HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 10:43 PM
I am a typical

People will use their cars to go for dinner after games. Walking is for Europeans.

At least you don't have hills. We can't build a new event centre downtown in Thunder Bay because downtown is on a hill, and wheelchair-bound people will roll into the lake if they try to reach it.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy0019 View Post
incorporating both stadium chat, and restaurants- with earls closing, what is left within walking/quick transit distance from the stadium now for pre-post games? applebees(once open again), Nicolinos, BP, Tavern United?? maybe throw in Pony Coral into the mix. its slim picking in the south end of pembina for space to go around. everything is in st vital or keneston common, neither is near walkable
Long term, this will definitely be addressed through the redevelopment of the University lands (former Southwood golf course). They are (slowly) developing a planning for a medium-density mixed use community, which would undoubtedly include a pedestrian friendly environment, with some restaurants and bars. Of course, it will be much a much shorter wait to just wait and see what takes over the Earls space

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 10:17 PM
BANNED

Winnipeg restaurant scene expanding with new eateries

http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/scene/foo...cene-in-bloom/

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
Winnipeg restaurant scene expanding with new eateries

http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/scene/foo...cene-in-bloom/
I know one the silent partners in Local Burger and another owner is an ex-bomber. There rooftop patio is going to be rocking!

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 5:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

anyone see the la bomba padio on portage sweet

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Sorry to sound like a Debbie Downer, but the last place where I would sit down to eat is in front of a Dollarama near a major bus stop that is notorious for attracting vagrants. I would sooner eat in the back alley then there. Perhaps if it was like a patio setup like what Moxies has, I would change my opinion then. The sooner CentreVenture or someone buys that Dollarama and the Bargain Store on the other side the better the city can really concentrate on seriously developing the SHED.

In keeping a positive note, Fox and Fiddle is preparing to construct a patio out front of their restaurant. I'm keeping optimistic that this setup will attract customers. I was hoping they would have removed some of the parking in the lot just south of them, construct a wood deck, and have seating on that side instead. Southern exposure, landscaped trees, a fence blocking from heavy pedestrian traffic already in place would have been in their favor for possibly becoming the best outdoor patio in the whole downtown IMO.

Last edited by JamieDavid Exchange; May 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 1:57 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
It has been there for at least 6 months now.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 4:42 PM

Went to Earl's on Main last week and I forgot how 90's Perkins it looks like in the restaurant! We were seated directly beside the sever stand which is separated by a piece of glass. So it was constant severs standing over our table... Food and service was great, looking forward to the rebuild.

Went to Wild Wings on Regent last night. Smaller restaurant but the food was great! The wings are just the right size to me. Not too large and full of breading, yet not too small. Flavours were great!

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 4:35 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
People will use their cars to go for dinner after games. Walking is for Europeans.

At least you don't have hills. We can't build a new event centre downtown in Thunder Bay because downtown is on a hill, and wheelchair-bound people will roll into the lake if they try to reach it.
Make them install emergency floating mechanisms. Why should everyone else have to suffer?

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
Sorry to sound like a Debbie Downer, but the last place where I would sit down to eat is in front of a Dollarama near a major bus stop that is notorious for attracting vagrants. I would sooner eat in the back alley then there. Perhaps if it was like a patio setup like what Moxies has, I would change my opinion then. The sooner CentreVenture or someone buys that Dollarama and the Bargain Store on the other side the better the city can really concentrate on seriously developing the SHED.

In keeping a positive note, Fox and Fiddle is preparing to construct a patio out front of their restaurant. I'm keeping optimistic that this setup will attract customers. I was hoping they would have removed some of the parking in the lot just south of them, construct a wood deck, and have seating on that side instead. Southern exposure, landscaped trees, a fence blocking from heavy pedestrian traffic already in place would have been in their favor for possibly becoming the best outdoor patio in the whole downtown IMO.
Well Jamie, judging by the amount of people that I see sitting there when I walk past, there are enough who disagree with you to make your opinions really unvalidated. However I do agree that the Dollarama and Bargain Shop would be better off somewhere else.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 4:57 AM

Ate lunch at Shawarma Khan on Friday. Good, filling meal for a decent price. Was amazed at how many people were there. Things have definitely picked up in the Exchange District over the last few years.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 2:15 PM

Winnipeg sure added a lot more then a quality O-lineman in the Renegades dispersal draft. Obby Khan is a beauty.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 6:34 PM

Does anyone know what the present status of the Santa Lucia rooftop patios is at St. Mary's Road? I've heard through a friend that they can't open them due to the wrong kind of glass being installed on the railing, and they're tied up in court with the contractor over it. You'd think they'd just replace the bloody glass and get those seats open and worry about cost-recovery later... that has got to be the best 'closed' patio in town right now.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Does anyone know what the present status of the Santa Lucia rooftop patios is at St. Mary's Road? I've heard through a friend that they can't open them due to the wrong kind of glass being installed on the railing, and they're tied up in court with the contractor over it. You'd think they'd just replace the bloody glass and get those seats open and worry about cost-recovery later... that has got to be the best 'closed' patio in town right now.
not sure what the latest fiasco is but summer 2011 & summer 2012 it was closed because they didn't put in an elavator despite their permit telling them they had to. that got rectified throughout the winter and elevator is in place. with the crappy weather we had during those summers, i'm sure they didn't lose too much business

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 3:39 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
not sure what the latest fiasco is but summer 2011 & summer 2012 it was closed because they didn't put in an elavator despite their permit telling them they had to. that got rectified throughout the winter and elevator is in place. with the crappy weather we had during those summers, i'm sure they didn't lose too much business
I just returned from my annual May long weekend patio tour in Toronto. Pretty well very single bar or restaurant I've been in there (75+) have bathrooms in the basement or upstairs. All rooftop patios are reached by stairs, I have never seen an elevator. Why do establishments in Manitoba have it so much more difficult?

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 5:15 AM

so whos going to take over that papa georges spot on osborne? seems like a prime location for a company to take over.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 7:45 PM

apparently theres a sign somewhere saying that clay oven is taking over the space at hu's on first by the baseball stadium? anyone that can confirm this?

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 7:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctochico View Post
apparently theres a sign somewhere saying that clay oven is taking over the space at hu's on first by the baseball stadium? anyone that can confirm this?
It is now open.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It is now open.
Suprised a "sports themed" place didn't open up. Eating East Indian food while watching a ball game seems weird to me? Now so was easting Asian food, but at least it had a quirky name associated to baseball.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Suprised a "sports themed" place didn't open up. Eating East Indian food while watching a ball game seems weird to me? Now so was easting Asian food, but at least it had a quirky name associated to baseball.
Seems really weird to me, especially since it's targetting a specific market. Can't see it doing well there, but I'm saying that as someone who doesn't like that kind of food. They're probably smart enough to know how it will do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan