HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 4:44 PM

^I saw this a while ago. The site and the developer are real, but I think this is just a design concept for discussion purposes only; it certainly hasn't been approved.

The site itself is next to a fairly isolated single family subdivision on the side of a mountain 5 kms East of Abbotsford's downtown. It's about as far from transit as you can get in Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 5:35 PM

why did some of the scenes (internal shots) in the video clip remind me so much of the end scene in Bird Box?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 1:27 AM

Still love that Calgary proposal. I guess it's partly because of the dearth of any decent public spaces in this country.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 5:21 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Zoom-in to the new Riocan Hall:

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 10:45 PM
ARTchitecture

I guess this hasn't been posted here before. It's really encouraging for a city of Red Deer's size (101 000) to have such a significant Area Redevelopment Plan in place, especially in the downtown core. The project will include a new pedestrian bridge connecting Downtown to the Bower Ponds Park on the other side of the Red Deer River, along with a retail promenade along the river. They have already put out an RFP for both the first mixed use office/commercial and the hotel/commercial developments. Bravo!

Riverlands - Red Deer

http://www.reddeer.ca/media/reddeerc...pment-plan.pdf

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 10:46 PM
Community Guy

That's is going to be great for Red Deer.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 11:08 PM
Fake News

Wow. Red Deer could use a facelift and this looks like the perfect project for it!

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 5:18 AM

With the Rendez-Vous LeBreton deal (and downtown arena) in Ottawa now officially dead, the NCC is hitting the ground running with a new process. In order to get shovels in the ground as quickly as possible, they plan on launching an RFP around November to redevelop a parcel of land between Pimisi Station and the proposed joint Ottawa Central Library and National Archives. This land was not part of the original RFP 4 years ago, but with the public institution now planned next door, it was a good opportunity to develop the entire site in one shot. Note that the library site was used as a staging area for two major public works over the last few years; the Confederation Line and the Combined Sewage Tunnel.

The NCC will be consulting the public over the next little while to see what people want to see on the main part of the flats (which was the part of the original RFP 4 years ago and the subject land of RVL's demise). A master plan will be drafted before individual parcels are sold off piece-meal over time. The NCC has not closed the door to allowing an arena at some point in time if deemed desirable and feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
http://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/projects/lebret...-redevelopment

Building LeBreton

The NCC is moving forward with the timely development of a Concept Plan that will provide a renewed vision for the redevelopment of LeBreton Flats. Benefitting from early engagement with the public, the Algonquin Nation, stakeholders, the surrounding community and the City of Ottawa, the NCC intends to seek municipal approval of the concept plan and associated zoning, before moving to land transaction. The NCC will be open to a flexible real estate strategy to increase competition and leverage opportunities. In addition, in order to create synergies and ensure greater connectivity, the NCC will be launching a Request for Proposal to redevelop the Library District, a 2.9 acre mixed-use site adjacent to the future location of the new Ottawa Public Library and Library and Archives Canada

“Today, we reaffirmed our strong commitment to bringing back a vibrant community in the heart of the National Capital Region. We thank the public for their shared passion in wanting a well-thought-out vision for the Flats. As we launch this process, the NCC Board of Directors is committed to engaging the public and our various stakeholders in setting out a renewed vision for LeBreton Flats’’, said NCC Chair, Marc Seaman.

This development, anchored by the Canadian War Museum, the Ottawa River, the future public library and two LRT stations will include the revitalization of the aqueduct and Nepean inlet and allow for consideration of a potential anchor institution or major events centre.

This renewal process will build on lessons learned in realizing the creation of a lively fusion of residential, commercial, cultural, and social elements accented by world-class public-realm amenities. The NCC is committed to obtaining public input before going to market and will be open to flexible phasing to respond to market conditions and new ideas.

“A lot of work is already under way and soon we will invite the public to provide their input to help us design a refreshed vision for LeBreton Flats,” said NCC CEO Tobi Nussbaum. “The redevelopment of LeBreton Flats remains one of the NCC’s top priorities. While we are starting a new process today, we are not starting from scratch.”

The way forward-Timeline

Quick Facts
• The site to be developed covers an area of 22.7 hectares (56 acres).
• It is served by the light rail train with the Bayview Station and Pimisi Station.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 9:42 PM
Community Guy

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/...id=L6AdjuGsR1U

Proposed rezoning in Oliver for two mixed-use towers

March 8, 2019

Edmontonians are invited to a drop-in engagement session to learn more about a proposed rezoning for the development of two (170 metre and 140 metre) mixed-use towers on the Edmonton Motors Site at the southeast corner of Jasper Avenue and 115 Street.

Date: Thursday, March 14
Time: 6 – 8 p.m.

The proposed rezoning is from (DC1) Direct Development Control Provision and (RA9) High Rise Apartment Zone to a (DC2) Site Specific Development Control Provision to allow for two separate residential towers on commercial and residential base structures.
To facilitate this rezoning, an application has also been made to amend the Oliver Area Redevelopment Plan.

Feedback will be summarized in a report to City Council for a future Public Hearing decision.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 10:16 PM
ARTchitecture

The podiums there are great! Looks like it'll have an interior pedestrian retail street between the two as well. Definitely a win at the street level experience, but I'll reserve judgement on the towers til I see a daytime render of them.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 2:07 PM

A pair of nice looking towers, and a total sea change for an intersection that has up to now had a bit of a barren feel.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 2:29 PM

That Red Deer project is extremely ambitious. It looks like it would effectively double the size of downtown. Can they pull it off?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 6:18 PM
The New Republic

Alberta isn't growing at the pace of 5 years ago but it's still doing very well. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Calgary and Edmonton rival Vancouver by most measures in a generation or two. Better to have 3 big metros in the West instead of just 1.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 1:36 AM
Community Guy

MacKenzie Tower - Alt + Hotel - Edmonton

https://twitter.com/skyrisecities/st...34468099555329
@skyrisecities

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 1:43 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Not bad, although that podium really doesn't work so well with the street wall.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 2:39 AM

I really like that Edmonton proposal. It has that easily recognisable Lemay signture.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:19 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Disagree. I love how this will compliment it in a modern way.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:25 AM
Fake News

I like that Edmonton proposal. Nice and clean and doesn’t try too hard.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:47 AM
Ham-Bur-gher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
It complements the tower very well though. Not sure trying to match the buildings beside it would have worked out as nice.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:32 AM

whats the small empty lot next to it for?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada