HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Yeah it said her last name is Santamaria an Italian last name?
Could be anything, there is Santa Maria island in Portugal, El Puerto de Santa Maria in Spain. We know it's Italian because we know that's where her paternal grandparents are from (not indicated on the birth certificate)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 1:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Re. Buffy Sainte-Marie: I don't really care and have no stake in the controversy either way, but one thing that jumped out at me from CBC's "exposé" that I haven't seen addressed is that - Indigenous or not - she obviously looks quite different from even her family members.

Case in point, this is her brother circa the 1960s: https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/...n_airforce.jpg
And Buffy around the same time: https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/...Village%29.jpg

Whether acknowledged by the family or not, there's certainly a strong possibility that she was either adopted or at least the product of an affair, and at least would have some reason to believe so.
There is a photo of her as a teen or very young adult that looks to be from a high school yearbook or photo sitting, where she most definitely looks like she could be your standard Italian-American girl from the NE US at the time.

Biological family members also don't always resemble each other that closely - especially not on photos.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is a photo of her as a teen or very young adult that looks to be from a high school yearbook or photo sitting, where she most definitely looks like she could be your standard Italian-American girl from the NE US at the time.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That wasn't my upbringing as I've said, but I did know some people who were Silver Spoon types and they were often the most likely to exhibit socially reprehensible behaviour. Along with those at the extreme opposite end of the spectrum - in their case it was because they felt they had nothing to lose.
Yes, this is the social class equivalent of the famous political horseshoe theory, which posits that the far left and the far right closely resemble each other.

As you say, it all comes down to having nothing to lose.

In modern society, "losing" ultimately is going to prison, getting a criminal record, and being condemned to spending the rest of your lifetime on the margins of society and not having access to meaningful employment.

But some people are part of a social class that is so powerful that they don't lose (they can live off passive income, and they rub shoulders with people in powerful positions that can get them out of a jam), and some people have nothing to lose.

"I ain't afraid of jail!" kind of leads to the same kind of anti-social behaviour as "He killed that girl in a drunken boating accident in Muskoka, but his lawyers got him off".

Last edited by hipster duck; Nov 1, 2023 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 2:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Reminds me of Laverne from "Laverne & Shirley"

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 2:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The lovely Penny Marshall. Her family's original name: Masciarelli.

It all fits.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Laverne DeFazio. I was going to say that it was interesting that you made the comparison but I thought Penny Marshall was a Jew playing an Italian.

But she wasn't Jewish, her father, Anthony "Tony" Masciarelli was of Italian descent, his family having come from San Martino sulla Marrucina, Chieti, Abruzzo. He changed his last name to Marshall before his son Garry was born.

Trivia time: Yeah, the earliest episodes of Happy Days are rather different from the rest when you revisit them, especially when it comes to Fonzie. But the Fonz was almost far, far different. He almost wasn't "The Fonz."

Series creator Garry Marshall had another name in mind when he first whipped up the show — his family's.

Before Marshall was born, his father, Arthur (sic) Masciarelli had changed his Italian surname to something more American sounding. As a tribute to the creator's roots, the character of Fonzie was originally named Arthur Masciarelli. The obvious shortener nickname for the guy? "The Mash."

There was just one problem. A ranked-number-four-on-TV problem: M*A*S*H.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Suzanne Somers has died. She was the wife of Alan Hamel, who for those old enough to remember, had a popular afternoon talk show on CTV.

Hamel was also part of the cast of the influential 60s CBC program Nightcap. As per Wikipedia: Montreal Gazette television critic Bernard Dubé described the series as "wild, corny, raunchy, lively and irreverent". Roy Shields, a Toronto columnist, panned the series as "the worst TV show in the world."

Anything, I have ever read or viewed about Nightcap was that it was inventive and influential, certainly far from "the worst TV show in the world."
Found a very cool clip of Nightcap, there are several on Youtube. It has Bonnie Brooks singing a popular Petula Clark song of the time. Brooks is also known for playing Sally Anderson, Tracy's ditsy cousin, who was also Doug's frequently annoying secretary on the classic The Trouble With Tracy.

In his book, TV North: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Canadian Television, Peter Kenter says "The Trouble With Tracy is universally considered the worst Canadian TV show of all time, especially by those who have never seen it." This is also true, it was far from being the worst and actually quite enjoyable for its time, although it would be woefully dated now.

Wikipedia has a very fair article on The Trouble With Tracy discussing its successes and failures

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Brooks is also known for playing Sally Anderson, Tracy's ditsy cousin, who was also Doug's frequently annoying secretary on the classic The Trouble With Tracy.
Start at 4:37
Tracy: "Horse, that's under H isn't it"
Sally: "Yeah, I think so"

That was a good line. Show is not as dated looking as I thought.

Video Link

Last edited by elly63; Nov 1, 2023 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 2:38 PM

Wikipedia: The series was produced as a daily show. The economic and time pressures of producing 130 episodes in a single season (seven shows were filmed every five days) meant cheap, wobbly sets, no outdoor filming, a laugh track instead of a live studio audience, the use of single takes, the reuse of 25-year-old radio scripts, and other shortcuts that resulted in a poor-quality show. Even flubbed lines and bloopers sometimes ended up airing, because the show could not afford retakes.

Noticed a couple of things in the video above

Tracy (7.00) After I raced him I was thirsty, so he got me a glass of water and just as I was going to take it from his paw (not hoof)

At 8:24 there is a guy's head at the bottom right of the picture

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 9:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We knew this, but it's nice to see the media call it out.

Also, St. John's treats pedestrian streets as special events, like a festival. They pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for security guards at EVERY. SINGLE. INTERSECTION. Meanwhile, most cities do nothing but throw up a barrier of some kind.

Quote:
The capital city charges nearly six times as much for a sidewalk patio than Canada’s largest city.

That’s according to a new report from the Canadian Federation of Independent Business on concerns surrounding municipal business policies in the Atlantic region.

According to CFIB’s Atlantic Municipal Report, the cost of a sidewalk patio permit in Atlantic Canada ranges from $131 in Moncton, to $2,690 in St. John’s—for an average of $995 across the region.

If St. John’s were not factored in, the average permit cost drops to $657. That’s still higher than the price of a sidewalk permit in Toronto which is $458.
https://vocm.com/2023/11/02/new-repo...-than-toronto/

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 3:35 AM

Quote:

At 8:24 there is a guy's head at the bottom right of the picture
Surprisingly something like this happened in Seinfeld too. However it’s only once the snow started airing in HD that it became visible.

It was a crew member visible at the right hand edge of the scene where Jerry is in Elaine’s apartment dropping off the cigar store Indian.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 2:58 PM

Bringing this topic over from Federal Politics as KW suggested..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
You're missing the point. It may be a drop from the GTA. But it is better than the average American town (at least in border states).
I would qualify that with states bordering "Ontario". There isn't such a gap for coastal and near-coastal border states. The US Midwest has arguably one of the weakest culinary scenes in the US, and the regions abutting Ontario are basically treated as the hinterlands of America.

Given Toronto's preeminence as the country's alpha metropolis, I think a more apt comparison to Guelph would be Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Tacoma, Princeton, New Haven, which are just outside the edge of their neighbouring American megalopolises. Having visited all of them, I don't think the culinary gap between these towns and Guelph is noticeable at all. If anything Guelph would probably be one of the more dissapointing locales.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Guelph was disappointing IMO, but KW has some decent places. Kingston has pretty good food offerings as well. Ditto Peterborough. And of course PEC, though that is more in the GTAs orbit these days - including the chefs. But yes, even the latter is a bit of a step down from the GTA aside from a few places.

But In general I've found a lot of Ontario food to be best when it isn't trying to emulate good Toronto restaurants. Echoing kw this is actually a good topic for another thread
Maybe I've tried the wrong restos and got the wrong recommendations, but I honestly don't get the hype about PEC. I've had much better culinary experiences in Oakanagan and Vancouver Island, as well as way more memorable restaurants I would want to return to in Gaspésie, Charlevoix and Eastern Townships.

Kingston is probably the best of the lot, but honestly if I had to choose I would rather go back to Halifax and New Brunswick, where I had arguably better food offerings.

I always thought the steep drop-off in culinary experience from GTA to the rest of Ontario was strange in a Canadian context. IMO, it reinforces the idea that Toronto is its own city-state and functions as its own island.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 3:25 PM

Anybody remember this, doesn't ring a bell for me at all. Possibly because my CBC affiliate wasn't an O&O and didn't carry it.

Delilah is a Canadian situation comedy television series which aired on CBC Television from 1973 to 1974.

Premise
Delilah marked the CBC's first situation comedy in prime-time, having aired its previous sitcom Toby in daytime.

Delilah (Terry Tweed) moves out of the city and becomes a small community's first female barber. Her barbershop was intended to be given to her younger brother Vincent (Miles McNamara), but he must first graduate from school.

Other series characters include Delilah's Aunt Peggy (Barbara Hamilton), the town's newspaper editor T.J. (Eric House), family friend Franny Tree (Peter Mews), Frances (Kay Hawtrey), Mavis (Joyce Gordon) and Isabel (Paulle Clark).

Production
Delilah was recorded before a live studio audience. Six of the episodes were written by Bryan Barney under script editor Jean Templeton.

Scheduling
This half-hour series was broadcast on Thursdays at 9:00 p.m. (Eastern) from 4 October 1973 to 3 January 1974.

Reception
The series generally received poor reviews and negative audience reception. It was cancelled after a single 13-episode season. However, CBC's next sitcom, King of Kensington, fared much better and became a multi-year success. Toronto Star television critic Jim Bawden declared the series as "Worst Canadian Sitcom", declaring the scriptwriting to be "appalling" and discovered an absence of laughter from the audience when he attended a taping of an episode.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 11:50 PM

A new video of mine exploring the variety of film locations throughout southern B.C. Besides the movie clips all the shots are my own taken over the last few years:

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:10 PM

Donald Shebib, director of landmark Canadian film Goin' Down the Road, dead at 85
Shebib, a film school contemporary of Coppola, returned to make his mark on Canadian film, TV
Chris Iorfida CBC News November 7, 2023

I can still remember the review from an old Leonard Maltin Movie Guide I had.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^that is too bad. I love that movie. I watch it every couple of years. It is a gem.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:21 PM

Quote:
^that is too bad. I love that movie. I watch it every couple of years. It is a gem.
Let's not forget the SCTV tribute. (Start at 6:30)

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 10:45 PM

Sad to hear about Shebib. Truly one of Canada's preeminent directors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada