HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 4:28 PM

Also, Demo is complete for Related first phoenix area project in north Scottsdale. It used to be an LA fitness at Scottsdale & Thunderbird. Sign on fence says "Fall 2021" for first home delivery.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 5:33 PM

New redevelopment scheme proposed for McDowell Rd on the north side just west of the Scottsdale Rd. intersection. The urban market they are proposing looks small.

https://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/p..._5_ZN_2020.pdf

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 7:25 PM

Noticed one of the Optima tower cranes was taken down recently (but couldn’t say when exactly). Would be nice to see another go up - but I suspect that will be it for a while on that corner.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 6:14 PM

64th & Thomas

The former auto mall at the NE corner of 64th St and Thomas has been demolished. Given the current economy, and the seeming riskiness of spec office space, is that still what the developer plans there or has that been revised? Residential seems to be doing well along that corridor.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 6:20 PM

64th & Thomas

Ooops. 64th & McDowell, not Thomas.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgl77 View Post
The former auto mall at the NE corner of 64th St and Thomas has been demolished. Given the current economy, and the seeming riskiness of spec office space, is that still what the developer plans there or has that been revised? Residential seems to be doing well along that corridor.
Mixed-Use: https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/6420...e-AZ/17461379/

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 6:28 PM

I wouldn't be concerned with developing that corner. It's far out of my league, I'm just a small-time investor so I could be speaking out of turn, but if someone asked me to invest there I would do it. Very, very high upside long term at that location.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:17 AM

Another substantial zoning change proposal. This time for the entertainment district.

https://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/b.../Details/51069

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalzonie View Post
Another substantial zoning change proposal. This time for the entertainment district.

Looks pretty ambitious. Also, looks like they are trying to get away from the moniker of being known for bar/nightclub activity (demo'ing The Mint and Dakota) and instead try to evolve into an artsy district with mixed-uses.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 12:58 AM
Skyriser

oops

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 10:33 PM

Massive mixed-use redevelopment planned in Old Town Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalzonie View Post

More on this from PBJ.

Quote:
Steven and Shawn Yari have major plans for redevelopment in Old Town Scottsdale.

The top executives with California developer Stockdale Capital Partners have submitted plans to the city for the Scottsdale Collective project, which aims to “evolve and mature the greater entertainment district-area into a mixed-use district,” according to plans submitted to the city.

Those plans include redeveloping several parcels in the vicinity of the southeast corner of Scottsdale and Camelback roads into a variety of uses, including adding hotels, office and residential space, as well as retail and public art. George Melara and Jeff Brand of Nelsen Partners and Jason Ploszaj and Joe Ellis of RSP Architects have signed on as architects on the project.

The Yaris have been amassing property in the area for years, buying more than 10 acres of land across from Scottsdale Fashion Square, according documents submitted to the city and Maricopa County real estate records.

The Scottsdale Collective will total 10.25 acres of land, though not all is to be redeveloped. In total the plans call for the project to contain 580,451 square feet of commercial space and 512 units of residential. The site is adjacent to where Stockdale is already developing the Marquee office building at Scottsdale Road and Shoeman Lane.

Plans call for redeveloping what the application calls the “City Center” parcel, which is at the intersection of Scottsdale and Camelback roads. The intention is to demolish the existing buildings on the site to be redeveloped into a 160,600-square-foot hotel tower, a 116,500-square-foot residential tower and 41,000 square feet of retail space.

“The redevelopment of the City Center parcel focuses on creating a new gateway destination for Old Town,” the application submitted to the city said. The Yaris have owned the City Center site since buying it in 2015 for $22.6 million, according to real estate database Vizzda.

The next major redevelopment plan on the site is the Mint Night Club, east of Saddlebag Trail, which plans call to be redeveloped into a hotel with 116 rooms, an attached parking garage and ground floor retail uses. The project would total 97,300 square feet.

Documents show the Yaris also plan to connect the popular Maya Day and Night Club to a future hotel. Plans call for demolishing the Dakota nightclub to make room for the new hotel, which would include 165 rooms and a 5,500-square-foot restaurant space, along with the existing 22,600-square-foot club.

The plans also include several future developments, mostly along Saddlebag Trail south of the Mint, that will add 105,700 square feet of commercial use and 366 residential units. Plans do not include changes to the W Hotel, which is also owned by the Yaris and is in the middle of several of the parcels that will be redeveloped.

“The architectural character of the Scottsdale Collective is a balance of both local and timeless iconic expression,” the applicants wrote in the submittal to the city. “This project serves as the gateway into the Old Town Scottsdale district and should present itself as a defining structure worthy of its location.”

According to the submitted documents, the development will have a focus on public art, including permanent and temporary installations. The developer said a partnership will be sought with artists from Arizona State University to create some of the art pieces. The development will create an “eclectic quarter” for pedestrians that would include shade structures, seating and enhanced landscaping with public art around some of the new buildings, the retail portion of the Mint and the entirety of the Maya, near Indian Plaza and Saddlebag Trail.

Stockdale Capital Partners announced earlier this month it had closed on a $550 million funding round and planned to acquire buildings in the Phoenix and Scottsdale area. One of the buildings already purchased from the fund was the Henkel building, which has been renamed Ilume and is being reused as creative office space. The firm also owns the Galleria, which is adjacent to the Marquee construction site and the Scottsdale Collective proposed site. That former retail development has been adaptively reused as office space.

The submission comes just weeks after Scottsdale City Council repealed a previous decision to approve another nearby proposed mixed-use development, called SouthBridge 2. That development had been previously approved but drew heavy criticism from a group of residents and some councilmembers. The withdrawal of the prior approval was requested by the developer.
Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...cottsdale.html

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 4:26 PM

Looks very good, but after the south bridge 2 fight I doubt the nimby crowd will allow this. This is a prime lot that needs a development like this. It would probably elevate proposals for the rest of the vacant lots in the area as well.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 8:56 PM

This one has a higher likelihood of being approved mostly due to the surrounding uses and height in the area. There's a 8 story hotel being built nearby right now and this wouldn't be demolishing old "historic" shops and retail mostly just vacant office and a bar. I think the developer, who has a very strong record of developing Old town to what it is today, will be able to get this through.... especially now that everyones staying inside and uncomfortable showing up to hearing meetings

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:10 PM
Modulator

Speaking of Scottsdale, Katerra has updated renderings of Marquee: https://www.katerra.com/projects/marquee/

Scottsdale is going to get taller whether the locals like it or not.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 4:59 PM

1st non-gaming Caesars hotel begins construction in Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Well it took about 3 months to go from breaking ground to starting actual construction. Wonder if COVID delayed it some. Regardless, this is finally moving and is now scheduled to complete Jan 2022 instead of Fall 2021.

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/c...in-scottsdale/

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:47 PM

Mixed use project planned for north Scottsdale site. No formal plans yet but I am curious what they got planned.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...dm1zdz09In0%3D

A Scottsdale commercial real estate developer bought a 1.9-acre infill site in north Scottsdale for $6.65 million and plans to redevelop it into a mixed-use project.

A joint venture led by Jim Riggs along with Keith Mishkin and Angelo Giudice bought the property from Scottsdale-based Amiel Properties. Brokers from JLL Capital Markets, led by Brian Ackerman, represented the seller in the transaction.

“This location is one of a handful of true trophy locations in metropolitan Phoenix, and the opportunities are plentiful for redevelopment,” Ackerman said in a statement.

The site, at Scottsdale Road and Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard, currently houses a 15,000-square-foot retail center, which Riggs plans to raze. Riggs has completed several other redevelopment projects in the area and specializes in infill mixed-use development.

“We are close to announcing our plan for a truly iconic project complimenting the adjacent Frank Lloyd Wright Spire,” Riggs said in a statement. “Expect a mixed-use plan with a large residential component."

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Mixed use project planned for north Scottsdale site. No formal plans yet but I am curious what they got planned.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...dm1zdz09In0%3D

A Scottsdale commercial real estate developer bought a 1.9-acre infill site in north Scottsdale for $6.65 million and plans to redevelop it into a mixed-use project.

A joint venture led by Jim Riggs along with Keith Mishkin and Angelo Giudice bought the property from Scottsdale-based Amiel Properties. Brokers from JLL Capital Markets, led by Brian Ackerman, represented the seller in the transaction.

“This location is one of a handful of true trophy locations in metropolitan Phoenix, and the opportunities are plentiful for redevelopment,” Ackerman said in a statement.

The site, at Scottsdale Road and Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard, currently houses a 15,000-square-foot retail center, which Riggs plans to raze. Riggs has completed several other redevelopment projects in the area and specializes in infill mixed-use development.

“We are close to announcing our plan for a truly iconic project complimenting the adjacent Frank Lloyd Wright Spire,” Riggs said in a statement. “Expect a mixed-use plan with a large residential component."
Which corner is this? I’d imagine its the SW corner - the SE corner is the Promenade development - and I can’t imagine them taking that down. the SW corner would technically be in city of Phoenix - so interesting... The spire is pretty damn neat - quite curious to see what they come up with.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Which corner is this? I’d imagine its the SW corner - the SE corner is the Promenade development - and I can’t imagine them taking that down. the SW corner would technically be in city of Phoenix - so interesting... The spire is pretty damn neat - quite curious to see what they come up with.
It is on the SW corner. Although it is in the city of Phoenix, this block has the "magic" 85254 Scottsdale zipcode. I am very curious to see what comes of this as well! I hope it is the hard corner.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:47 PM
Skyriser

I did some digging at it does appear to be there. 16640 N Scottsdale Rd is where the seller does business.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:48 PM
Skyriser

And FLW is on the east side of Scottsdale...I guess FLW sounds better than Bell.

So they get Phoenix zoning with a Scottsdale address. Good for them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest