned into a Gold's Gym
The Allandale HEB has to be the worst one in north Austin. Sorry fam but I can't wait for that whole strip center to get the wrecking ball treatment. It's like stepping through a time warp going to that shopping center (in a bad way). Also what's up with that novelty t-shirt/cat memorabilia store and its weird hours? How do they stay in business?

Perhaps not coincidentally, that HEB is also the only place in Austin that I've ever been called a racial slur.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I have no problems with that HEB but it's definitely ready to be brought up to modern standards. I bet in the next 5-10 years it'll get the ol' South Congress/Oltorf treatment - bulldoze and replace.

Maybe if we're lucky they'll tear down the rest of that strip mall and build some density on that corridor.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 12:38 AM

SOUTH FIRST STREET — MIXED USE MULTI-FAMILY

Quote:
Currently in permitting, This 4 story multi-family mixed use project built over parking with ground floor retail/office. With nearly 60,000 feet, it will offer downtown views, a second floor pool and gym, covered parking, generous in building and on property amenities and recreation areas, this property will feature a creative design by Bercy Chen Architects.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:24 PM

The south end of SoCo is getting redeveloped, including the old Cinema West theater.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-becoming.html

Pix below, and some more historic pix here: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/733

Appropriate marquee. Source for both - google images

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:45 PM
Resident Moron

That was a skin-flick house when I was younger.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin