HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Nanaimo has always been a shithole, those who can't cut it on Vancouver Island end up living there.

I've travelled through dozens of European cities and never saw the numbers of panhandlers that you see here, I sincerely doubt the social safety net in most European countries is any better than it is here.
It's very well-known that most European countries have far more generous social safety nets than we do.....

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:26 PM

I may be wrong but I would guess that the homeless numbers are proportionally lower in Winnipeg than in expensive cities like Toronto, Vancouver, NYC, etc. Obviously Winnipeg doesn't get the same level of reporting as these cities but a lot of what I'm hearing is that the unaffordability of these big cities is really contributing to their homelessness situation. That problem doesn't really exist here.

I've said it before but I think it's mainly the lack of people with some means walking on the streets (and thus lack of businesses) compared to people struggling with poverty that make Winnipegers think that there is some disproportionate homelessness crisis happening here. If we increase the number of "well-off" people living in central neighbourhoods hopefully this misconception will start to disappear.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:30 PM

^ I would agree with that take. I don't think there are inordinate numbers of homeless people or indigents walking around the streets, it's just that we have an acute shortage of people on the streets in general which accentuates the street-people presence.

When you go to NYC on vacation you probably go by vast numbers of street people, but you don't really remember them because they blend into the well dressed hordes surrounding them on the sidewalk.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:06 PM

Construction Update - 703 St Annes Road

703 St Annes Road
Developers: ALSTON PROPERTIES LTD.
Architect(s) : AtLRG Architecture
Renderings & Construction pics: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=144
Description: 33 new rental apartments located on the banks of The Seine River in Winnipeg

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 8:17 PM

Thanks for all the updates. Nice to see that building looking more contemporary than its neighbour to the left.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

Saw a homeless guy on interviewed on TV who was living at the squatter camp in the park on the NW corner of Disraeli, said he makes $40 a day panhandling, enough for food and his girlfriends cigarettes, guy looked able bodied for work but with his and his girls combined welfare and tax free panhandling "earnings" why bother right!

In a society where just about everything is provided for those who don't feel the need to look after themselves or contribute to society maybe the social safety net is too good and becomes a disincentive to be productive!
So if I'm following this right... your suggesting that people are living outdoors in tents beside a bridge, because they get too much welfare money? That might be the most illogical thing I've heard all month, which says a lot considering we just had an election.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 5:44 AM

^^Hey look – black cladding done right! Doesn't take much.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 11:19 PM

989 Ducharme Avenue

Terrasse Boisjoli
Developer: https://legatumdevelopment.co/
Architect(s): 5468796 Architecture Inc
Renderings & Construction pics: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=103
Media: Renaissance underway in St. Norbert, Planned residential complex incorporates elements of Franco-Manitoban architecture
Description: Terrasse Boisjoli is a new 5 storey mixed-use multi-family project consisting of 40 1-and 2-bedroom suites, in-suite laundry, 9ft ceilings, heated indoor parking, and commercial space on the ground floor.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Oct 27, 2019 at 6:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 1:40 AM

30UC
Address: 30 University Crescent
Location: https://www.google.com/maps/place/30...6!4d-97.150574
Architects: http://www.bldgoffice.com/30-university-crescent
Developer: Paragon Design Build https://paragondesignbuild.com/
Renderings & Construction pics: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=137
Media: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...506020412.html
Description: Seven storey 104 unit multi-family residential building

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 1:41 AM

^ St. Norbert is going to have such a weird mishmash of lowrise condo styles once that Boisjoli project is finished.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 2:32 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ St. Norbert is going to have such a weird mishmash of lowrise condo styles once that Boisjoli project is finished.
indeed

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think the silly roof requirements in the area are doing it a disservice it is starting to look very in-cohesive. On that note I do like the look of Boisjoli.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 4:29 AM

The original red bricks being revealed on the Winnipeg Hotel.

https://twitter.com/BrantDHarvey/sta...485329409?s=20

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 2:27 PM

Wow! They didn't waste any time getting started on the Wpg Hotel, did they? I'm looking forward to seeing that street-level facade be removed.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Wow! They didn't waste any time getting started on the Wpg Hotel, did they? I'm looking forward to seeing that street-level facade be removed.
As of 2 months ago there still no plan in place for it – they just took possession Oct. 1, and are still assessing what (if anything) is salvageable. Was told they're still not 100% sure if the building can handle substantial renovations. Not that they think that – but literally the last owner didn't know or take care of it, and they bought it sight unseen essentially.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
As of 2 months ago there still no plan in place for it – they just took possession Oct. 1, and are still assessing what (if anything) is salvageable. Was told they're still not 100% sure if the building can handle substantial renovations. Not that they think that – but literally the last owner didn't know or take care of it, and they bought it sight unseen essentially.
I happened to get a tour of the Winnipeg Hotel 3 days ago by Ryan Pollard. Amazing level of decay in there. He confirmed that they still don't know to what extent they can salvage any of the existing building. There was a stained glass window on the second floor, north wall that he said may be the only part worth saving. The place reeked of urine and was full of people's discarded belongings. It's as if everyone just up and walked out without taking any of their possessions. There were a few bikes laying around in various states of being chopped up. Down in the bar there was a stray cat and he mentioned they'd been trapping them since taking possession.

The whole scene was a disaster, I can't wrap my head around the fact the the province is paying the lion's share of people's rents there and at other SROs that may very well be just as unlivable. The landlords get upwards of $4/sq foot! A rough calculation would suggest they are making money hand over fist while never investing a dime in those places. Yet if we crack down and close those places then all those people have nowhere to go, its a conundrum. Surely there is a better use of that provincial money though.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 7:16 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
I happened to get a tour of the Winnipeg Hotel 3 days ago by Ryan Pollard. Amazing level of decay in there. He confirmed that they still don't know to what extent they can salvage any of the existing building. There was a stained glass window on the second floor, north wall that he said may be the only part worth saving. The place reeked of urine and was full of people's discarded belongings. It's as if everyone just up and walked out without taking any of their possessions. There were a few bikes laying around in various states of being chopped up. Down in the bar there was a stray cat and he mentioned they'd been trapping them since taking possession.

The whole scene was a disaster, I can't wrap my head around the fact the the province is paying the lion's share of people's rents there and at other SROs that may very well be just as unlivable. The landlords get upwards of $4/sq foot! A rough calculation would suggest they are making money hand over fist while never investing a dime in those places. Yet if we crack down and close those places then all those people have nowhere to go, its a conundrum. Surely there is a better use of that provincial money though.
Does WPS and the province just never shut these places down? Like, how hard can it be to implement a "no entry" order and charge the landowner with criminal negligence & living off proceeds of crime? Sounds like alot of sketchy bullshit, across the board... always got a bad vibe, from that place anyway. Walking by it before I left Winnipeg, it looked sketch to begin with, with people always staring at you and everything. Maybe thats why nobody considers that stretch of Main to be "pedestrian friendly", along with the diner shootings and everything else. And its sad.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post

Im ok with them not being able to restore the interior and salvage much, as long as the facade is restored and a new modern boutique hotel opens inside that's a win win for that strip of Main.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Im ok with them not being able to restore the interior and salvage much, as long as the facade is restored and a new modern boutique hotel opens inside that's a win win for that strip of Main.
That would be great, perhaps include the empty lot next to it.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
That would be great, perhaps include the empty lot next to it.
They have a plaza/patio planned for that lot, unfortunately no new build to bridge that gap between the two developments.

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan