HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
Heading back to the Peg in a few weeks and want to take my wife out to a fun dessert spot. Besides the ol Baked Expectations and BDI are there any new spots we should consider.

Thanks in advance
Off the top of my head I can think of...Double D’s cheesecake in St Vital is delicious, Chaeban on Osborne has great homemade ice cream, Oh Doughnuts on Broadway and on Taylor are the best doughnuts I’ve ever had, Milksmith on Corydon has creative interesting take on ice cream, Dug and Betty’s on Des Meurons is a made in-house ice creamery, Tall Grass Prairie at the Forks or Westminster has cinnamon buns to die for and their lemon cookies are amazing among other things. Goodies Bake Shop on Ellice has fantastic desserts. There’s great chocolate shops such as Moderns on Sargent, Chocolatier Constance Popp on Provencher, Decadence Chocolates on Sherbrook, Cocoa Beans is a gluten free bake shop on Corydon. Sargent Sundae on Portage with a stroll though Assiniboine Park is always nice. Others are Chocoberry Dessert House On River, Rusa k dessert cafe is a Korean dessert shop on St Mary’s, La Belle Baguette on avenue de la cathédrale ... hope that helps!

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 5:00 AM

If you want something a bit different, you might also try Rollesque (Vietnamese rolled ice cream) http://rollesque.com/ or Snow and Moon Dessert Cafe (2 locations, 1045 St. James St. and 5-1727 Kenaston Blvd).

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 3:09 PM

Thanks Wpg Guy and Authentic City. Wow lots to choose from(she will be pleased) looking forward to showing her my hometown for the first time.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 7:51 PM

Chaeban on Osborne is fantastic. Definitely go there.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 2:59 AM

I still like bronuts for doughnuts. They are a little less sweet, which I prefer. The fillings in some of the filled doughnuts are tasty but a little runny. A l’epi de blé bakery at Main and Hartford is a nice place.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I still like bronuts for doughnuts. They are a little less sweet, which I prefer. The fillings in some of the filled doughnuts are tasty but a little runny. A l’epi de blé bakery at Main and Hartford is a nice place.
Another couple of good suggestions. I might have to grab lunch at Baraka if I head that way as well...I mean it is the right thing to do

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:50 PM

Another one, if you happen to be downtown: Pastry Castle at 260 Edmonton, across from the Hydro building, has a small but excellent selection of cakes made in-house, sort of like a mini version of Baked Expectations (and cheaper, $5.95/slice). The Ferrero Rocher and Death by Chocolate are both amazing.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Another one, if you happen to be downtown: Pastry Castle at 260 Edmonton, across from the Hydro building, has a small but excellent selection of cakes made in-house, sort of like a mini version of Baked Expectations (and cheaper, $5.95/slice). The Ferrero Rocher and Death by Chocolate are both amazing.
Been googling all of these suggestions. Thank you everyone for the assistance on this. Such a great selection to choose from.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 2:43 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Skysthelimit, it be a good idea to also check out Yelp.ca, as they have reviews and ratings of restaurants and other eating establishments.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I hate Bronuts, I find their donuts to be pretty hard and dry, not very interesting flavours. Also find the service to be a little snobby and rude at the cafe sometimes. Oh Doughnuts IMO is leaps and bounds better.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 12:05 AM

Timmy Tom's Pizza (in Trans Canada Brewey, won one of the best pizzas in the world last year) is taking over the Aurora Pizzeria space on Corydon. Nice to see it stay quality pizza, and nice that the best pizza in the world will have a beautiful home with amazing patio.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I hate Bronuts, I find their donuts to be pretty hard and dry, not very interesting flavours. Also find the service to be a little snobby and rude at the cafe sometimes. Oh Doughnuts IMO is leaps and bounds better.
Yep, exactly this. Oh Doughnuts are amazing.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Off the top of my head I can think of...Double D’s cheesecake in St Vital is delicious, Chaeban on Osborne has great homemade ice cream, Oh Doughnuts on Broadway and on Taylor are the best doughnuts I’ve ever had, Milksmith on Corydon has creative interesting take on ice cream, Dug and Betty’s on Des Meurons is a made in-house ice creamery, Tall Grass Prairie at the Forks or Westminster has cinnamon buns to die for and their lemon cookies are amazing among other things. Goodies Bake Shop on Ellice has fantastic desserts. There’s great chocolate shops such as Moderns on Sargent, Chocolatier Constance Popp on Provencher, Decadence Chocolates on Sherbrook, Cocoa Beans is a gluten free bake shop on Corydon. Sargent Sundae on Portage with a stroll though Assiniboine Park is always nice. Others are Chocoberry Dessert House On River, Rusa k dessert cafe is a Korean dessert shop on St Mary’s, La Belle Baguette on avenue de la cathédrale ... hope that helps!
Some great ideas listed above. Another place to consider is Not a Waffle. It is a Taiyaki ice cream place. You get soft serve in a fish shaped waffle cone. The flavours vary from more traditional to things like sakura or matcha. You also get to have items such as gummi bears or pocki placed in the ice cream. The waffle is not like what you usually get from an ice cream shop, it has a different flavour and is slightly less crunchy.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 3:47 PM

Signs are up for The Local on Garry, and they're currently hiring. Sounds like they're fairly close to opening – should be open for Jets regular season.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 1:49 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I agree with this completely. Bronuts donuts always taste like they are a day old and the flavours that no one buys.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I agree with this completely. Bronuts donuts always taste like they are a day old and the flavours that no one buys.
Exactly this. Every once in a while I try them again, and it's always a disappointment. Why are they so dry??

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:09 AM
BANNED

Winnipeggers are spoiled in terms of good quality eating establishments. Where else can you get a good breakfast under $10 at Salisbury House, or some delicious, mouth-watering chicken at Chicken Delight.

Last edited by BlubberMiley; Sep 4, 2019 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:24 AM

^Best not to drink and type.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
^Best not to drink and type.
Where do you suggest one go, if they have limited time and budget? You do not tend to miss these establishments, until you are outside Manitoba. The only place to eat here is Denny's and KFC in comparison.

Last edited by BlubberMiley; Sep 4, 2019 at 6:19 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 10:55 PM

Anyone know if Resto Gare has a new chef?
I got an e-mail from them about a new guy but I wondered what happened to the woman who has been there for the last few years. I really liked her style of food.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan