HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:29 PM
BANNED

I still wonder if the Richardson's are going to join the fray and update their building...the Fairmont definitely needs a makeover, too.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:39 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I still wonder if the Richardson's are going to join the fray and update their building...the Fairmont definitely needs a makeover, too.
I think the Richardson Building has stood up pretty well. It might not be an absolute stunner but it really gives off a strong appearance. I wouldn't want any drastic changes. I could see some lighting effects and maybe a better rooftop antenna structure but for me that would be it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I think the Richardson Building has stood up pretty well. It might not be an absolute stunner but it really gives off a strong appearance. I wouldn't want any drastic changes. I could see some lighting effects and maybe a better rooftop antenna structure but for me that would be it.
Agreed, Richardson is a classic. It does not need any work done other than minor nip and tuck cleaning up-type stuff.

The best way to make the Richardson look good is to stay as true as possible to the original 1960s vision for the building and its surroundings. Even the plaza out front is getting to the breaking point for clutter.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:47 PM
BANNED

I have mixed feelings: It is somewhat handsome, but it may look dull when compared to 201 Portage and 360 Main.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Agreed, Richardson is a classic. It does not need any work done other than minor nip and tuck cleaning up-type stuff.

The best way to make the Richardson look good is to stay as true as possible to the original 1960s vision for the building and its surroundings. Even the plaza out front is getting to the breaking point for clutter.
Agreed - classic, but light it up from top to bottom to show off that class.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:42 PM

Lots of what ifs in my head re: the new residential at 300 Main.

Wondering if the skywalk that crosses Graham now will feed directly into a second level of Winnipeg Square so-to-speak as the podium of the apartment.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Lots of what ifs in my head re: the new residential at 300 Main.

Wondering if the skywalk that crosses Graham now will feed directly into a second level of Winnipeg Square so-to-speak as the podium of the apartment.
I would hope they upgrade that connection. The current single file for both up and down the 2 storeys is a bit awkward. But I think it will remain in a similar configuration. As they'd still need to direct people to the underground.

Like I was saying before, we'll see what this development has to offer quite soon. Maybe they'll make a small retail space at the second floor skywalk connection. With a new, wider, escalator and staircase to the underground.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:08 PM

A coloured representation of the old proposal we've seen many times already

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:10 PM

^ Love the lens flare effect on that hand-drawn rendering!

What's notable about the rendering though, is that the original iteration of WSII was clearly intended to have a massive footprint... like literally a block wide from Fort to Garry; practically like two 360 Mains side by side. It clearly would have been one of the largest office buildings in Canada by floorspace. A bit like Manitoba Hydro Place in the sense that it would have been enormous without being particularly tall.

It's certain that the new WSII to be unveiled this week will have a far, far smaller footprint. This leaves the potential for a lot of wasted space on top of the Winnipeg Square underground concourse. It'll be interesting to see how they're going to address that... it would be unfortunate if we ended up with a slim tower right at, say, Graham and Fort and just a permanent vacant void at Graham and Main.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:13 PM

Richardson demolition - Trizec corner in background

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:22 PM

Exciting times eh? TNS announcement coupled with Phase II here and SkyCity nearing it's goals to proceed?

Much scrape, Much Tall...I can only imagine the posters here when the announcement and some detail come in on this one..

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Exciting times eh? TNS announcement coupled with Phase II here and SkyCity nearing it's goals to proceed?

Much scrape, Much Tall...I can only imagine the posters here when the announcement and some detail come in on this one..
This would have been nearly unthinkable 10 years ago... keep 'em coming!!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
This would have been nearly unthinkable 10 years ago... keep 'em coming!!
It's almost like TNS - check, next. WSII, check, next. Very exciting!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:53 PM

Can we consider this one to be U/C?

It's been above grade for ohhhh 40 years now! haha Or shall we wait until the first screw comes out of the cladding to call it U/C..

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Can we consider this one to be U/C?

It's been above grade for ohhhh 40 years now! haha Or shall we wait until the first screw comes out of the cladding to call it U/C..
I think it's U/C [On Hold] if you want to get technical

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
It's almost like TNS - check, next. WSII, check, next. Very exciting!
This would be a perfect time for Richardson to pour gas on the fire by formally announcing their project.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:12 PM
What could go wrong?

My bet for how Artis will address the remaining podium is to locate the apartment tower on the far south side of the site and have a raised park like amenity level only accessible to the apartment owners with skylight features for Winnipeg Square below.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
My bet for how Artis will address the remaining podium is to locate the apartment tower on the far south side of the site and have a raised park like amenity level only accessible to the apartment owners with skylight features for Winnipeg Square below.
Sounds about right. They should be doing something with it, not just leaving it as an ugly roof area.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:32 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
This would be a perfect time for Richardson to pour gas on the fire by formally announcing their project.
They're a partial investor in TNS, so I don't know if they can afford more than one project at once.

Besides, 201 Portage is not at full occupancy. Fill 201 first and possibly 225 Hargrave St., then we can consider adding more Class A office space.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
They're a partial investor in TNS, so I don't know if they can afford more than one project at once.

Besides, 201 Portage is not at full occupancy. Fill 201 first and possibly 225 Hargrave St., then we can consider adding more Class A office space.
I see your point, but for what it's worth the Richardson project was described as a custom-designed research/lab-focused facility, so not quite something you'd plop into a multitenant office tower.

I'm a bit surprised that this project was floated as a downtown build to begin with, it sounds like the sort of thing that would end up in the U of M Smartpark... although I'm certainly glad that it's going downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan