HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdev View Post
I don’t have a problem with wanting taller buildings, but some of the posts about wanting taller buildings, when it doesn’t make sense economically, or more ground floor retail, in places that don’t make sense, just make me roll my eyes because I know how amazing it is that they’re building what they’re building.

The reason no one has built an office tower downtown in 30 years is because with current construction costs, you’d have to get $50/sf rent, which is almost double the cost of the Weston Centre.

To build it skinnier would mean smaller floorplates, which work for residential pencil towers in NY, but not for office space, where firms generally don’t want to be split over a lot of floors. To build it taller would mean an even bigger parking garage, and much higher costs (every additional floor means that all of the columns below have to be a little bit thicker, the elevator system more expensive, the drain pipes a little wider, the foundation piers a little deeper, the AC chiller system a little bigger, etc. And it is largely unproven whether the market will respond at those rates. (Other than Frost, I haven’t heard of any leases being signed.)

So to go forward and build it, hoping that tenants will come, and knowing that if they do come, they may be coming out of the Weston Centre (cannibalizing some of his existing tenant base) takes an incredible amount of guts and faith in San Antonio. His willingness to sign his name on a $100 million construction loan, which is a lot, even if you’re a billionaire, is putting his money where his mouth is, in a way that few in San Antonio have been willing to do.

In short, it’s amazing.

And so I feel like I’m watching the development Olympics, and just watched someone nail a perfect triple flip on the snowboard, and the guy drinking beer at the bar next to me says “yeah, but he should have done a quadruple flip.”

It’s not that a quadruple flip wouldn’t be awesome, but it may feel to some, that it shows a lack of understanding and respect for how hard it is to do what was done.

So instead of saying “It should be taller”, as if the architects and developers, through sheer lack of imagination, just hadn’t considered doing 60 stories, but now that you say it, they will...

Instead maybe say “I hope this building leases quickly so eventually it might make sense for someone to build an even taller tower.”
$50 per sq ft is not realistic. One of the biggest reasons, similar to Austin and its high costs of living, is lack of that type of living (penthouse and sky living). Lack of type of space is what makes demand high and prices high. Take Chicago, I can get a great apt in a prime area for less than what many charge for a similar type and area in Austin and San Antonio because of few places of its type exist, which brings demand up and prices up. To be more specific, I can get a 1 bedroom at the Aqua in Chicago for less than 3k a month. That is nothing comparatively speaking. Why? More to choice from. Many developments came to San Antonio, but what stopped them? Come on, we all know that answer. It's the same people that continuously say, "historic" and "don't change" and "we are our own city". Are biggest loss was AT@T.

Someone else posted not long ago about all the sq ft of office space that was developed outside of downtown San Antonio. The want for office space downtown is there, its that a few number of people have stopped what many have wanted. Properly taxes are high in Texas. It is much more economical for a company to build high on a small lot than in vast open land, taking up a number of acres or buildings similar to what USAA has done (hence why they are slowly moving back downtown, the need for more office space, that is).

In downtown's favor: What many don't understand is the many companies that exist. There are so many, if I were to list, you may not even know those names. Just look at the offices taken up by One World Trade. The Frost Tower will do fine. But with time. Again, with time...because many see Frost as a negative. A significant cultural change for downtown San Antonio. Therefore, those same people that don't want downtown to change also see anyone moving into such a modern complex as turning their back on the culture that exist in San Antonio to keep things "historic". An example of this is the significance of news coverage on this tower and seeing the often many negative comments regarding it. So...in short, political and economic growth downtown is slowing but it is there in the backdrop of company minds.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 5:41 PM

Fry guy, I don’t know how aqua rents are so low, but it looks like there is also a hotel and for-sale condo component, so maybe rentals are on a lower floor or something. Or prices are lower because there is a lot of competition, which is good for renters but maybe not sustainable for developers.

I did see that to get a parking spot there is an extra $250-315/mo. In SA that would need to be included, since there really isn’t the infrastructure to not have a car, and it’s expensive to build structured parking. Very cool project, though!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 8:19 PM
JACKinBeantown

Crown glass!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:39 PM
Meh

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...at-age-90.html
Quote:
Former Frost Bank leader dies at age 90

By W. Scott Bailey – Senior Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
Aug 11, 2018, 4:06pm

Tom Frost, one of San Antonio's most powerful business and community leaders, died Friday at the age of 90.

Frost was chairman emeritus of San Antonio-based Cullen/Frost Bankers Inc., parent company of Frost Bank, where his leadership spanned more than three decades.

Tom Frost was instrumental in San Antonio landing the 1968 World’s Fair and in developing the South Texas Medical Center. He was also a key player in helping the Alamo City land its lone major league sports franchise, the San Antonio Spurs.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 12:44 AM

Snapped a quick pic of the crown while I was pouring a beer in the kitchen tonight.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex06 View Post

Snapped a quick pic of the crown while I was pouring a beer in the kitchen tonight.

Nice view!!!!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 5:20 AM

I'll type it again - this building is so breathtaking against the old. I love it. I pass by it each day to work and back and it brings much joy to my eyes.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:31 AM

[IMG]Frost Bank at Night by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 12:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ Nice job lining up the crown portion with the roof line to create the illusion of one long drastic angle. You get a check mark!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 1:41 PM
PrimaPix Visuals

Does Frost enjoy leasing towers that are much much shorter than they should be. Both the one in Austin and now in SA are much shorter than they should be. They are beautiful!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:30 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Does Frost enjoy leasing towers that are much much shorter than they should be.
Yes.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 5:06 PM

Wow!!!!! That is going to be hard to top!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 1:35 AM

The three pieces of glass is n the garage look lit. I really hope the glass on the garage lights up. I'm not really happy with now they choose the glass for the garage, so lighting it up will help. And I really hope they start lighting up the building when they finish the crown.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
The three pieces of glass is n the garage look lit. I really hope the glass on the garage lights up. I'm not really happy with now they choose the glass for the garage, so lighting it up will help. And I really hope they start lighting up the building when they finish the crown.
I think when it's done, it will add much needed nighttime light to the skyline. The Mayor and other prominent leaders have expressed a desire for nighttime lighting, so I can't see any reason why this, and the other developments coming on line, wouldn't provide such lighting.

San Antonio will soon look beautiful at night.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
I think when it's done, it will add much needed nighttime light to the skyline. The Mayor and other prominent leaders have expressed a desire for nighttime lighting, so I can't see any reason why this, and the other developments coming on line, wouldn't provide such lighting.

San Antonio will soon look beautiful at night.
From the terrace of my residential building, the San Antonio skyline looks beautiful at night, but with the new project developments, it will look even MORE beautiful!!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
If you look at the webcam at night, you can see the glass on the garage illuminate different colors like blue, green, yellow, etc.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:29 PM

One of the Frost Bank logos is being placed on the crown!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 7:41 PM

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 7:44 PM
James

From my City employee source.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
The comments on the KENS 5 page remind me of why SA is behind the times. "Too much glass" ..."it doesn't fit in with the area" "SA has lost its uniqueness". Just imagine how these comments would look if reflective toward people. It's no different. A diversified population is always better for the cultural integrity of a city or community. Similar, the diversification of architecture is what makes a city unique and beautiful and powerful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio