HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Immature and a stupid dresser.

I'd rather an immature stupid dresser to an washed up bad dresser.

Good thing dressing stupid has zero effect of how one plays on the ice.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 4:26 PM

You cant even see what hes wearing. Im sure its not as bad as douche-tin mathews

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Dubas said he found about the incident over Twitter. A lot of players have done worse than this, but I can imagine the organization would be livid about not being told before hand so it could be released on their terms.

Now management is in a tough spot because they've publicly said their announcing a captain this season, and not doing so would imply that they intended to give it to Matthews but have lost trust in their future face of the franchise (not a good look). On the other hand giving it to Matthews now would also likely stir up more shit. I think they either wait until some arbitrary special game mid-season if people have forgotten about it, or they give it Tavares/Reilly and act like that was the plan all along.
Matthews doesn’t even wear an A, and his play last year was hardly inspiring. This incident aside, I doubt he was the choice. Probably Tavares or Reilly.

I honestly don’t see how anyone thought Matthews would be captain. He’s got all the charm and personality of Phil Kessel (except Kessel was somehow more likeable), has no intensity to his game, and is arguably not even the top player on the team.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 5:55 PM

Ahh yes, John Tavares, Mr. Personality...

There were gripes about Matthews here last year, some warranted, some brought on because people think he's overpaid. It doesn't change the fact that he's arguably the best even-strength goal scorer in the league. While I don't think it should form the basis of the captaincy decision, if it does help keep the guy around long-term, there is merit in considering it. Players aren't robots, and emotions are involved in the game. Giving someone that responsibility can heighten their motivation and elevate their game if they use it properly.

I've always agreed it should be Reilly though. He's been nothing but professional for his entire career. He has that captain-speak down pat in his interviews and is usually the one that is trotted out in front of the cameras to give a level-headed response after a bad game. Let the kids focus on doing what they best.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 6:37 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
Florida also has different income tax laws, might have something to do with the good value contracts

Also, cities like Edmonton and Calgary probably have to overpay to convince talent to come/stay there
Absolutely true. Point will take home more money from his contract than Tkachuk even though it is for a lower amount. Florida teams, Texas teams etc. are at an advantage over Canadian teams. Better climate, lower taxes, lower cost of living.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
You cant even see what hes wearing. Im sure its not as bad as douche-tin mathews

I can see enough to know it's not good. And calling Mathews a douche just from his clothes and a drunken night out with his friends is a bit douchey of you. Were you the most responsible and best dresser at 22? Anyway, good luck with your captain this year, I'll take our soon to be captain over yours any day.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:34 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Absolutely true. Point will take home more money from his contract than Tkachuk even though it is for a lower amount. Florida teams, Texas teams etc. are at an advantage over Canadian teams. Better climate, lower taxes, lower cost of living.
Given the exchange rate, this is probably a push.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:59 PM

The taxes get brought up every time but it's never as big a difference as people think. It isn't negligible, but athletes don't get taxed the way a regular job does. They are subject to the tax jurisdiction of each location they play a game in. A player on Tampa only has just over half their games (home games plus their ~4 games against the Panthers) with no Florida state tax. With players getting the majority of their income through signing bonuses now, it makes it even murkier.

DoubleK may be right that the current exchange rate actually ends up increasing the purchasing power of a Canadian player. Tkachuk is paid the equivalent of $9,310,000 CAD. I would be surprised if his tax bill and cost-of-living-adjustment are 33% higher in Calgary.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I can see enough to know it's not good. And calling Mathews a douche just from his clothes and a drunken night out with his friends is a bit douchey of you. Were you the most responsible and best dresser at 22? Anyway, good luck with your captain this year, I'll take our soon to be captain over yours any day.
I could handle alcohol better thats for sure. And as for Weber, he's among the most respected players in the league so not sure why you keep attacking him.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 9:55 PM

Latest details from the Matthews saga... It seems this whole thing would have not blown up the way it has, except that Auston Matthews father denied that the whole thing happened. This angered the security guard to the point that she decided to press charges.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 4:15 PM
is watching.

Quote:
The taxes get brought up every time but it's never as big a difference as people think. It isn't negligible, but athletes don't get taxed the way a regular job does. They are subject to the tax jurisdiction of each location they play a game in. A player on Tampa only has just over half their games (home games plus their ~4 games against the Panthers) with no Florida state tax. With players getting the majority of their income through signing bonuses now, it makes it even murkier.

DoubleK may be right that the current exchange rate actually ends up increasing the purchasing power of a Canadian player. Tkachuk is paid the equivalent of $9,310,000 CAD. I would be surprised if his tax bill and cost-of-living-adjustment are 33% higher in Calgary.
This explains how much NHL players take home after taxes, escrow and agent fees. Escrow and agent fees can take up to 15%!

There is a link at the top of the article for part 1.

https://hockey-graphs.com/2019/01/08...-part-2-taxes/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 6:14 PM

Laine ends up signing the shortest bridge deal of them all.

I think this deal works for both sides. Laine has a chance to prove he can be a consistent top goal scorer over the next two years. If he does and puts up 45+ goals, the Jets have contracts like Byfuglien and Perrault expiring and can afford to pay him the 11-12 mil he may command. If he doesn't and disappears for extended periods again, the team has avoided an albatross contract.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Ahh yes, John Tavares, Mr. Personality...

There were gripes about Matthews here last year, some warranted, some brought on because people think he's overpaid. It doesn't change the fact that he's arguably the best even-strength goal scorer in the league. While I don't think it should form the basis of the captaincy decision, if it does help keep the guy around long-term, there is merit in considering it. Players aren't robots, and emotions are involved in the game. Giving someone that responsibility can heighten their motivation and elevate their game if they use it properly.

I've always agreed it should be Reilly though. He's been nothing but professional for his entire career. He has that captain-speak down pat in his interviews and is usually the one that is trotted out in front of the cameras to give a level-headed response after a bad game. Let the kids focus on doing what they best.
I’m not saying Tavares would do well as a late night show guest. Just that he has the personality of a leader. Matthews doesn’t.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 6:03 AM
BANNED

Jets now have both their superstars locked up.
Laine and Conner.
Laine to a two year bridge deal.
Conner to a 7 year deal.
Both 30 plus goal

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 1:37 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
I’m not saying Tavares would do well as a late night show guest. Just that he has the personality of a leader. Matthews doesn’t.
Exactly.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 6:26 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Jets now have both their superstars locked up.
Laine and Conner.
Laine to a two year bridge deal.
Conner to a 7 year deal.
Both 30 plus goal
And room for Buff if he returns to the team.

That's some pretty tidy GM'ing, I wouldn't want to play poker with Chevy.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
And room for Buff if he returns to the team.

That's some pretty tidy GM'ing, I wouldn't want to play poker with Chevy.
I don't know if you can give all the credit to the GM. He waited it out, but both players weren't going anywhere anyways. 50 mil over 7 years for Conner is decent but not a bargain. Points contract was a bargain.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melroy View Post
I don't know if you can give all the credit to the GM. He waited it out, but both players weren't going anywhere anyways. 50 mil over 7 years for Conner is decent but not a bargain. Points contract was a bargain.
Well of course he doesn't get all the credit, but he does get some for not overpaying for these two unlike a few GMs around the league. Connor is right around the amount I expected him to sign for, same with Laine. It took some grinding on Chevy's part to negotiate these deals otherwise it wouldn't have taken this long to reach an agreement otherwise.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:26 PM
Community Guy

Night #1 of our cup run.

GO OILERS GO

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:45 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Night #1 of our cup run.

GO OILERS GO
LOL.

How long until you are paying the backup $4M???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada