HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I think it’s completely empty... they just bought the sign LOL
How embarrassing

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 5:06 PM

Does anyone know if River Quarry has been leased? Also, is the work done on the building? I live out of town so I haven't seen/heard anything about it for some time now.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 5:33 PM

To the best of my knowledge River Quarry is done but not leased. I'd certainly be interested to see if anyone has heard something to the contrary,

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
To the best of my knowledge River Quarry is done but not leased. I'd certainly be interested to see if anyone has heard something to the contrary,
I’ve heard Vendasta is looking for 60,000 sqf of space - river quarry is 64,000 with the parking lot expansion opportunity to expand in the future we’ll above that. Unfortunately Vendasta’s business model is to run very low cost, so I fear they’ll end up somewhere outside of downtown where psf rates are cheaper... let’s hope not though!! That would be a huge detriment to our downtown if they leave.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 2:50 AM

Quote:
I’ve heard Vendasta is looking for 60,000 sqf of space - river quarry is 64,000 with the parking lot expansion opportunity to expand in the future we’ll above that. Unfortunately Vendasta’s business model is to run very low cost, so I fear they’ll end up somewhere outside of downtown where psf rates are cheaper... let’s hope not though!! That would be a huge detriment to our downtown if they leave.
I've been told Vendasta was looking at space outside of downtown about a year ago in hopes of adding amenities like a daycare, an industrial kitchen, etc. I'd assume the comment about running low cost is about a part of their business that acts as an outsourced marketing agency. Outside of that it's less budget conscious. More recently I've been told they are looking at a downtown location that has been previously mentioned here (not the River Quarry)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastinado View Post
I've been told Vendasta was looking at space outside of downtown about a year ago in hopes of adding amenities like a daycare, an industrial kitchen, etc. I'd assume the comment about running low cost is about a part of their business that acts as an outsourced marketing agency. Outside of that it's less budget conscious. More recently I've been told they are looking at a downtown location that has been previously mentioned here (not the River Quarry)
Can’t spill the beans where that location is?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 9:12 PM

Saskatoon's weir has outlived its usefulness and should be removed

Hydropower proposal proved inefficient

by Paul Van Pul · for CBC SK Opinion · Posted: Aug 25, 2019 5:00 AM CT | Last Updated: August 25

The Saskatoon weir — in technical terms an "overflow dam" — was built in 1939 as a make-work project despite the fact that the Great Depression was pretty much over.

That makes this concrete wall 80 years old — and that age is showing.

When the dam was built, it was outside the built-up area of Saskatoon.

These days the weir has no particular use anymore, aside from being a silt trap. The day is coming that it is better just to tear it down.

[........]

Read more:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...oved-1.5257733

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 3:05 PM

The weir is the reason that we have a beautiful river of usable depth flowing through downtown Saskatoon. Without the weir, the water level in the portion of the river upstream of the weir would be significantly lower and there would be a multitude of exposed sandbars, same as there are both downstream and further upstream. Rather than increase use of the river, it would dramatically reduce the use, as canoers, kayakers and rowers would need to navigate around often changing sandbars. The use of a tour boat like the Prairie Lily would require extensive modifications to the river channel.

Not to mention the fact that the weir does provide an element of flood control to the section of the river immediately downstream from it. A portion of Spadina Crescent North was closed near Ravine drive during the high water level of 2013. That roadway would have likely been completely washed out without the weir.

Sorry for the non-construction rant. I just think the article posted above was not fully thought out.

Simply because it may not be feasible for generating hydro power doesn't mean that the weir is of no value to Saskatoon.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:41 PM

The exterior of River Quarry is basically done but there is still construction going on inside. I work downtown near it and can see that there are still a lot of workers on site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 10:00 PM
Registered Geek

Does anyone know what is happening beside the Safeway in University Heights? Also, when is the ground-breaking on the Olive Garden? It is my understanding that it was to be ready for a December opening. Regina's is apparently making great progress while ours sits? Do we also know what's being built in the parking lot beside Brown's Social House in Lawson Heights?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 10:59 PM
danylo66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
Does anyone know what is happening beside the Safeway in University Heights? Also, when is the ground-breaking on the Olive Garden? It is my understanding that it was to be ready for a December opening. Regina's is apparently making great progress while ours sits? Do we also know what's being built in the parking lot beside Brown's Social House in Lawson Heights?

I understand that the construction next to the Brown's at Lawson Heights Mall is for the new Sobey's Liquor Store that is replacing the SLGA store.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 12:11 AM

Moved post to "Saskatoon Restaurants, Pubs & Retail" thread.

Last edited by Brutopian; Aug 28, 2019 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Moved this post to "Saskatoon Restaurants, Pubs & Retail" thread

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 8:52 PM

Safeway University Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
I heard it is a liquor store. If that is the case I sure hope the Saskliquor store across the street does not close. Unless something is at a good sale price I have yet to find one item cheaper at the private liquor stores. I have even found instances of "sale prices" that just end up matching Saskliquor's regular price.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 9:35 PM

Sobeys seems to making a big push into liquor. The have stores now at Southland and Victoria Square (U/C) Safeways in Regina, in addition to their Pasqua N. store. They have store in the works for Lawson and University Heights Safeways in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastinado View Post
From a Q&A with Vendasta's CEO in today's SP:

Quote:
Still hiring?

Yes. The company plans to add about 350 people over the next three years, to bring its total employees to 650.

Currently, just under half (120) of its 300-strong staff is involved in research and development, although the new hires (40 per cent or 140 people) will largely be in sales and marketing.

The company already takes up four floors of the Avenue Building, so in order to fit an increased staff it’s finalizing a deal to move to a new location in Saskatoon.

“We really hope to stay downtown and we think we’ve got that worked out,” King said.
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...o-brendan-king

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:27 PM

River Quarry still seems like a logical or good fit for the company, but perhaps they have their eye on some of the unleased space at River Landing.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:41 PM

There's also Saskatoon Square, or the Tees & Persse/ Egadz project. Granted I don't have a sense of what their square footage needs are.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 5:07 PM

I would think given the reported HVAC issues with Saskatoon Square, that unless they commit to some major renovations, they may struggle to find new tenants with the 'new' class A office space that is coming on stream.

The Tees & Persse development may be a great one for a tech company...kind of fits the model for a trendy tech based business.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 6:03 PM

I guess it depends on how soon they need the available space, as the aforementioned project won't be ready for sometime. Whereas, River Quarry is good to go tomorrow.

On another note, I'm coming into Saskatoon for the weekend and can't wait to drive around town to see the progress on some of these developments!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 6:15 PM

Yeah im curious what they will announce too. I suspect it wont be River Quarry because there is not possibility of expansion. sure there are the tower plans but is anyone gonna build a tower because you need to fill 2 floors. I suspect (completely shooting in the dark) they would take 60k to 70k sqft and might yet still want to expand

My top three guesses are
1. River Landing
2. Scotia Center after Nutrien moves out and a bit of updating
3. Unlikely WTC

They are hiring over 3 years and would give them time to build. As fast growing sucessful, self described "anchor" I doubt they will go into anything less then class A or perhaps a really nice class B space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan