HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
did they not tear it down completely and that new building is slightly further South? (weird as the new building looks exactly like the old building in terms of shape and size)
The old one was demolished and there's a new building... I vaguely remember seeing a for lease sign, suggesting that it was open to any interested fast food operator.

I didn't pay much attention to either the old or the new building, but out of the corner of my eye I'd say they look very similar to each other.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac1977 View Post
Does anyone know what is happening with the old Robin's that was on St. Mary's road (next to Cloud car wash)?
There is an apartment development proposed for that site making its way through city hall.

1639 St Mary’s
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...9&isMobile=yes

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:07 PM

^ Lots of room in behind the new restaurant for something like that.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 3:01 PM

Yeah, it was torn down and new building was put up. Construction seems to have halted. It looks like it was definitely going to be another fast food type place. I heard that it was supposed to re-open as Robin's again, but the owner backed out or something, and now could possibly be up for sale? Again, just rumours.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac1977 View Post
Yeah, it was torn down and new building was put up. Construction seems to have halted. It looks like it was definitely going to be another fast food type place. I heard that it was supposed to re-open as Robin's again, but the owner backed out or something, and now could possibly be up for sale? Again, just rumours.
It certainly looks like it was designed with fast food in mind, Robin's, Subway or what have you.

The funny thing is that the old Robin's store wasn't all that old, maybe an early 90s build? I wonder why they'd go to the trouble and expense of demolishing and rebuilding just for another Robin's.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 12:55 PM

I Heard Za Pizza Bistro is Coming To Osborne Village

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
I Heard Za Pizza Bistro is Coming To Osborne Village
Did You Hear That On This Forum Where It Was Mentioned

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:17 PM

^^^ maybe it was from the actual physical sign on the building announcing it? lol

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 10:07 PM

Hi all!
I came here looking for more information on the issues at the Perkins on Henderson Highway and wound up reading your posts for half an hour. You guys are hilarious!

Anyway we went to the Perkins last night and ran into a staff member we know who was just leaving. They have changed the hours to run from 7 AM to 4 PM as of a few weeks ago. They had to lay off staff and others went to other locations because of the shorter hours.

I get that this location had issues. Major ones. But it was always pretty busy when we were there. I have a relative that loves the place so we took him there once a month or so.

Then I started reading and it seems like more and more Perkins locations are closing. Is this true? Are they all just going to be shutting down?

One other thing. According to one of the managers at the BP on Henderson, there are 3 places opening up on that new pad being built at that corner. One is confirmed as a Popeyes. They think the other 2 will probably be food places as well but that's not confirmed yet.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:59 AM

Perkins has been slowly shedding stores for almost a decade. Their parent company is for sale and industry rumours are no one wants it unless it declares bankruptcy first as they have a lot of debt.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 4:29 PM

East K/North K could definitely support a Stellas/Coras/IHOP. There is near zero competition on the Henderson corridor in the breakfast side of things.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 2:09 PM

I wasn't aware the parent company was for sale. That makes a little more sense now.

You're definitely right CoryB. Henderson Highway and the surrounding area could really use a couple of good mid-range sit down restaurants. For breakfast and for every other meal. I'd love to see an IHOP.

I guess we'll go back to the Regent area more again. At least there are more options there.

Any idea if the Perkins on Regent is closing too?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
East K/North K could definitely support a Stellas/Coras/IHOP. There is near zero competition on the Henderson corridor in the breakfast side of things.
Not really any room on Henderson for any chain restaurants. BP had been looking for years to put a store in between their Regent and McPhillips stores to serve North K but until Safeway redeveloped their River East location there was no space available.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 2:52 AM

Looks like Alycia's closed... all the signs in the window say Royal Albert Bar & Grill now.

UPDATE: This is half correct, Alycia's (the restaurant) has changed their name and menu in the hotel, and runs "Alycia's" as catering only out of there now.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:13 PM

Alycia's in Gimli (now closed) and north of Gimli (pretty sure it is now closed) both seemed to have some idea what they were doing and were relatively successful at getting foot traffic on high season days. The location at the Royal Albert though struck me as being somewhat disorganized in how to run the place and that was well after they should have been past the opening period issues.

Can't say I am surprised by the news especially when they locate in a relatively competitive area.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:47 PM

Was just remarking to the GF yesterday "remember when Perkin's was THE place?"

What were the issues on Henderson, security? Back in the day, our go-to locations were Lakewood and Pembina and there would often be "issues" over-night with the bar crowd but they always had an abundance of bar security unwinding after work to take care of problems. Many conversations with the managers at the times that they needed security but it never happened.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post

What were the issues on Henderson, security? Back in the day, our go-to locations were Lakewood and Pembina and there would often be "issues" over-night with the bar crowd but they always had an abundance of bar security unwinding after work to take care of problems. Many conversations with the managers at the times that they needed security but it never happened.
I think the issue was that Perkins sucks haha

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 4:16 PM

There is a new place coming to the Cityplace food court. It is going in where the old shawarma place used to be. The signs are advertising it as Bayleaf Bistro.

Has anyone heard of this place before? It doesn't seem to be a franchise.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Perkins has been slowly shedding stores for almost a decade. Their parent company is for sale and industry rumours are no one wants it unless it declares bankruptcy first as they have a lot of debt.
All the Winnipeg Locations were franchises. Are you referring to the local franchise being for sale or the US company?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post

The main issue on Henderson is that it's old and run down. No real security issues that I've ever heard of.

But the washrooms are atrocious, the kitchen is horribly out of date and the carpet is ground in with dirt. The A/C doesn't work right and they've had water problems when it rains. They only do minimal fixes so things just keep getting worse.

It's been very frustrating for the manager and the staff have a hell of a time keeping the place looking decent.

I do know that this location is in a building Perkins doesn't own. They lease it from Concord. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that they might just be biding their time until the current lease runs out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan