HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Thanks for sharing this, super interesting, but doing a tiny bit of research I found that the greater Lijiang metropolitan area only has a population of 211,151 people (which is more what one would expect, seeing your pictures).

If I go to China that city is definitely on my list!!! What a little gem
Me too. I never heard of Lijiang before this. Best thing I learned this week!

210,000 sounds like a good size for a city of that level of historic integrity.

Generally speaking, I think that the best-preserved pre-modern cities are the ones that are roughly the size they would have been in the past, so the standout ones in the world are usually between 50,000 - 300,000: Venice, Sienna, Granada, Toledo (not Toledo, OH!), etc.

Sometimes they have up to a million people, but there's a clear separation between the old city for the tourists, and the new, modern commercial one for the locals: Quebec, Cartagena, Seville, etc.

Cities that are over a million people usually got to that population by catering to the needs of a growing, modern economy at a time when historic preservation wasn't so important, so it's inevitable that there's a fair share of urban renewal and destruction in a city's past - even if it was in the 19th, not 20th century.

Imagine if Venice had a population of 3 million and was one of Italy's biggest cities? In the 19th century they probably would have torn down half the medieval architecture and rammed roads through for cars in the early 20th.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 4:54 PM
An Optimistic Realist

So many beautiful cities I've never heard of in this world. Thanks for the pics muppet. Traveling may be decreased during this pandemic but the wonder can still be seen via photography.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Samarkand, Uzbekistan.

Sorry, no pics.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:37 PM

San Antonio has a bit of an inferiority complex due to comparisons to other Texas cities. Houston and Dallas historically, and especially Austin in the last couple of decades as it has grown and begun to outshine SA some (airport, skyline, planned public transport, economy, national exposure are examples).

I’ve heard the following in describing San Antonio and it’s attitude.

A band is playing at a local SA Fiesta Week festival. The singer is engaging the crowd between songs. “Anybody in town from Houston?” Some people in the crowd cheer. The singer says ‘I love Houston. Its like a little Los Angeles.’ Then he goes to the next song. At the next break, the singer asks the crowd ‘Anybody here from Dallas?’ Some people in the crowd cheer. The singer again. ‘I love Dallas. Its like a little New York.’ Then goes to the next song. At the next break, the singer asks the crowd ‘Anybody here from San Antonio?’ The crowd roars. The singer then says ‘I love San Antonio. Its like a really big Poteet.’

Poteet is a tiny little town of just over 3,000 people south of SA that has an annual strawberry festival and is the birth place of George Strait.

I love San Antonio, and it is now expanding in lots ways...BUT, it has a long history of small thinking. I’d love that to change, but I’m not sure if it ever will. I believe that is a large contributor to why it gets over looked. Along with the comparisons to other Texas cities mentioned above.

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/...eflect-reality

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/...-real-problems

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 7:01 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Samarkand, Uzbekistan.

Sorry, no pics.
nice.

overlooked now, absolutely.

was definitely an important city at one time, and may well be again someday.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 7:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Samarkand, Uzbekistan.

Sorry, no pics.

hayy boddy — what do you mean sorry no pics?

i did a whole thread on samarkand.

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/....php?p=7529762

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Totally agree with this..A city may be overlooked, but it can also benefit economically by being part of a greater region. Location, Location..Another Cdn city that comes to mind in that regard is Hamilton..It may be overlooked, but it also has that economic draw from Buffalo, and Toronto adding to it's local economy..Ditto for Kitchener/Waterloo..I can imagine that there are a lot of other cases, like Milwaukee, and cities in either Ohio and Texas in the U.S that get a good spin off from being close to a large metro. Heck, even remove Vancouver altogether, and I bet Seattle would feel it in some ways.
Hamilton's proximity to Toronto is both a blessing and a curse. It gives the city access to way more amenities and opportunities than would otherwise befit an 800,000 metropolitan area. Like, even just having Pearson nearby is way more than similarly sized Quebec City or Winnipeg could imagine. It benefits from proximity to concerts and major sports as well as the jobs, universities, cultural spots, shopping, etc.

But on the flip side, one could argue that Hamilton is more reliant on Toronto and has less within its own boundaries than Winnipeg has, which is probably far more self-reliant, as it is the big city in its region. Hamilton could get overlooked for new investment because "oh, there's Toronto right there" but Winnipeg doesn't have that and will more likely get, say, a new thing (like a retailer or new flights).

The proximity also means Hamilton is extremely overlooked. Like it's probably the most forgotten (or even just unknown) large-ish Canadian city. Quebec City is well known because it is distinct enough from Montreal, has the iconic Carnaval, Old Quebec, Chateau Frontenac, and is the provincial capital. Winnipeg is the only sizable city between Edmonton and Toronto and is as well known as much larger centres like Calgary. Sort of similar to how Halifax is more known than larger London, Ontario or Kitchener-Waterloo.

Kitchener I'd say slightly stands out more than Hamilton (and more than London, ON) as it's slightly further from Toronto and forged an identity around RIM and other tech. Waterloo is also a well regarded university (as is McMaster for Hamilton, but it's often considered Toronto-adjacent in Western Canada).

London frankly just needs a name change. I think that's the largest thing holding back it being known. It's further away from Toronto to have its own orbit, is sizable, even has a skyline (unlike Kitchener), a strong university (Western), but when anyone referring to it, even within Ontario, needs to add the ", Ontario" after saying it to avoid confusion with the more obvious London, there's a problem with name/identity. But otherwise London feels like more of a complete city, like a smaller Winnipeg or a larger Saskatoon/Regina, probably because it isn't as new nor a string of smaller cities like Kitchener-Waterloo.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
So many beautiful cities I've never heard of in this world. Thanks for the pics muppet. Traveling may be decreased during this pandemic but the wonder can still be seen via photography.
Yes, I'd like to second this. Thanks for sharing what are truly overlooked cities, especially to Westerners. Like all the talk about Mexico City or Birmingham being overlooked when at least people are aware of them in a way I don't think you can say for Jodhpur.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 10:46 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Lijiang is definitely not overlooked in China. While it's technically a real, functioning city, it's akin to Venice in Italy ie. a nonstop, relentless crush of tourists at all times of the year. It's one of China's tourist meccas.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 11:12 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

In the US, the upper Midwest - Madison, Minneapolis etc

Madison, Wi by Thomas V, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 11:25 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Madison is nice, but it's in no way a major city.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 11:29 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i almost went to the university of wisconsin based upon madison alone. it is not a major city, to be sure, but it is an overlooked city (in the national conscious) nonetheless.

that absolutely and without doubt punches above its weight.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
San Antonio has the Spurs because they were an ABA team. The Spurs are older than the Mavericks of DFW. If Columbus Ohio with huge Ohio State can get a professional team, hockey, I don't why Austin could not get one of the big four leagues, although I doubt it would be football. I bet the Spurs eventually start playing a few games a season in Austin, and way in the future relocate to Austin. The Washington Wizards were once the Baltimore Bullets....
Austin is getting MLS. No way they get MLB, NHL or NFL too many teams already in close proximity in Texas. And No way the Spurs leave San Antonio, they are close enough to Austin to pull from that metro especially the south suburbs. Similar situation with the Thunder in OKC; the OKC metro is about 1.4 million but combined with Tulsa (similar distance as Austin to SA) it’s closer to 2.5 million.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 12:57 AM

I’ve been to all four of those Indian cities Muppet posted. I wouldn't say they are particularly overlooked, they are literally the four main attractions (perhaps along with Pushkar) in Rajasthan, which is one of the major tourist destinations in India. Jaisalmer was my favourite, even though it is the smallest. It’s an amazing sight. Jaipur is quite a big city, and the fort is outside the city centre. Jodhpur is a nice size, not too big and not too small and very attractive. Udaipur is pretty laid back up on the lake surrounded by hills.

Rajasthan is an interesting place. It almost has a European-style history with many different small scale rulers endlessly competing against each other and invading outsiders. Hence why there are so many palaces and fortified towns. It’s well worth a visit.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 2:40 AM

Cork, Ireland’s second largest city after Dublin, seems a bit overlooked.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
San Antonio has a bit of an inferiority complex due to comparisons to other Texas cities. Houston and Dallas historically, and especially Austin in the last couple of decades as it has grown and begun to outshine SA some (airport, skyline, planned public transport, economy, national exposure are examples).

I’ve heard the following in describing San Antonio and it’s attitude.

A band is playing at a local SA Fiesta Week festival. The singer is engaging the crowd between songs. “Anybody in town from Houston?” Some people in the crowd cheer. The singer says ‘I love Houston. Its like a little Los Angeles.’ Then he goes to the next song. At the next break, the singer asks the crowd ‘Anybody here from Dallas?’ Some people in the crowd cheer. The singer again. ‘I love Dallas. Its like a little New York.’ Then goes to the next song. At the next break, the singer asks the crowd ‘Anybody here from San Antonio?’ The crowd roars. The singer then says ‘I love San Antonio. Its like a really big Poteet.’

Poteet is a tiny little town of just over 3,000 people south of SA that has an annual strawberry festival and is the birth place of George Strait.

I love San Antonio, and it is now expanding in lots ways...BUT, it has a long history of small thinking. I’d love that to change, but I’m not sure if it ever will. I believe that is a large contributor to why it gets over looked. Along with the comparisons to other Texas cities mentioned above.

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/...eflect-reality

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/...-real-problems
Inferiority complex? I always got the impression San Antonio was full of itself, putting down Dallas and (especially) Houston to make it seem more important. All we hear about is the Alamo, the theme parks, the Spurs, the city's place as the 7th largest city and various other things that make a homer on this board seem tame by comparison.

No, there's no shortage of San Antonio boosters though maybe some have gotten a reality check, perhaps through the lack of sports relocations (meaning San Antonio isn't as big and important as they thought).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Lijiang is definitely not overlooked in China. While it's technically a real, functioning city, it's akin to Venice in Italy ie. a nonstop, relentless crush of tourists at all times of the year. It's one of China's tourist meccas.
I've been pretty obsessed with Chongqing for a while now and I'm planning to go there the next time I hit mainland China. How accessible is Lijiang by train from there and would it be worth taking the time to go?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:33 PM
if I sang out of tune

As mentioned in my post and by Giallo, Lijiang is inundated with tourists -as many as NYC so you can imagine how cramped the alleyways are at all times. There are instead other options, not quite as discovered.

I would also look maybe into exploring the countryside, which China has in spades to offer even more than the cities. Jiuzhaiguo and Zhangjiajie. Also Tiger Leaping Gorge or Tianmen Mountain - all accessible via Chongqing

Last edited by muppet; Aug 10, 2020 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:39 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

tourist visits in NYC totalled 65 million in 2018

https://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/...2470%20billion.

does Lijiang attract 65 million tourists?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
As mentioned in my post and by Giallo, Lijiang is inundated with tourists -as many as NYC so you can imagine how cramped the alleyways are at all times. There are instead other options, not quite as discovered.

I would also look maybe into ecploring the countryside, whcih China has in spades to offer eeven more than the cities. Jiuzhaiguo and Zhangjiajie. Also Tiger Leaping Gorge or Tianmen Mountain - all accessible via CQ
Yeah, I don't believe it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions