HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 9:34 PM

COW Assessment needs to be Overhauled

A friend of mine told me about an interesting situation that he encountered when checking assessments on houses in the Kingston Row area of St.Vital. He had found a 2800 sq.ft. 8 room house built in 1971 on the river with an assessment of $120,000. Similar and adjacent properties were all in the $300 and $400,000 range.

He wondered why the huge discrepancy?

Address is #53 Kingston Row.

http://map.winnipeg.ca/AsmtPreview/A...EN&Maptype=ADV

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 9:52 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

it prolly recently sold for that?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 10:54 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Try going through the assessments in Norwood Flats. They seem way low as well.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Try going through the assessments in Norwood Flats. They seem way low as well.
I'm old enough to remember homes in River Heights assessed lower than older, smaller homes in Elmwood and EK. Until the early 90's city assessments were way out of whack, sadly there still are instances of this.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 4:24 AM

Oh....did I mention, the owner's name is Allan Richard Golden.

Would that make a difference?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:49 PM

Semi-highjack this thread. Wondering if anyone could answer a question for me in regards to replotting of land a friend asked my and I'm not sure how the city property tax is assesed on it.

I believe taxes get paid in July for the entire year jan to dec. A friend of mine bought a new construction condo in August. As part of the close he paid the proportion of taxes belonging to him. Which was really small since the property was at the time assessed as a large piece of land. The developer paid the taxes on it (the land) so at close my friend paid the portion of taxes belonging to him, which was the proportion from aug to dec and then only a tenth since there was ten condos.

Anyway, my question has to do with the replotting of it. 2012 taxes were paid in full by the developer but the fomerly large piece of undeveloped land was split up mid year to be multi condo units. Will he have to pay additional taxes to cover the portion of 2012 when he took posesssion of the new condo at the now higher value? Or will the replotting only take affect for his taxes in 2013 and the 2012 taxes will remain unchanged from what was paid by the developer?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Anyway, my question has to do with the replotting of it. 2012 taxes were paid in full by the developer but the fomerly large piece of undeveloped land was split up mid year to be multi condo units. Will he have to pay additional taxes to cover the portion of 2012 when he took posesssion of the new condo at the now higher value? Or will the replotting only take affect for his taxes in 2013 and the 2012 taxes will remain unchanged from what was paid by the developer?
The way it works with new single family construction is that your property tax assesment is initially based on the value of the land only. At some point a reassement occurs which backdates the value of the property to the date you moved it with the difference being payable to the city. I suspect something similar will happen with your friend's condo and he will have to pay an additional amount of 2012. Further, it is possible the reassement will not occur before the 2013 taxes are due so he might have a second year of initially paying the low amount before the reassement happens.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 7:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
A friend of mine told me about an interesting situation that he encountered when checking assessments on houses in the Kingston Row area of St.Vital. He had found a 2800 sq.ft. 8 room house built in 1971 on the river with an assessment of $120,000. Similar and adjacent properties were all in the $300 and $400,000 range.

He wondered why the huge discrepancy?

Address is #53 Kingston Row.

http://map.winnipeg.ca/AsmtPreview/A...EN&Maptype=ADV
Hey now, I live on Kingston Row, don't give them any idea's to raise my fn taxes more. God when I bought this house it was worth $70K this was the mid 90's, and that was on the high end for here, and now it has ballooned to $450K in their books. House right beside me, just a flat, but it was $33K back then, it sold for the 4th time in 5 years for $350K.

But what makes me bitter, is the amount of taxes I pay, and the lack of any street services, they have YET to clean are side walks all winter, even with 4 calls now to 311. I clean my own all the time, but the older folks cannot.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 5:43 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Hey now, I live on Kingston Row, don't give them any idea's to raise my fn taxes more. God when I bought this house it was worth $70K this was the mid 90's, and that was on the high end for here, and now it has ballooned to $450K in their books. House right beside me, just a flat, but it was $33K back then, it sold for the 4th time in 5 years for $350K.

But what makes me bitter, is the amount of taxes I pay, and the lack of any street services, they have YET to clean are side walks all winter, even with 4 calls now to 311. I clean my own all the time, but the older folks cannot.
This topic irks me... I HATE the assessment department and councils ability to completely go over their head (or over the head of any profession they have no background in... see Corydon Avenue Drive-Thru). I have heard of people appealing their asessment, go to the appeal and say "my house is not worth this much money", win that appeal -- mostly because they know the system and their councillor, then put the same house on the market 3 months later and charge more than the original assessment.

It's a joke to call our assessment a "market value" assessment. If someone puts their house on the market for any amount it's an admission they believe their house is worth that much. They should not be able to appeal an assessment to below that value and say "my house isn't worth that much". I have seen this so many times it hurts.[/RANT]

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan