HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
The comments on the KENS 5 page remind me of why SA is behind the times. "Too much glass" ..."it doesn't fit in with the area" "SA has lost its uniqueness". Just imagine how these comments would look if reflective toward people. It's no different. A diversified population is always better for the cultural integrity of a city or community. Similar, the diversification of architecture is what makes a city unique and beautiful and powerful.
Did you really only focus on a FB live video’s negative comments.

That is like going to twitter for anything of substance.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post

That's generally how I topic of discussion is discussed.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:15 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
From my City employee source.

What a beautiful sight. For anyone not happy with this building, they need to rub the boogers out of their eyes and put their spectacles on.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
What a beautiful sight. For anyone not happy with this building, they need to rub the boogers out of their eyes and put their spectacles on.
Here here!

And just wait for it to be lit up at night! What a beauty it will be against the night skyline. And this time next year, we will have two new high rises finished or nearing finished.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post

Unfortunately, those FB sentiments are too common in San Antonio. If you're old enough, you know the history of such negativity.

If you're not, then take it from somebody who is. We could have the ATT center in downtown, but for the negative nabobs. Now, it is outside the core, and has not spurred the activity promised. Yes, the County stepped up and got it built, but there are many on the East side yet to see the promise of economic expansion the arena was sold to spur, pun intended.

You may dismiss those FB voices, but they are the same voices that have been holding San Antonio back for decades.

ETA: I do agree with the comments that it should be taller. WE are Frost's HQ. It should have been grand in both design and height. I won't change my mind on that.

Last edited by Restless 1; Aug 24, 2018 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 4:00 AM

And for the record, the comments I've seen on the same page are positive. You have to remember, we have not seen construction as this since the Hyatt.

It's a beautiful building. I've said it time and time again, but even my wife, who doesn't really care about such things, is disappointed with the height.

It is what it is.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 4:01 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Unfortunately, those FB sentiments are too common in San Antonio. If you're old enough, you know the history of such negativity.

If you're not, then take it from somebody who is. We could have the ATT center in downtown, but for the negative nabobs. Now, it is outside the core, and has not spurred the activity promised. Yes, the County stepped up and got it built, but there are many on the East side yet to see the promise of economic expansion the arena was sold to spur, pun intended.

You may dismiss those FB voices, but they are the same voices that have been holding San Antonio back for decades.

ETA: I do agree with the comments that it should be taller. WE are Frost's HQ. It should have been grand in both design and height. I won't change my mind on that.
I’m not sure you understand history as well as you think you do. The ATT Center didn’t get built downtown or in the urban core because of “negative nabobs”, whatever that means.

It’s a lot more complicated than that and a major reason for it not being built downtown was Peter Holts not wanting it too close to the Riverwalk as he feared it would pull potential in arena spending on food and drinks. But there were other things that stalled and ultimately led to the arena being built on county land.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 4:40 AM

[IMG]Frost Logo is up by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]
I really wish I knew it was going up today. I see they will be installing up to 4 logos around the building.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 5:55 AM

So if this were twenty floors taller, with the same design, would people be saying that it should be shorter?

If it’s so perfect in its current iteration...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
So if this were twenty floors taller, with the same design, would people be saying that it should be shorter?

If it’s so perfect in its current iteration...
I think perfect would be 20 floors taller.... lol

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 6:13 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Alright people. It’s the height it is. Let’s move on.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 1:41 PM

I want to see pictures of the new Frost from afar? Does anyone have some to share?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:58 PM

Looks like they're lowering a crane, perhaps to take it down?

I think the building is beautiful. I can't wait to see the finished, lit up product at night. As for people commenting about the building on KENS 5 FB page, just remember that there will always be naysayers and nostalgics who are sensitive to new things.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntransplant View Post
Looks like they're lowering a crane, perhaps to take it down?

I think the building is beautiful. I can't wait to see the finished, lit up product at night. As for people commenting about the building on KENS 5 FB page, just remember that there will always be naysayers and nostalgics who are sensitive to new things.
It looks like they're going to install another Frost logo from where the position of the crane is currently at.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I’m not sure you understand history as well as you think you do. The ATT Center didn’t get built downtown or in the urban core because of “negative nabobs”, whatever that means.

It’s a lot more complicated than that and a major reason for it not being built downtown was Peter Holts not wanting it too close to the Riverwalk as he feared it would pull potential in arena spending on food and drinks. But there were other things that stalled and ultimately led to the arena being built on county land.
Your are only somewhat correct. The city leaders at the time were afraid of putting a tax to a vote. The County always wanted the AT&T Center by the Coliseum, along with the councilman of that district at the time, Mario Salas.

The county tried to work with the city, but the city was not interested, so the county put the hotel tax to a vote, and of course it passed in a landslide, which is funny, because up to the day of the vote, polls showed the vote to be a tossup,or even for the initiative to fail.

The city, and Howard Peak in particular, were not up to the task of standing up to a few anti-tax blue hairs, COPS, and Metro Alliance, that were very vocal at the time, and that is just a fact. Your Peter Holt assertion would need some justification other than your say so. It is more likely that Cindi Krier was in his ear every day, touting the County plan.

And if you don't know what a "nabob" is, buy a dictionary.

Last edited by Restless 1; Aug 24, 2018 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 9:20 PM

Love it. Looks great. Love the view from I10/I35 area.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 9:22 PM
James

I will try to take far away pics when I'm not driving. I always tend to be the one driving. It sucks.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I want to see pictures of the new Frost from afar? Does anyone have some to share?
I drive by this tower everyday. If you got Instagram, let me know and I'll send you some pics or video.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 12:07 AM

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 1:09 AM

Best pic my phone could do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio