HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 11:31 PM
Community Guy

Curious if this is to close the rumoured budget gap...

---
Hitting all the right notes at the Winspear Centre | En parfaite harmonie au Winspear Centre

March 12, 2024 Media inquiries
If passed, Budget 2024 would support culture in Edmonton’s downtown core by committing $12.8 million over three years to Phase 3 of the Winspear Centre expansion project.

Alberta has a thriving arts and culture scene that significantly contributes to our province’s economy and helps create vibrant communities. The Winspear Centre in downtown Edmonton is a hub where arts and culture come to life for thousands of residents.

If Budget 2024 is passed, Alberta’s government would commit $12.8 million over three years, starting next year, to support the third phase of the Winspear Centre’s renovation and expansion project. Phase 3 completes the 550-seat acoustic performance venue and adds community gathering spaces, music studios and classrooms.

“Winspear Centre is a treasured arts and culture hub that provides Albertans and visitors with world-class arts experiences while fostering a sense of community. By supporting this transformational project, Alberta’s government is building a more vibrant arts scene in Edmonton, creating jobs and increasing access to arts for Albertans from every walk of life.”

Tanya Fir, Minister of Arts, Culture and Status of Women
Supporting cultural infrastructure like the Winspear Centre ensures the province has the facilities needed to continue to celebrate and promote Alberta’s unique arts, culture and heritage. Supporting the Winspear’s project will enable the centre to have more space for educational, cultural and artistic programming, performances, meetings and conferences for youth and the broader public.

“We are moving closer to completing our dream of building a centre where everyone can gather downtown to share, learn and enjoy music. Music is at the heart of how we, as humans, express ourselves. The new Winspear will be a place where anyone can come to ignite their creative spirit, and the province’s added contribution will truly make a difference.”

Annemarie Petrov, president and chief executive officer, Francis Winspear Centre for Music
“We founded 5 Artists 1 Love 18 years ago to represent Black musicians and artists in Edmonton’s arts scene and take up space by performing in places where we felt we didn’t belong. For a world-renowned venue like the Winspear to build a centre that opens doors for all communities and all cultures is so important, because creating an inclusive space begins with representation.”

Darren Jordan, founder of 5 Artists 1 Love
Budget 2024 is a responsible plan to strengthen health care and education, build safe and supportive communities, manage the province’s resources wisely and promote job creation to continue to build Alberta’s competitive advantage.

Quick facts

The Francis Winspear Centre for Music is the home of the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra and the Tommy Banks Centre for Musical Creativity; it also hosts a wide array of concerts, community events and educational programming.
The Winspear enhancement is anticipated to create more than 240 construction jobs and 113 post-construction jobs.
Once completed, it will bring more tourists to the region, providing an estimated incremental impact of $4.5 million in the first year.
Related information

Winspear Centre Expansion

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
There is another colour axonometric one that is pretty cool too, but I cannot locate it.
In the early 80s, I had an axonometric plan of the entire downtown core with all the formally proposed downtown towers added to the existing ones. It was pretty impressive back then. It was something generated by the planning department. I wish I'd kept that. It was poster sized.

It's now forty years since then and what actually got built is a fraction of what was formally proposed up until the NEP cut Alberta's jugular.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 2:41 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 8:41 PM
Community Guy

As posted by Avenuer on SRC, it looks like Westrich will proceed with their tower at 11206-100 Avenue.

https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f.../#post-2066450

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 10:56 PM
Urbis Maximus

Wouldn't put it past Westrich to be the first to put shovels in the ground on a highrise given their previous track record. Good to see. To be honest, they just might have this timed perfectly given rental rates, interest rates and (as I am predicting) decreasing construction costs over the next several months.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 11:05 PM
SUSPENDED

Well this is good news.....How many floors?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 11:41 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I count 32 floors.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 3:18 AM

I quite like the rendering. Good to see Westrich moving forward with this to meet the huge demand for residential as Edmontons population growth leads the nation.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 1:58 AM
Community Guy

Website up for ONE12
https://liveatone12.com/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 11:52 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 11:54 PM
Community Guy

FromYEG on SRC

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 4:26 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 4:48 PM

They better not change anything with Sherlock Holmes - it is arguably one of the best pubs in the city.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 5:05 PM
Community Guy

^I believe the PM is going residential and I could see the annex getting demo'd for a new rental tower.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 5:29 PM
Community Guy

Last edited by Coldrsx; Mar 28, 2024 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 7:30 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:11 PM
A Better Place

Lots of real estate action downtown, good to see!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:12 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
They better not change anything with Sherlock Holmes - it is arguably one of the best pubs in the city.
One of the best with THE best going to Duggan's Boundary (imo). Not surprising given they are both owned by the same group.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:14 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I believe Fillmore Construction (or a corp. associated with them) purchased these assets.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:59 PM
Community Guy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton