HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 5:35 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Well that's completely unexpected. High ridership if it has on-base stops (though those would certainly be regulated)...
I don't think it could make on base stops.

Alex, could you map this line?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 1:52 PM
Closed account

Holy crap. That's amazing.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 3:50 PM

I wonder if/when the Exp-News is gonna report on this. Up to this point they've seemed pretty ambivalent about reporting on LRT (or anything related to transportation that doesn't involve Terri Hall or highway closures).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 4:08 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I don't think it could make on base stops.

Alex, could you map this line?
It won't be on-base, it stops between BAMC and FSH in non-federal land. I don't know if there's an exclusion zone, but there probably is and they'd probably create a base access point. I can't think of any military bases served directly by LRT in this way, but I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...882980e89e9a9f

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 6:19 PM

The Pentagon had a stop/transfer point on the D.C. metrorail. So did Navy Yard and NNMC(National Naval Medical Center)/Bethesda. Also on the stops were Crystal City and Hoffman which is where Army HR and Finance,Transportation,Logistics offices are. I know its not fair to compare that area since almost everyone there worked for the government in some way whether it was local, or federal, but we would have our fair share of gov. riders too.
The station just had I.D./credential checks as you exit the station if you choose to enter the building; the Pentagon had alot of civilian traffic every day, and I'm sure BAMC and FSH have their fair share too, with the museums, civilian business offices being built such as Old BAMC II, visitors to the CFI and BAMC and increase in student graduations.
I'm sure if this came to be, BAMC or FSH would have similar checks and if you can't get on Post, you just have to wait for the next car.

Last edited by miaht82; Aug 5, 2008 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 6:29 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
The Pentagon had a stop/transfer point on the D.C. metrorail. So did Navy Yard and NNMC(National Naval Medical Center)/Bethesda. Also on the stops were Crystal City and Hoffman which is where Army HR and Finance,Transportation,Logistics offices are. I know its not fair to compare that area since almost everyone there worked for the government in some way whether it was local, or federal, but we would have our fair share of gov. riders too.
Ah! You answered in your edit. Thanks

This is all so exciting!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 6:33 PM

I forgot FSH is a post not a base.

Though how are they getting from FSH to the 10/East of Clark line?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 6:37 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:

I imagine through 410-- path of least resistance.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 7:06 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:

MySa says they are publishing "the plan to save Camp Bullis" tomorrow. i wonder if this will be part of it...?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 7:55 PM

kyle, do you have a link to that mysa article?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 8:59 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
kyle, do you have a link to that mysa article?
anything for a man who wears such great oldmanshirts....

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/...mp_Bullis.html

Quote:
It would have been better and far less costly if these leaders had followed through on the 1995 recommendations. This time, they can't afford to get it wrong.

Tomorrow: A new plan to save Camp Bullis.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
I imagine through 410-- path of least resistance.
I agree with ya that it's the path of least resistance, but I think it's wishful thinking on your part. The existing trackage they are talking about is the UP spur that runs from the near westside out to the quarry behind the rim, used only by the aggregate train that runs about 7-9 times a week here of late. I'm sure the LR could run from Fort Sam down the existing trackage into downtown, then onto the spur out to camp bullis. This seems the most feasable plan as the trackage is already there. There is no existing trackage/ROW along that stretch of 410 between 35 and West Avenue/Jackson-Keller where the spur runs under 410. Real estate along 410 is some of the most expensive in the city and TxDOT is about 3/5ths of the way complete with the 410 expansion across the entire northern arc of 410. Everything from 410 at Callaghan to the airport is completed, with the stretch to Austin Highway underway presently. I cant imagine anyone stepping to the front of the line with funding to tear any of it up again. I'm pretty pro-mass transit, but after enduring 10 years of construction on the section I frequently travel between 10 and 281, I'd be willing to chain myself to an overpass to stop it. I get Fort Sam's contribution to the SA economy. I get the importance and opportunity of a 410 lightrail line. But after TEN FING YEARS of absolutely hellish traffic due to the construction, ramps closed for miles, busted up pavement, etc, I just couldn't deal with it all over again. I don't think you could imagine the uproar a 410 construction for LR would create in this community, especially from less enlightened folx than myself. After all, this is SA, where the crusty old geezer military retiree population has nothing better to do than sit at Jim's and complain all day. These are the same people who railed against adding fluoride to our water, not in 1955 but in 2001. They'd complain about the security costs to taxpayers if Bill Gates showed up in Alamo Plaza and started giving away $100 bills.

I will say this tho. I love Hardberger more and more each day. That man is a visionary. Too bad the same crusty geezers fooled people into enacting term limits 20 years ago. We could use another 4 years of his leadership.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 1:43 PM

lol, I love the part about crusty old geezers because its so true.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 2:25 PM
Closed account

So what you're saying is that if we eliminate the crusty geezers we can get a 410 LR line?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 3:00 PM
Bears of antiquity

Well, I was going on the basis of the previous description which stated "South Town *to* Fort Sam"

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 3:19 AM
James

There is always Hildebrand, that stretches straight across from Ft. Sam to 10, that would be a totally feasible corridor, plus it crosses a major railway.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 3:32 AM
Closed account

Hildebrand dead ends into the country club though.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 4:41 AM

Yeah, strange description, saying from Southtown to FSH then across the city to the line east of Clark.

Here is what the line might look like:

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 1:26 PM

^^^That looks good. I wonder what the prospects for southern expansion would be (i.e., PSA and BC-B)

EDIT: looks like there's a line that branches off around Lone Star Blvd and runs roughly parallel to S Presa to SE Military and Brooks. It looks like it also gets close enough to potentially serve TAMU-SA.

Last edited by oldmanshirt; Aug 7, 2008 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 3:19 PM
Bears of antiquity

I fixed my google map, you guys

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio