HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 6:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Mark my words, if the $500+ million facility is built in Regina it will be a white elephant.
Mark your words? your kidding right?

A white elephant compared to what? The Skydome? You mean that facility that has brought in Billions and billions of dollars to the city of Toronto, yet all the anti-stadium people can bring up is that it was sold for alot less than it was built without looking at the big picture.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 6:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
ah yes...the old P3 scam...get your kids to pay for something you want today.
So I guess you are against public funding of any type of facility then (ie parks, museums, libraries, etc) as the same rationale you are using pertains to that as well.
Quote:
how many uses that are not the football team will require 33 000 seats?....you could build an $80m convention facility that will take care of 90% of the supposed uses of this stadium....if it looks like a football stadium and smells like a football stadium...its probably a football stadium...nobody is fooled by the 'multi-purpose' label.
Fascinating how you say nobody is fooled when you are the one who is doing the spinning. Yes it will be a multi-purpose facility, just like the MTS Centre (according to your argument that is a hockey rink and nothing more lol) or any other facility that hosts various events. That said. will football be a major event that takes place at our new venue, you betcha it will be one of many uses (and good on that since football is basically a religion in this province). In addition to that the facility will be able to be configured to host not only stadium concerts, but also large arena concerts as well. Add to that CIS events, international amateur athletics competitions, mixed martial arts events, pro wrasslin, figure skating competitions, motorsports, lacrosse, international soccer, international ice hockey events, childrens shows, cultural festivals, etc etc. BCPlace in Vancouver averages over 175 event days per year, just image how many more events that place would have if the Canucks arena wasn't next door (which would be our position). OH yeah wait they are spending $400 million of public money just to refurbish that place, bunch of imbeciles.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 6:30 AM
BANNED

Oh and to let those who think an announcement is a ways away, I am privy to the knowledge that our proposal to the P3 fund is MUCH further along than most think.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 7:30 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Where will the $500 million come from? No one seems to know the answer.

Even with significant federal contribution, is Regina really in a position to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on anything new?

In my opinion, I'd much rather see the extra $200 million dollars spent on two new class A towers downtown. The Mosaic tower only costs $100 million.

We could have 2 new 20 storey+ office towers, a new 12,000 person hockey rink/ concert hall and a 35,000 person outdoor football stadium for the same cost as one 35,000 person indoor football stadium.
Since when do governments actually build office towers (unless they are for crown corporations)? That is one thing that the parties that need the space need to work out for themselves with developers. An office tower is very different from a sporting complex. And government intervention there could overload the market, forcing rental prices to drop, thereby causing economic difficulties for the current owners of downtown Regina buildings.

And again... why do we need a 12,000 person arena? It doesn't significantly change what we have already (Brandt Centre), which I already mentioned has and is still undergoing renovation (along with the rest of the complex in that area... and all of those buildings are required for Agribition when it is in town). How much do you think a 12,000 person arena would cost in Regina now anyway? Moose Jaw's multiplex is costing them over 60 million now... Granted it includes a few other things, but the arena on its own will only be seating 4,500.

Plus, what other uses will you find in an outdoor 35,000 seat stadium? It's not all that different from what we already have, which with the temp seating is a 30,000 person stadium... it would just be a newer version. For that kind of money, I would rather spend more money, make it more of a feature project for the city/province and do something worthwhile that will last.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 1:21 PM

The feds, province and city each contributed 20 mil to the Evraz place multi purpose rinks and I don't remember anyone complaining about public money going towards that project but seems like because the Riders are involved and the project includes substantial seating that Regina doesn't have then it's a no-no. I think people are frightened that their CFL teams are going to have to play in a scenario of 33,000 + fans with a possible option of roof open or roof closed. They say Mosaic stadium is the toughest place to win now, just wait.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 2:11 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
SBCPlace in Vancouver averages over 175 event days per year, just image how many more events that place would have if the Canucks arena wasn't next door (which would be our position). OH yeah wait they are spending $400 million of public money just to refurbish that place, bunch of imbeciles.
I think it is bit far-fetched to assume that since a large indoor stadium in a city with a metro of more than 2 million people averages 175 events a year, that this data can be extrapolated to a city with a metro area approximately 10 times smaller.

Not withstanding the fact that any event to be hosted in Saskatchewan, big or small will be pursued by both Regina AND Saskatoon. Vancouver has no such competition in BC. If an event is going to that province, it's gonna be in BC. I don't know if you can make that argument for Regina.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Oh and to let those who think an announcement is a ways away, I am privy to the knowledge that our proposal to the P3 fund is MUCH further along than most think.
I am wary of that claim for the simple fact that we were "guaranteed" an announcement by the end of June. Three months later, and still no announcement...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I think it is bit far-fetched to assume that since a large indoor stadium in a city with a metro of more than 2 million people averages 175 events a year, that this data can be extrapolated to a city with a metro area approximately 10 times smaller.

Not withstanding the fact that any event to be hosted in Saskatchewan, big or small will be pursued by both Regina AND Saskatoon. Vancouver has no such competition in BC. If an event is going to that province, it's gonna be in BC. I don't know if you can make that argument for Regina.

The director of Credit Union Centre has already voiced his concern over a multi-purpose stadium being built in Regina. He can see the writing on the wall if this thing goes ahead. Basically, he knows Saskatoon would be hard pressed to get anything if Credit Union Center had to compete with a new facility in Regina of that magnitude. There would be no competition.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Yes it will be a multi-purpose facility, just like the MTS Centre (according to your argument that is a hockey rink and nothing more lol) or any other facility that hosts various events. That said. will football be a major event that takes place at our new venue, you betcha it will be one of many uses (and good on that since football is basically a religion in this province). In addition to that the facility will be able to be configured to host not only stadium concerts, but also large arena concerts as well. Add to that CIS events, international amateur athletics competitions, mixed martial arts events, pro wrasslin, figure skating competitions, motorsports, lacrosse, international soccer, international ice hockey events, childrens shows, cultural festivals, etc etc. BCPlace in Vancouver averages over 175 event days per year, just image how many more events that place would have if the Canucks arena wasn't next door (which would be our position). OH yeah wait they are spending $400 million of public money just to refurbish that place, bunch of imbeciles.
Making the comparison to the MTS centre is somewhat ridiculous. There are 5 times more hockey games than football games a season; concerts (unless U2 and Jay Z are coming to Regina) are played in arenas (accoustics/maximizing ticket sales, etc); the MTS centre was built for 1/3 of the cost of your proposal (with at least TEN TIMES less federal funding).

In terms of 175 events a year, that sounds great! I don't doubt that it's possible. But here's the distinction that needs to be made:

How many of those events NEED to be held in a 33,000 seat indoor stadium?

An don't give me that Fargodome example. I've been to Fargo more times than I can count, and it is essentially their only venue. I've been to the FargoDome some of the "200 plus" events a year I keep hearing about. However, for example, when I was there for a basketball tournament (which was 3 days long, so 3 out of those 200 days), it quickly because clear that in any other city, the tournament could of been held at high school with 2 gyms, or any other facility with more than 1 court. How many of the events you mentioned above need an indoor stadium with 33,000 seats? How many can be held at the brant centre/convention centre? How many of these events will the "multi-purpose" building be stealing away from these other venues? Questions that should be answered...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 4:13 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
The director of Credit Union Centre has already voiced his concern over a multi-purpose stadium being built in Regina. He can see the writing on the wall if this thing goes ahead. Basically, he knows Saskatoon would be hard pressed to get anything if Credit Union Center had to compete with a new facility in Regina of that magnitude. There would be no competition.
So what you are saying is the Province of Sask. is willing to fund a facility that will essentially funnel all major trade shows, events, concerts, etc. from Saskatoon to Regina for the foreseeable future?

How do the people of Saskatoon feel about this? I find it hard to believe the government would want to get involved in this project if this was the case. It doesn't seem like great politics, especially since there are more votes in Saskatoon versus Regina.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 4:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:

What are you talking about, Victoria has a 10,000 seat arena and Vancouver has another 17,000 seat arena in the PNE Coliseum in addition to the ones I stated? How many large indoor facilities like the one proposed are there between Vancouver and Toronto?

Last edited by Migs; Sep 23, 2010 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 4:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I am wary of that claim for the simple fact that we were "guaranteed" an announcement by the end of June. Three months later, and still no announcement...
There wasn't a guaranteed announcement in June, Cheveldayoff stated several times that there was to be an update in June on the capital accumulation phase. Also he as well as the Premier have stated several times that 4 of the 5 players are firmly commited (city, province, private sector, Riders) and they are simply waiting on the feds. Alot is happening behind the scenes and yes I heard from one of the horses' mouths that our P3 proposal is much farther along than people think, when its all said and done the Conservative MPs are going to be thanked.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 4:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
The feds, province and city each contributed 20 mil to the Evraz place multi purpose rinks and I don't remember anyone complaining about public money going towards that project but seems like because the Riders are involved and the project includes substantial seating that Regina doesn't have then it's a no-no. I think people are frightened that their CFL teams are going to have to play in a scenario of 33,000 + fans with a possible option of roof open or roof closed. They say Mosaic stadium is the toughest place to win now, just wait.
And you see that is one of the thing that pisses me off. People state Pro sports teams as though its Billion dollar owners and Million dollar players when that is the furthest thing from the truth in regards to the CFL. In our league players make on average 5 figures and what said league does to reciprocate to our national culture and way of life is 1000fold.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Making the comparison to the MTS centre is somewhat ridiculous. There are 5 times more hockey games than football games a season; concerts (unless U2 and Jay Z are coming to Regina) are played in arenas (accoustics/maximizing ticket sales, etc); the MTS centre was built for 1/3 of the cost of your proposal (with at least TEN TIMES less federal funding).
What does the fact that there are more hockey games than football games have to do with the rationale you guys are using in regards to it being a multipurpose facility? And that isn't really the case if you add the Rams games, some Huskies games, and Thunder games to the already 11-12 game Roughriders scedule
Quote:
In terms of 175 events a year, that sounds great! I don't doubt that it's possible. But here's the distinction that needs to be made:

How many of those events NEED to be held in a 33,000 seat indoor stadium?

An don't give me that Fargodome example. I've been to Fargo more times than I can count, and it is essentially their only venue. I've been to the FargoDome some of the "200 plus" events a year I keep hearing about. However, for example, when I was there for a basketball tournament (which was 3 days long, so 3 out of those 200 days), it quickly because clear that in any other city, the tournament could of been held at high school with 2 gyms, or any other facility with more than 1 court. How many of the events you mentioned above need an indoor stadium with 33,000 seats? How many can be held at the brant centre/convention centre? How many of these events will the "multi-purpose" building be stealing away from these other venues? Questions that should be answered...
Tell me why Evraz Place is now in full support of this new facility?

http://www.leaderpost.com/Progress+c...159/story.html

And why do you think the majority of events being held in that facility have to require 30,000 attendee's? If you don't want to use the Fargodome, then use BC place or the Skydome as an example (there are thousands of seats in those venues that are sat in maybe 1-2 times a year), but they do have them when they need them. And people also have to remember that this whole proposal is more than just the stadium, its an entire revitilization of a 35acre portion of land right in the middle of the city. It will connect the warehouse district and the downtown that have had a barrier between them for decades. If some cities like Winnipeg want to build a barebones stadium that will sit under a blanket of snow for 6 months ofthe year then more power to them. They are using their tens of millions of federal funding to build a museum, we on the other hand have other ideas.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 4:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
So what you are saying is the Province of Sask. is willing to fund a facility that will essentially funnel all major trade shows, events, concerts, etc. from Saskatoon to Regina for the foreseeable future?.
Who said anything about funnelling shows from other facilities? Sheesh this isn't your daddy's Saskatchewan, we are bursting at the seems. Lowest unemployment rate in North America, highest economic growth, etc. Do you have any idea how many tradeshows, conventions, conerts, etc bypass the prairies because of a lack of facilities? I saw the stats a few weeks ago and its astonishing. This isn't about stealing from those that already exist, its about working together and managing a booming economy. As an example, check the article I posted above in regards to Evraz Place.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
How do the people of Saskatoon feel about this? I find it hard to believe the government would want to get involved in this project if this was the case. It doesn't seem like great politics, especially since there are more votes in Saskatoon versus Regina.
....yet its a very popular Saskatoon MLA that is spearheading this whole project. Weird hey? Its almost as if most folks in Saskatoon support this project.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 5:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
Fear-mongering at its finest. As Saskatchewan is growing at an unprecidented level, how long does he think his facility should be the only one that can host big arena shows? If anything a new facility could open the door to events taking place in both centres as I've heard some bypass this area of Canada because there is only one venue. (ie Lady Gaga, U2)

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 5:59 PM

Quote:
What does the fact that there are more hockey games than football games have to do with the rationale you guys are using in regards to it being a multipurpose facility? And that isn't really the case if you add the Rams games, some Huskies games, and Thunder games to the already 11-12 game Roughriders scedule
You are helping me prove my point here exactly. This is a football stadium, plain and simple. Does CIS football require a 33,000 seat indoor stadium? Nope, they'd be lucky to fill an eighth of those seats, and the season ends far before the first snowfall. Does junior football need a 33,000 seat covered stadium? Nope, the season also ends in mid-october, and doesn't attract even close to that many fans. What kind of conventions do you know of that require stadium style seating arrangements?

The 2 biggest questions I have about this stadium proposal continually go unanswered:

First, what kind of events need to be held in this grand facility that can't be held elsewhere? (Please, don't tell me that the Regina Thunder or Saskatchewan Huskies need this...)

Second, if in fact (as you claim) that this will attract new concerts/exhibitions/conventions that currently by-pass Regina due to lack of facilities, Why wouldn't it be more prudent to build 2 facilities (which would still be much cheaper than the multipurpose building proposed now)? Why not build a 33,000 seat outdoor stadium for 150 Million (for the Riders, Rams and Thunder), AND a 15,000 seat arena (for those lady gaga concerts, pyramid scheme conventions and monster jam) for 150 Million? Interestingly enough, those 2 combined would still come in $160 Million cheaper than this proposed multi-use facility (which are currently going out of style in most major cities at the moment)... But then again, how can I expect someone who made a facebook group dedicated to this project to be objective about these questions...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 6:08 PM

"What does the fact that there are more hockey games than football games have to do with the rationale you guys are using in regards to it being a multipurpose facility? And that isn't really the case if you add the Rams games, some Huskies games, and Thunder games to the already 11-12 game Roughriders scedule."

Migs, are you serious about using this stadium for Rams and Thunder games? They only draw a couple of thousand on a good night. It is going to get incredibly expensive cranking up a 33,000 seat indoor stadium for just a thousand or so Rams/Thunder fans. The Rams/Thunder should keep playing at Mosaic or better yet build an inexpensive 3,000 seat metal stands stadium at the U of R campus.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
If I was a betting man, I would say that the federal government is not going to be coming up with $100 million dollars for this stadium any time soon. So that begs the question, can Regina go forward without federal government participation? Can Regina/Saskatchewan build, pay for and operate this project entirely on it's own with just private investors and city/provincial government support? Is it the will of the people of Regina/Saskatchewan to spend half a billion dollars on this project instead of spending that money on something else (roads, schools, medical, etc.) or just maybe not spending any money at all? Without federal dollars is this project A) Dead, B) On hold for the time being, C) Going forward but dramatically scaled back or D) Let's look at those renovations for Mosaic again?

I would love to see the Riders get a new stadium (preferably a beautiful new outdoor stadium), but I think it would be a travesty if something does not happen in the next ten years because they are still trying to make the multi-purpose entertainment center project work.
Are you for real , we neen a new stadium final answer , you must be a regina hater , it does not make any , any sense to build an outdoor stadium , to be used 5 months of the year no sense at all ,

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan