HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 1:07 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Paul, let's not go that way. And also, if you do ever see anyone, and I don't care where they call home, let me know if they're talking smack about San Antonio. Not just in the Texas section of the forum, but anywhere on the forum. And on the issue of Maxus' avatar, it isn't a wrong way of measuring a city's girth/size. In fact, it's rather correct, and he is far from bashing San Antonio with that. Those numbers of course are the metro numbers, rather than the city limits numbers. And actually, he's using an updated number, even Wikipedia lists it as 29th largest (old number).

Also, I fail to see any Austin forumers (Austinites - that is the correct term) bashing San Antonio. Again, if there are any let me know. I also don't see how there is even a thought that people in Austin have any hatred towards San Antonio. Are you kidding me? You guys are our playground as far as fun goes for certain things. Friends come in from out of state and we take them to San Antonio. My mom's comment a while back after seeing 2nd Street in downtown Austin really for the first time since they've started to redevelop it, her comment was "This is nice, if they started to make downtown more like San Antonio's, I'd like it." Of course she was talking about all the shops and pedestrian friendly atmosphere there.

Maybe I'll change my avatar around the first of the year or so and use my birth certificate.
Thank you Kevin,

There are concerns that are mentioned about Paul from SA, TX in which users are condemned by this Paul... for their statements posted on this site. This is an open forum and would like to keep opinions open for all. Not to be bashed by the likes of those who simply don't like what they hear.

Thanks again Kevin for keeping the air clear.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 1:23 AM

I really do not care where you are from. San Antonio is the 7th largest city and the 27th largest metro area. If you do not like the facts you should get a job with the Department of Commerce Census Bureau and change them.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 1:27 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
I really do not care where you are from. San Antonio is the 7th largest city and the 27th largest metro area. If you do not like the facts you should get a job with the Department of Commerce Census Bureau and change them.
Ooh, tampering with government documents...bad idea. lol. Really folks, can we get back on topic please?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 1:47 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
Sirkingwilliam,

You have not mentioned any sources. Not for any on the "first page". I'm sure you don't really believe tha all those postings are going to actually be built. Those developement listings are what fuel the fire for rumor under this thread. If all are built it will take a good 25 years for it to take place and as for a being called a "hater" by the likes of Paul from SA, that is not true at all. I am a realist.
Just like every thread of this kind on Skyscraperpage.com for every city that one is posted for whether it be downtown developments of suburban developments like this thread there are going to be projects that are built and not built and of course I don't except every one of those developments to be built but I do except most to be built as a lot of them are already under construction. As for your 25 year time line, what imaginary hat did you pull that number out from? Because sorry to tell you, it is massively incorrect.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 2:12 AM

Maxus, just to rundown the list here it is in order as seen on the first page

Quarry Village - U/C

Park North Plaza - U/C

Alon Towne Center - U/C

Crossroads Mall EXP - Leasing

Bulverde Marketplace - Leasing - Have no reason to believe it will not get built as the developer has built every other retail center they've proposed

Legacy - U/C

Stone Ridge Market - U/C

Hill Country Plaza - U/C

Village at Stone Oak - U/C

Park Place - U/C

Tacara - Leasing - No reason to suspect this won't be built as developer has funding and interest is very high with this project

Cibolo Canyon PGA tour resort - U/C

The Reflection - Leasing - This one is an effy, as start date has passed but I was recently informed by REOC (the developer) that construction will begin once Plaza Las Campanas is completed

Gateway Plaza - U/C

Cibolo Town Center - Leasing - Soon to begin construction - Latest master plan released

The Rim - U/C

The Shops at The Rim - U/C

The Village at the Rim - U/C

The Landmark - No reason at all to believe this won't be constructed, however as Galo said, this is a atleast 7 year build out in phases with the first phase starting in January with the office high-rises.

La Joya - Leasing - Looks good for construction but anything can happen

The Shops at La Cantera Phase II - U/C

Rialto Village - U/C

Westover Square - Don't know enough

Potranco Market - U/C

Potranco Village - U/C

Westwood Center - Don't know enough

Alamo Ranch Marketplace - U/C

Alamo Ranch Mixed-Use Development - According to Galo, this is a go. Will be a at least five year build out in phases

Stevens Ranch Retail Center - Leasing - Too much money behind this and Stevens Ranch for it not to be built

Mission Mercado - U/C - This one does seem to have stalled however when I contacted the developer I was told it was contractual issues and everything should be worked out soon

City-Base West - Recently announced - Have no doubts this gets built as this developer as I said before builds everything they propose including City-Base Landing (which was finished in 2006 and has been very succesful) which is half a mile east of City-Base West

The Preserve at Medina River - U/C

Espada - Developer calls for an first qt of 2008 start on construction

Creekside - U/C

As for those hospitals, all are under construction

Hope that helps.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 2:16 AM

I can understand the resentment from the "27th largest city" slight but whatever, who cares let it go. You know it's not and most people viewing it know its not. Why get upset?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 2:23 AM

Maxus, if you want sources you could just drive by the site locations for those developments but if you need internet proof, I can list some sites.

www.galoproperties.com
www.reatarealestate.com
www.thomasent.com
www.rialtovllage.com
www.loopnet.com
www.quarryvillage.info

Also, there are developments I did leave off (on accident) like the McCreless Mall redevelopment. They tore down the entire mall and even the movie theater and plans are to build a lifestyle-like center anchored by an HEB Plus! and a new movie theater. I believe the only building left standing was the Bealls.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 10:33 PM

Yea I want to lock u up and throw away the key!!!! hehehe.It's just misleading and in my eyes incorrect.I guess I'm being bashed for expressing my thought as well.The pot calling the kettle black I would say.

Since San Antonio is the 27th largest city, then I guess Austin being the 16th largest city proper in the country is now bigger.

What your doing is taken a ranking for urbanized area and labeling incorrectly as if the city proper is the 27th largest city.YOU got your apples to apples and your apples to oranges mixed up.

But i'ts your avatar, right or wrong, thats the way you want it and I guess thats just the way it's going to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
Thank you Kevin,

There are concerns that are mentioned about Paul from SA, TX in which users are condemned by this Paul... for their statements posted on this site. This is an open forum and would like to keep opinions open for all. Not to be bashed by the likes of those who simply don't like what they hear.

Thanks again Kevin for keeping the air clear.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 12:15 AM

Some other developments I have yet to post are Briggs Ranch and The Orchard which are both in far west Bexar county and will have lots of retail and commercial developments. Also Cresta Bella in far northwest SA just north of The Rim.

Edit:

Although posted on the forums but not in this thread, Escala which will be between about 700,000 and 1 million square feet.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Oct 23, 2007 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:59 AM

The Orchard

Quote:
Developer still writing plot for evolving West Side story - 7/27/2007
(San Antonio: Mixed-Use)
(West San Antonio) - Dallas-based Cumberland Investments recently closed on the purchase of 565 acres of land at the northwest corner of State Highway 211 and U.S. Highway 90 on the city's West Side. Cumberland is working to create a master-planned community on the site, to be called The Orchard, according to Deborah Bauer, president of San Antonio real estate firm Drake Commercial Group LLC. As part of that master plan, Cumberland has carved out 300 acres for a power center that could include a mix of garden offices, hotel development and retail users. The Orchard is situated in "the heart of the growth pattern" for the city's West Side, Bauer says. "The site sits directly on (Hwy.) 90 and captures the traffic all the way from here to Castroville, and the going-home traffic on (Hwy.) 211," she adds.
Quote:
Of the 565 acres, 300 are planned for commercial, retail, office and other mixed-use while the rest of the land (265 acres) is planned as either single and multi-family housing and greenbelt with park or a golf course with a hotel resort and greenbelt with park.

FYI: There are some master plan designs/renderings that I could post but I will hold up in posting them as they are early stage designs and I will wait until the final official master plan is released.

Briggs Ranch

Being built directly across 211 from The Orchard is Briggs Ranch's large retail/commercial development.

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:15 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Since San Antonio is the 27th largest city, then I guess Austin being the 16th largest city proper in the country is now bigger.
Actually Paul, that 16th largest number you've listed for Austin is the city proper population, not the metro population. The metro population rank is around 35th to 37th. So of course Austin isn't larger than San Antonio. Not sure where you were going with that one.

Have a look:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...opolitan_areas

San Antonio city rank: 7th in US - San Antonio metro rank: 27th in US.
Austin city rank: 16th in US - Austin metro rank: 37th in US. (Although, the Austin numbers are from 2006). I would guess we might have moved up one or two spots just as San Antonio did.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 7:23 AM

I'm just messing with you guys.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Actually Paul, that 16th largest number you've listed for Austin is the city proper population, not the metro population. The metro population rank is around 35th to 37th. So of course Austin isn't larger than San Antonio. Not sure where you were going with that one.

Have a look:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...opolitan_areas

San Antonio city rank: 7th in US - San Antonio metro rank: 27th in US.
Austin city rank: 16th in US - Austin metro rank: 37th in US. (Although, the Austin numbers are from 2006). I would guess we might have moved up one or two spots just as San Antonio did.
Exactly Kevin you got it right.The 27th largest metro.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 11:14 AM
Meh

I wasn't sure if this had been posted yet or not.

Click on the link to read the entire article.

From the Austin Business Journal
http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin...l?surround=lfn

Quote:
UTSA primed for campus growth

The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) will begin construction next month on the school's planned $82 million engineering building.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 7:01 AM

This is that building.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 5:12 PM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Maxus, just to rundown the list here it is in order as seen on the first page

Quarry Village - U/C

Park North Plaza - U/C

Alon Towne Center - U/C

Crossroads Mall EXP - Leasing

Bulverde Marketplace - Leasing - Have no reason to believe it will not get built as the developer has built every other retail center they've proposed

Legacy - U/C

Stone Ridge Market - U/C

Hill Country Plaza - U/C

Village at Stone Oak - U/C

Park Place - U/C

Tacara - Leasing - No reason to suspect this won't be built as developer has funding and interest is very high with this project

Cibolo Canyon PGA tour resort - U/C

The Reflection - Leasing - This one is an effy, as start date has passed but I was recently informed by REOC (the developer) that construction will begin once Plaza Las Campanas is completed

Gateway Plaza - U/C

Cibolo Town Center - Leasing - Soon to begin construction - Latest master plan released

The Rim - U/C

The Shops at The Rim - U/C

The Village at the Rim - U/C

The Landmark - No reason at all to believe this won't be constructed, however as Galo said, this is a atleast 7 year build out in phases with the first phase starting in January with the office high-rises.

La Joya - Leasing - Looks good for construction but anything can happen

The Shops at La Cantera Phase II - U/C

Rialto Village - U/C

Westover Square - Don't know enough

Potranco Market - U/C

Potranco Village - U/C

Westwood Center - Don't know enough

Alamo Ranch Marketplace - U/C

Alamo Ranch Mixed-Use Development - According to Galo, this is a go. Will be a at least five year build out in phases

Stevens Ranch Retail Center - Leasing - Too much money behind this and Stevens Ranch for it not to be built

Mission Mercado - U/C - This one does seem to have stalled however when I contacted the developer I was told it was contractual issues and everything should be worked out soon

City-Base West - Recently announced - Have no doubts this gets built as this developer as I said before builds everything they propose including City-Base Landing (which was finished in 2006 and has been very succesful) which is half a mile east of City-Base West

The Preserve at Medina River - U/C

Espada - Developer calls for an first qt of 2008 start on construction

Creekside - U/C

As for those hospitals, all are under construction

Hope that helps.
Thanks sirkingwilliam. I'll check it out further. Where can I get specific info about the Crossroads Mall development?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Trae, when did you start working for VIA in their main offices? I kid of course, well not so much. You state that as if you are informed from within, which I doubt you are. From my own discussions with actual VIA board members, the plan is to eventual have lightrail transit. They way they have proposed it is first create BRT lines throughout the city and then convert them to Lightrail, something they feel would be an easier thing to do as they are still feeling the sting from the last LRT vote. BRT was then the brainchild of the former chairman at VIA (who has since stepped down and been replaced) and is now being more aggressively attacked by the new chairman.

The first line will be the Fredericksburg Road/Medical Center BRT Corridor, which will be a line from west downtown to the medical center and will be operational by 2012. This line itself will contain 16-18 large buses and about 8 transit stations not including the end-points. As I stated, the two end-points will be Cattleman's Square (west downtown) and the medical center on the northwest side. The plan is to then add new corridors/lines with an eventual switch to rail. However, that will not be for another 15-20 years from now.
If ridership is there. Charlotte has one light rail line, but has no chance at getting more because they projected a ridership number of 18,000 by 2020. Feds won't give you funding for that. I think SA would have higher numbers though because of the demographics there.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 10:55 PM

Well, why would Charlotte have to depend on the feds for funding? That seems like one dimensional thinking.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 11:00 PM

A lot of cities do. It is a lot easier to get the lines built faster and have more (or at least longer) lines if the Feds back it up.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
A lot of cities do. It is a lot easier to get the lines built faster and have more (or at least longer) lines if the Feds back it up.
That may be true, and it might not, but federal money is not the only means for light rail funding, which is why your saying Charlotte will never have other lines is preposterous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio