HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
How do you define world class? Because sa really doesn't have any amenities that establish a city as world class (restaurants, hotels, residential living, etc.). I guess in spirit, maybe? Kind of like that spirit you see at a high school prep rally.
THAT'S JUST IT! YOU CANNOT DEFINE WORLD CLASS.....
SAN ANTONIO HAS RECEIVED LOTS OF AWARDS FOR HOTELS, RESTAURANTS, AND RESIDENTIAL PLACES. DON'T AK ME TO LIST THEM PLEASE BECAUSE I READ ABOUT THEM IN THE NEWS

SO EVERYONE WOULD CONSIDER THEIR CITY WORLD CLASS....

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:13 PM

Exactly AwsomeSAView! If our opinion is its world-class, that's our opinion. & if it someones opinions that it's not that's cool too! Remember people, these are opinions here, let's not put them down because they don't agree with yours! & by the way SAView, I happen to know there is a lot more than two of us that think so!)

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:17 PM
JACKinBeantown

For example: how many cities in the world (outside of Mexico) have better Mexican food? By that criterion alone, San Antonio is world class. There are other categories too, of course.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
For example: how many cities in the world (outside of Mexico) have better Mexican food? By that criterion alone, San Antonio is world class. There are other categories too, of course.
I've never heard of a 5-star restaurant with Mexican good only (not some infused BS) residing in SA. The few nationally known restaurants in SA (too few), such as Bigna on the Banks and Bella on the River (both are incredible) are the types of restaurants we need more of. As for hotels, we need more 4 and 5 star. I think we only have one - the Watermark.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
I've never heard of a 5-star restaurant with Mexican good only (not some infused BS) residing in SA.
Now you have http://restaurantmixtli.com/menu/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:35 PM

The hotel Emma is definitely world class. It's been featured in many articles as one of the best hotels in the world right now and drawing considerable press.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:53 PM

You definitely hit the nail on the head there SA_Pride! Also, people travel from around the world to see the missions that are here, and there's also something in San Antonio called the Riverwalk, anyone ever hear of it?!?!?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:02 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Can't we just be a nice place to live without labeling ourselves "world class"? Applying that label to ourselves just oozes insecurity (to me) unless you're like New York or something.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:37 PM

SA is definitely world class when it comes to cuisine, as the tex-mex capital of the world. I have seen tex-mex restaurants in Paris and Barcelona, as anecdotal evidence that it is a form of cuisine appreciated and respected around the world. But don't take my word for it, SA is a UNESCO "Creative City of Gastronomy", which is literally world-class recognition.

https://therivardreport.com/unesco-s...of-gastronomy/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
You definitely hit the nail on the head there SA_Pride! Also, people travel from around the world to see the missions that are here, and there's also something in San Antonio called the Riverwalk, anyone ever hear of it?!?!?
San Antonio = A Unique World Class City = Hotel Emma, the historic Riverwalk. The UNESCO World Heritage San Antonio Missions, and now a Historically designated downtown.....

I can go on ....., The Pearl redevelopment, The Museum Reach Riverwalk Redevelopment , Ruby City by Linda Pace

Absolutely world class

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:23 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Can't we just be a nice place to live without labeling ourselves "world class"? Applying that label to ourselves just oozes insecurity (to me) unless you're like New York or something.
Must compete. Must compete.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 6:55 PM
James

Quote:
Must compete. Must compete.

In other news, it's exciting to look at DT and see so many cranes. That hasn't ever happened in my lifetime.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post

In other news, it's exciting to look at DT and see so many cranes. That hasn't ever happened in my lifetime.
I was thinking the same thing this morning as I was driving to work. It's exciting to see so much activity downtown. Plus we should be seeing more cranes soon once the Thompson and Canopy get further along as well as the new Graystreet tower by Broadway and the JMJ tower (if that project is still a go).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 7:59 PM
James

Mixed-Income Apartments in the Works for Historic Friedrich Property

Quote:
The Friedrich Lofts would have one- and two-bedroom units, 173 of which would be market rate and 174 of which would be affordable – meaning those units will be priced for people earning 60 percent to 80 percent of the area’s median income (AMI). The plan is still preliminary, and depends on a number of financial factors, but developers told the board that rents for affordable units would range from $667 to $1,144. The average market-rate unit would be about $1,400. There will be 14 units for 60 percent AMI residents and 160 units for 80 percent AMI residents.

Commerce is on the right side of this rendering.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 8:48 PM
JACKinBeantown

No mention of ground level retail. Hard to tell from the renderings, but I assume none.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 8:58 PM

Quote:
No mention of ground level retail. Hard to tell from the renderings, but I assume none.
Doesn't mention it in the article, but the renderings do seem to have retail space. I'm gonna be positive on this one and say it will

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 10:57 PM
James

I'm the thinking the existing building will house retail.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
I'd be surprised if the area under that awning isn't retail. I don't see any doors, but if it were residential I'd expect tehre to be ast least some implied separation from the sidewalk (vegetation/landscaping, change of grade, etc). No one wants to live in a unit everyone can see into from the sidewalk.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 6:14 PM

I'm all for retail in multi-family projects. But if they chose not to include it in this particular project, I would understand that. This area is still very raw and it could take years for retail to take root at the rent prices a multi-family property would need to charge to justify the construction cost.

Several of the Broadway or near-Broadway projects still have empty retail suites and they're in premium locations. Friedrich is not a premium locale, so attracting retail could be a tall order. That said, kudos to them if they do retail.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHorn View Post
I'm all for retail in multi-family projects. But if they chose not to include it in this particular project, I would understand that. This area is still very raw and it could take years for retail to take root at the rent prices a multi-family property would need to charge to justify the construction cost.

Several of the Broadway or near-Broadway projects still have empty retail suites and they're in premium locations. Friedrich is not a premium locale, so attracting retail could be a tall order. That said, kudos to them if they do retail.
My thoughts exactly. Not everything needs retail, especially this area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio