HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 5:47 AM
Dandy Lion

This kind of sh*t is happening all over Brooklyn. I agree that this tower is completely out of scale for the Fort Greene neighborhood, but it is becoming part of a new Brooklyn aesthetic. Frankly, by the time Atlantic Yards is completed it will inadvertently look responsive to the urban fabric, even though under current conditions it would be totally out of place.

I would be more concerned about the series of banal luxury condos going up on Myrtle Avenue in Clinton Hill and Bedstuy. I'm looking at three out of my window right now...

BTW, tackledspoon is pretty much dead on, so antinimby you should stop trying to support your obviously flawed views with stupid analogies (ie. the Eiffel Tower).

Last edited by JBoston; Mar 27, 2007 at 5:53 AM. Reason: i wanted to add something

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 6:22 AM

Quote:
I agree that this tower is completely out of scale for the Fort Greene neighborhood
Am I the only person who's walked down this stretch of Fulton and explored the area? This is NOT the Fort Greene of whatever fairytale dream some of you like to think of. We're talking BAM, and parking lots and methadone clinics and Flatbush and gas stations and lumber warehouses.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 6:46 AM
Dandy Lion

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy Wen View Post
Am I the only person who's walked down this stretch of Fulton and explored the area? This is NOT the Fort Greene of whatever fairytale dream some of you like to think of. We're talking BAM, and parking lots and methadone clinics and Flatbush and gas stations and lumber warehouses.
I live in Forte Greene. I walk through this area all the time. I know exactly where this tower is (I can see it from my living room). As one can clearly see from just the photo, the building is

OUT

OF

PLACE

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 6:47 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Holy crap, it's JBoston. Shummavull foreva!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 6:51 AM
Dandy Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Holy crap, it's JBoston. Shummavull foreva!
I'm procrastinating. Designing buildings has become so boring!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 7:04 AM

You say tomatoes, I say toast-

(or maybe a nice, english muffin)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 7:05 AM
Dandy Lion

ok...?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoston View Post
BTW, tackledspoon is pretty much dead on, so antinimby you should stop trying to support your obviously flawed views with stupid analogies (ie. the Eiffel Tower).
The issue bet. me and tackledspoon was settled, we don't need you to stir up trouble again.

Instead of calling my analogy stupid, why don't you tell us exactly what makes it stupid?

The Eiffel tower rises above the rest of Paris and breaks up the surrounding lowrise residential neighborhood. A pretty good comparison if you ask me.

Quote:
I live in Forte Greene. I walk through this area all the time. I know exactly where this tower is (I can see it from my living room). As one can clearly see from just the photo, the building is
OUT
OF
PLACE
So what if you live in the area? What may be out of place to you, won't be out of place for someone else.

Furthermore, the Williamsburg Savings Bank building, the tallest in Brooklyn and almost three hundred feet taller, is just two blocks away.

Yeah JBoston you are absolutely right, so out of place.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 8:46 PM
Dandy Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The issue bet. me and tackledspoon was settled, we don't need you to stir up trouble again.

Instead of calling my analogy stupid, why don't you tell us exactly what makes it stupid?

The Eiffel tower rises above the rest of Paris and breaks up the surrounding lowrise residential neighborhood. A pretty good comparison if you ask me.

So what if you live in the area? What may be out of place to you, won't be out of place for someone else.
The tower in Fort Greene is a banal monument to The Yuppie. The Eiffel Tower is a monument to 19th century ingenuity. Pretty great comparison... oh yeah.

Before we start comparing apples and oranges we should first know what an apple and an orange look like.

Oh and if a giant elephant in a room is not out of place for the zookeeper, it usually is for absolutely everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Furthermore, the Williamsburg Savings Bank building, the tallest in Brooklyn and almost three hundred feet taller, is just two blocks away.

Yeah JBoston you are absolutely right, so out of place.
Yes, that's two blocks away. This is Brooklyn, sometimes the difference between blocks can be astounding. Although you would know that if you lived here.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 2:45 AM

I see it more as a symbol of a burgeoning borough, with an incredible demand for people that want to live here. Well, brownstones don't cut it, and none were demolished for this project. This area is filled with junky 2-4 story buildings that beg to be developed. Imagine, maybe the buyers work downtown....downtown Brooklyn that is, and on nice days can walk to and from work! The amount of subway lines in the area screams for dense development....and I'm psyched that Flatbush Ave Ext. is getting so many towers. Hmm, parking lots and auto repair shops, or thousands of new residents and retail?

More skyscrapers would have been built near the Williamsburg Bank Building had there not been that little depression. And this tower looks pretty nice to me. Better than a lot of buildings going up in Manhattan even.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 6:19 AM

Quote:
The tower in Fort Greene is a banal monument to The Yuppie. The Eiffel Tower is a monument to 19th century ingenuity. Pretty great comparison... oh yeah.
Parisians certainly didn't feel that fondly towards the Eiffel tower when it was first proposed.

In fact, some felt it would be detrimental to Paris like you are towards this tower.

The sky didn't fall after the Eiffel went up and not only that but it has become the icon for the city. The sky won't fall either now with the Forte.

There'll be a few more towers going up nearby and soon enough, it'll be the one-stories and empty lots that will be ones that will be out-of-place.

This ain't no charming village that deserves to be preserved in amber, Fort Greene's future is to grow and modernize and to get with the times.

Quote:
Yes, that's two blocks away. This is Brooklyn, sometimes the difference between blocks can be astounding. Although you would know that if you lived here.
I'm from Brooklyn. Just admit you lost this one. Two blocks is astounding...lol.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 7:46 AM

Brooklyn

Sorry for changing the subject, but is it me or does it still seem that the Montague-Court blg.(464'?) is still the second tallest in Brooklyn? From the pics I've seen the U.S. Court bldg.(472'?) looks slightly shorter even though it is listed as taller.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 4:49 AM

^ Noticed this a while ago when I updated the is drawing for this building. I think Emporis once did, and may still do, list the Montague-Court at 390ft? I believe NYC Dept. of Buildings and "NY Inside Guide" all list it at anywhere from 439 to 464 ft. The difference in height between US Court and Montague-Court is indeed small.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 8:13 PM

Skyscraperpage diagrams

I also noticed from a lot of pics, that the difference in height between the Lincoln and Chanin bldgs. are also much greater than is listed by some sites. I e-mailed Skyscraperpage a couple of times about such discrepencies and they said that they'd look into it but also cited the Emporis sites data. I live in San Diego now and have noticed a lot of errors in this city's diagram. Makes you wonder how many errors actually exist in their database and how they verify information.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 6:45 AM
low-riding

Montaque Court looks taller because, I have no official data to back me up, but its roof is taller that the courthouse due to being a higher hill. Structurally from ground up its shorter, but rooftop height above sea level, its the tallest in downtown BK

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 6:47 AM
low-riding

28 Floors plus 2 floor rooftop mechanical

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 3:43 AM
low-riding

Done. and yet it seems empty

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 4:34 AM
Ex Houstonian

A modern day flat iron building, I love it and it was a pain in the ass having to look through all of those peoples arguments with each other accusing each other of being Nimbys. Keep that shit private.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive