HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 5:25 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_PHX View Post
"And though Esparza isn't yet ready to reveal details, she feels like rather than closing Barrio Cafe, she is passing the torch to "the son I never knew I had," who will open a new restaurant concept in the space."

"He'll take ownership of our own roots, power and culture," she said. "That inspiration is for all the young chicanitos. Don't give up. It's your right. Own it. Get so big that other cultures can't appropriate you."
A new name and identity will be helpful to "the son [she] never knew [she] had." It will allow him to establish his own restaurant without being beholden to complainers who object when things change, even if they change for the better or in a way that is just different without being worse.

Last edited by exit2lef; Mar 21, 2024 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
A new name and identity will be helpful to "the son [she] never knew [she] had." It will allow him to establish his own restaurant without being beholden to complainers who object when things change, even if they change for the better or in a way that is just different without being worse.
Sounds like it'll be Rene Andrade. He'd already done it before with her Gran Reserva (now Bacanora), I think it makes sense. It'll be a bigger spot and hopefully make his stuff more accessible too.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 7:36 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by halicem View Post
Sounds like it'll be Rene Andrade. He'd already done it before with her Gran Reserva (now Bacanora), I think it makes sense. It'll be a bigger spot and hopefully make his stuff more accessible too.
Isn't he busy with Bacanora and Huarachi's? If he make can make three places work, good for him.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Barrio Cafe is closing May 31st.

I thought that institution would be around forever.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...g/73040063007/
Ran into the owner once at the Acai place next door - she is a bit of a nutjob, I could just feel it in my bones. I'm not surprised, although the food was good, the space was underwhelming for all the hype. Just my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 4:15 AM

One of the best Chefs to do it. The outpour of love from other Chefs in the Valley is a testament to the role she played in making the Phoenix restaurant scene what it is today.

A shame she was never able to get over the hump and win a James Beard award. Her cochinita pibil will be missed…

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest