HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canada is a wealthy country but does not rank highly in terms of productivity or innovation.
This is very likely true, and a big problem for our country, but it’s hard to assess how bad it is, since our official record-keeping on economic activity is pretty lousy. American labour market and productivity data is more industry-specific, occupation-specific, geographically-specific and, above all, free for anyone to download and examine. I think this might speak to the differences in priorities between the two countries.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 5:37 PM

It makes me thinking, statistics is a whole branch of applied mathematics. We're calling it 'data science' today.
It's no easy matter to deal with, requiring a lot of training. You need to grow familiar with probability theory in particular. I think so far, it's been a touchy branch of math, because the process of rating or qualifying some phenomenon as a whole based on random events is something very hard to strictly define in math. That's how statistical/data samples have been disturbing to real math nerds, I believe. It still lacks strictness. There's a lot of things to be done in that particular branch.

Nevertheless, there's a whole lot of future in this science, without a doubt. For example, contemporary technology such as machine learning and manufacturing quality control absolutely need it.
I know some of you on here have kids. Tell them about it. They would find some bright careers in this essential branch.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
That's not necessarily anything bad to us all in the West, is it?
It will help us grow wiser, to develop better partnerships throughout the Western world.
Sadly, we all somehow need an opponent of some kind to eventually turn smarter.
Considering China at this very moment is running concentration camps and actively increasing the size of them I'm not exactly jumping for joy at the thought of China being increasingly powerful.

Though obviously the West will by far comfortably keep the vast majority of power and wealth on this earth for the foreseeable future. But that doesn't mean China should be underestimated.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 10:43 PM

Just ran across this report. It is filled with interesting tables regarding projected population and economic growth of the world's largest cities. I am not sure I agree with some of the conclusions, but, if you like comparative tables, this might interest you.

https://www.oxfordeconomics.com/Medi...es-summary.pdf

Last edited by austlar1; Dec 26, 2019 at 11:02 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions