HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 3:06 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Windsor Hotel petition

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 6:37 PM

I'm signed up. This is ridiculous there are still people who frequent here especially for the jazz and to turn it into another parking lot which there is way too many to start with is inexcusable.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
I'm signed up. This is ridiculous there are still people who frequent here especially for the jazz and to turn it into another parking lot which there is way too many to start with is inexcusable.
It WAS the house of blues. Not so today. If there is a market for a blues venue it will be served elsewhere. Did ya read the story in the Freep? They apparently have not played jazz there in some time.

The building IS a dump. Let's not over-react...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 7:07 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i've been once its a dump yes but it could be fixed up if someone put money into it

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 7:16 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
It WAS the house of blues. Not so today. If there is a market for a blues venue it will be served elsewhere. Did ya read the story in the Freep? They apparently have not played jazz there in some time.

Actually..

I go there at least once every two weeks and I can safely say that the beverage room is surprisingly well kept and modern.

There's a ton of blues memorabilia in there as well as stuff of local interest such as a letter Charlie Chaplin wrote to the hotel's original owner.

Not sure about the "Hotel" itself, but the club definitely does a lot more for the vibrancy of the area then a surface parking lot ever will.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Not a chance I would sign to keep something that is a health and safty hazard. Unless someone (not Government) comes forward to gut it and turn it into something worthwhile, I say tear it down... It is called progress..
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 7:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:

WTF, I agree with grumpy, it was the house of blues but no longer is, the place always was a dump, that was part of the allure, tearing it down would be no loss to anyone beside the drunks who loiter outside panhandling change for a king can.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
WTF, I agree with grumpy...
Ya make that sound like a bad thing. Eventually everyone see's the light.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 9:54 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
WTF, I agree with grumpy, it was the house of blues but no longer is, the place always was a dump, that was part of the allure, tearing it down would be no loss to anyone beside the drunks who loiter outside panhandling change for a king can.
Excuse me, but i'm one of those guys..

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 9:55 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I don't think anyone necessarily laments the loss of the buildings. It's what they're being replaced with that's troubling.

If the club was being torn down for a new highrise condo then i'd be all for it. But it isn't, it will become yet another weed infested lot in a sea of weed infested lots.

Why will we need all this parking when there's little to nothing do downtown at night?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Excuse me, but i'm one of those guys..
You're a panhandling drunk looking for your next king can?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone necessarily laments the loss of the buildings. It's what they're being replaced with that's troubling.

If the club was being torn down for a new highrise condo then i'd be all for it. But it isn't, it will become yet another weed infested lot in a sea of weed infested lots.

Why will we need all this parking when there's little to nothing do downtown at night?
My guess is the current owner can't earn enough revenue to keep the building open. If they simply close they still have to pay the same property taxes. It they raze the building they pay less property taxes, likely earn more revenue, and wait until a better offer comes along from a developer.

Pure business.

If we, the City of Winnipeg, wish to discourage surface parking lots, change the property tax structure such that there is no benefit to raze buildings. Then provide tax incentives to make something else out of the property..

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 12:05 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
I'm proud to say I'm also "one of those guys" who frequents the Windsor! The lounge itself it quite nice, IMO. The vagrancy issues arise due to the beer vendor, in the same hotel but separate from the lounge. They'd be the ones found stumbling in front of the building.

With only a few exceptions, I can be found there every Friday evening and OTL is usually there with me as well (we'd be the guys found debating about the CMHR!). There is actually quite a decent crowd of us 9-5 office-types there on a Friday after work. Still need convincing it is an alright lounge? Stop by and I'll gladly buy any of you a beer.

Hope there is nothing to this story... otherwise I'll be back to drinking at Bleachers/Vendome Hotel located alongside Murder Alley.

Anyway, there is no shortage of surface lots either across the street from or kitty corner to the future location of the Public Safety Building. If the city wants to build a multi-level parkade for the PSB, I'd rather it be built on those already existing lots.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Jan 7, 2010 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 12:11 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
I don't think anyone necessarily laments the loss of the buildings.
I think that some people probably do. Me included.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 12:50 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Just on friday's that aren't paydays.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 5:00 AM
surely you agree with me

i go there a few times a year...did more often a few years ago....the place is fine, but that is not the issue.

progress is not tearing down a building because you can make more money renting it as a parking lot....or as some escape from property tax....i do agree that the tax structure should be changed , but there also needs to be adherance to a proper downtown development plan like in most other cities....you could easily make it difficult to get properties re-zoned for parking....or to disallow demolition permits unless they can prove that there is no option or there is a better option.....most cities do that....

not everything can be explained as 'its business'....if the civic government gave a crap at all about our downtown they would quite easily be able to do something about it.....until then it will take the action of private people who care.....simply wringing your hands because that's business isnt helping the problem.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Still need convincing it is an alright lounge? Stop by and I'll gladly buy any of you a beer.
careful now

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 6:00 AM

That they would tear it down (and Mitzi's beside it) to build a parkade when there are far too many surface lots on which a parkade could be built is what miffs me. They have had an offer to buy the building which they ignored. We need more buildings like those downtown, not less. How about filing the surface lots to the south of the Windsor with more 2 story buildings?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 6:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique View Post
careful now
ssp blues meet?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 6:43 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
progress is not tearing down a building because you can make more money renting it as a parking lot....or as some escape from property tax....i do agree that the tax structure should be changed , but there also needs to be adherance to a proper downtown development plan like in most other cities....you could easily make it difficult to get properties re-zoned for parking....or to disallow demolition permits unless they can prove that there is no option or there is a better option.....most cities do that....

not everything can be explained as 'its business'....if the civic government gave a crap at all about our downtown they would quite easily be able to do something about it.....until then it will take the action of private people who care.....simply wringing your hands because that's business isnt helping the problem.
you got that right... why the city can't do the right thing and roll up their sleeves already, instead we are suppose to wait and think that the new 'our winnipeg' (with the place maker speakupwinnipeg) make planning all better. Sorry but I am skeptical.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan