HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Exactly. There will be no building on this lot. No chance. Council will delay final approval until cvc is in place.
This project already has a site plan filed, so even if the new CVC is approved, it would not impact this building. If it does get built, it would make the CVC moot. But Council might still approve the CVC in case the project does not get built.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
They're clearly not anti-growth/anti-development, as the CVC that affected Brackenridge did not move forward with the rest precisely because it affected that development. If they were anti-growth/anti-development, that would have added fuel to their fire, not stopped them.
They actually brought the Brackenridge CVC back the following Council meeting and asked that the analysis be expedited to not leave the RFP in limbo, but it is still under consideration.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 12:11 AM

The site plan is available. The updated 33-story height is 371' with four floors of condos. They are seeking a density bonus that allows it to be 450', but they are not planning to go that tall.

Link:
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=273955

There are also a lot of renderings from when this was a 27-story project. Here are a few:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 12:53 AM

Blank wall idea

Well, well, more blank walls. Here's an idea, build a bunch of these side by side then get video projectors and make our own version of The Freemont Street Experience found in downtown Las Vegas

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 4:24 AM
Member since 2001

Question...why would one spend time and money trying to gain approval for more square footage yet not have any intention in maximizing their new entitlement(s)?

It doesn't make financial sense.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Question...why would one spend time and money trying to gain approval for more square footage yet not have any intention in maximizing their new entitlement(s)?

It doesn't make financial sense.
I was thinking the same thing. All I could come up with is that they might want to have the option to add more condo levels before this thing gets started. The condo levels are a relatively new part of this project, and they haven't actually filed a site plan for the 33-story version as far as I can tell. The two site plans that have been filed were for the shorter versions (20 and 24-stories.) From what I understand, the 33-story version will need to have a new site plan filed.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 5:02 AM
Member since 2001

I believe condos have been apart off the plan all along. Not many, however. Under the "most recent" plan (obviously prior to the Capella-run hotel scheme), there were 22 proposed.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I believe condos have been apart off the plan all along. Not many, however. Under the "most recent" plan (obviously prior to the Capella-run hotel scheme), there were 22 proposed.
I don't think there was any residential component to the 20 and 24-story versions. The first I heard of residential units was in that WSJ or NYT article (I can't remember which) talking about it as a Trump Hotel. Either way, the fact that the developers mentioned they have "financial backers secured" gives me hope that this has finally become a real project. Of, course Sutton has/had a financial backer secured for the Waller Park Place project as well.

Outside of White Lodging's Marriott, I currently see this project as being the one with the best chance of starting out of all of the 30+ story projects in the pipeline.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 1:36 PM

The 45 minute discussion about this project at the 03/27 Design Commission meeting is online now. It's item 3A:

http://austintexas.gov/cityclerk/boa...tings/22_1.htm

It starts off with a presentation by a BOKA Powell architect. There is a lot of info about the design and materials. I'm excited about this project now. It will include a roof top restaurant with great views. The reason the height increased is because the developers agreed to give up part of the site for the future realignment of Red River St. The previous renderings indicated more of a blue color, but it will actually be more red because of the use of terra cotta. These are from the presentation.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 5:24 PM

While I'm not overwhelmed by the design, I do like it, especially with the added height. It lends much better than the first renderings. I think the roof top restaurant is awesome, the view will be one of the best any of us will ever get. I feel better about this project now, thx The ATX.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 6:23 PM
クラブトクヨ

Impressive, like the restaurant idea, and hope the building has nice lighting at night.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 6:24 PM

I know they've already announced the operator, but this one strikes me as a perfect place/size/setup for a Virgin Hotel . . . . .

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 8:33 PM

With the brown accents on this building, I'm hoping it will end up looking like a taller version of that empty apartment building "Rise," which I think looks pretty good. Suppose a more detailed rendering will show us soon enough...

Can't imagine that this is that desirable of a location for condos though. All the traffic of downtown but without being easy walking distance.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I know they've already announced the operator, but this one strikes me as a perfect place/size/setup for a Virgin Hotel . . . . .
I was thinking the same thing. And that vertical wall of glass looks like a design Virgin uses to place their logo. Red lettered Virgin Hotel against glass.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
...Can't imagine that this is that desirable of a location for condos though. All the traffic of downtown but without being easy walking distance.
It's awful now, but it should be decent in the future. This project is adjacent to the Brackenridge tract and the redeveloped Waterloo Park with amphitheater.

During the BOKA Powell presentation one of the Design Commission members was wondering if the owners of this project would be complaining about loud music coming from the amphitheater. The architect said sound mitigation would be a consideration in the design of this project.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 12:07 AM
World Traveler

^^ I like that people are now asking that question up front, unlike another unnamed hotel brand....

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecreek View Post
Well, well, more blank walls. Here's an idea, build a bunch of these side by side then get video projectors and make our own version of The Freemont Street Experience found in downtown Las Vegas
Those blank walls could be a great canvas for beautiful relief "sculptures" like we see on some of the new highway retaining walls - such as the trail drive scene on the 183A Toll Way underpass at 1431 in Cedar Park. Especially if contrasting colors could be used.

Just think how cool that would look lit up at night.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
^^ I like that people are now asking that question up front, unlike another unnamed hotel brand....
LOL. "Why is there so much noise coming from sixth street?!"

is like asking "Why is there water coming out of the water fountain?!"

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 1:48 PM

Just to close the loop on this, the Trump Scion proposal in Dallas is also dead.

The article is really good, and makes clear just how shady the proposal actually was.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/inve...las-hotel-dead

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 4:23 PM

Here is an aerial tour of the project:

https://vimeo.com/203493298/e33859e588

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin