HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 6:02 PM

The only consolation is that maybe next time there'll be a successful pitch for a 30 storey tower on that site.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
yipeee a prime waterfront acreage overlooking downtown that use to be a City storage yard will continue to be a mud, abandoned lot.
Yet another reason to start a PR campaign against NIMBY thinking. I think the first thing that needs to be challenged is the "David vs Goliath" myth that so many NIMBY-ists (is that a word?) like to role-play. The self-described "victory for the little guy" is, unfortunately, more often than not a thin disguise for "I get my way and to hell with the community at large.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 8:39 AM

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 1:35 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
So the NIMBY's have apparently won the battle against the 7 storey condo by Sunstone at 825 Tache along the river. The owner confirmed the project has been cancelled.

On what basis, any idea?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 2:03 AM

It was going to block the sun from the lady's snap dragons in the summer from across the street IIRC.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 3:35 AM
surely you agree with me

Was it blocked by the city or did they just give up because of the opposition?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:06 AM

I'm not sure. Matt Allard was a major proponent of this project. I should email him and ask what happened.. he's good at answering!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 2:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
On what basis, any idea?
I didn't get any details other than Sunstone confirmed it's cancellation.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 3:35 PM

That's disappointing. The dude with the no condos sign ended up winning haha.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 3:41 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That's disappointing. The dude with the no condos sign ended up winning haha.
The forumers here should band together to build a thirty floor building out of spite
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:03 AM

Starting today the speed limit on Marion and Goulet (St. Mary's to Youville) is 50 km/h. With all new openings and improvements in the area – especially Marion – lately, this is awesome.

This will also now allow restaurants in the area to apply to take up the parking lanes for patios. Can't wait to see what happens.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Starting today the speed limit on Marion and Goulet (St. Mary's to Youville) is 50 km/h. With all new openings and improvements in the area – especially Marion – lately, this is awesome.

This will also now allow restaurants in the area to apply to take up the parking lanes for patios. Can't wait to see what happens.
Most of the people in my office are both okay with the speed change, and excited about more patios on the strip of Marion. Deen's and Pasquales are both great, but more options is always welcome.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post
Most of the people in my office are both okay with the speed change, and excited about more patios on the strip of Marion. Deen's and Pasquales are both great, but more options is always welcome.
By my math, there is 17.5 second difference between travelling that stretch at 50km/hr vs 60km/hr (assuming no stops). So I will leave 20 seconds earlier in the morning just to be safe.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Seriously? Does 6.2 miles per hour make a difference, will it actually improve safety or just another knee jerk reaction from silly hall!?

Show me a stat. where lowering the speed 10 KMPH actually makes it safer, the issue before wasn't the 60 speed limit, it was those going 70-80!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Seriously? Does 6.2 miles per hour make a difference, will it actually improve safety or just another knee jerk reaction from silly hall!?

Show me a stat. where lowering the speed 10 KMPH actually makes it safer, the issue before wasn't the 60 speed limit, it was those going 70-80!
We all know that people exceed the limit, but most people tend to stay within 10 to avoid attracting the eyes of police. So if the effect of reducing the limit is that most speeders go 60 instead of 70, well, I'd say that makes a difference. Before, 70 wouldn't raise an eyebrow which was crazy for a street like Marion. But someone going 70 now will be well into the speeding ticket zone, as they should be.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:

There are studies showing that there is basically a huge jump in lethality as speeds raise, going from most collisions being survived at 40km/h to basically 100% lethal at 60km/h. So 50km/h is actually pretty much right at the inflection point where each additional lowered km/h would make a huge improvement in safety. Here's a report from City of Toronto https://www.tcat.ca/wp-content/uploa...eReviewWeb.pdf

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 8:06 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 10:58 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:

Well, I agree with the general thrust of your comment in relation to the speeds we're talking about, higher speeds increase stopping distance and therefore increase the potential to hit something. If you look at it this way, it does make sense and isn't counterintuitive. That said, it's been 60 on Marion for decades. Did we suddenly get a bunch of deaths on the street?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Well, I agree with the general thrust of your comment in relation to the speeds we're talking about, higher speeds increase stopping distance and therefore increase the potential to hit something. If you look at it this way, it does make sense and isn't counterintuitive. That said, it's been 60 on Marion for decades. Did we suddenly get a bunch of deaths on the street?
There was that one last year where the victim got hit by a trailer and they guy took off. As far as I know the driver got away with it. But that is the only incident that I can think of.

Driving down that stretch during the day, the on-street parking is often full and there is a lot of parallel parking going on. It is pretty rare to be able to get up to 60 during the daytime. As a driver, this is not a significant loss. Not like those 30km/hr school zones...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:32 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
There was that one last year where the victim got hit by a trailer and they guy took off. As far as I know the driver got away with it. But that is the only incident that I can think of.
I don't think that is indicative of Marion/Goulet. That was an asshole who stole a truck and trailer and hit a bunch of cars. Unfortunately that lady got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan