HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Today, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
So the metric is the grocery store that has always been one of the worst grocery stores to go to? I mean, it has literally been called Psycho Safeway for as long as I have lived here.
This. Even long before COVID, this Safeway was rough, to say the least.

Old Posted Today, 12:12 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
So the metric is the grocery store that has always been one of the worst grocery stores to go to? I mean, it has literally been called Psycho Safeway for as long as I have lived here.
The barbershop that's been on the corner of 11th & Columbia for over 20 years closed.

The little convenience store a block away on 12th & Jefferson for over 20 years closed.

The dry cleaners that had been at 12th & Jefferson for 20 years. Closed.

The Amazon Prime location across the street. Closed.

Coava Coffee spent quite a bit of money (for a local shop) to open on the other side of 12th & Jefferson. Closed.

The retail shop across the street from Safeway at 10th & Jefferson has a prime location and hasn't been able to lease for years.

Those are just a few examples off the top of my head.

But, yeah, everything's great.

I love Portland so much, but I'm blown away by the amount of denial here. It's funny to see those who don't live downtown telling those who do how we're wrong about the state of downtown.

Old Posted Today, 12:15 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
This. Even long before COVID, this Safeway was rough, to say the least.
It's never been this bad. And look at all of the other businesses nearby that have closed - some of which made it through Covid.

Old Posted Today, 5:23 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
The barbershop that's been on the corner of 11th & Columbia for over 20 years closed.

The little convenience store a block away on 12th & Jefferson for over 20 years closed.

The dry cleaners that had been at 12th & Jefferson for 20 years. Closed.

The Amazon Prime location across the street. Closed.

Coava Coffee spent quite a bit of money (for a local shop) to open on the other side of 12th & Jefferson. Closed.

The retail shop across the street from Safeway at 10th & Jefferson has a prime location and hasn't been able to lease for years.

Those are just a few examples off the top of my head.

But, yeah, everything's great.

I love Portland so much, but I'm blown away by the amount of denial here. It's funny to see those who don't live downtown telling those who do how we're wrong about the state of downtown.
It's not denial, it's just a fact. Don't lead with Psycho Safeway being bad when trying to make a point. You want to say the loss of businesses during the pandemic are still hurting this part of downtown, then that is valid, but don't use a grocery store that has been known as "psycho" for the past several decades as the example.

Old Posted Today, 7:14 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
It's not denial, it's just a fact. Don't lead with Psycho Safeway being bad when trying to make a point. You want to say the loss of businesses during the pandemic are still hurting this part of downtown, then that is valid, but don't use a grocery store that has been known as "psycho" for the past several decades as the example.
No.

The "psycho Safeway" was the old building, across the street from where it is now. That Safeway didn't even need security guard.

The current Safeway opened in 2002. It was open for a decade before they had to hire a security guard.

Somewhere around 2016, they added a second security guard.

Now they have FIVE.

Yesterday, they had more security guards than they had checkers. If that's not shocking to you, you're in deep denial.

This month, after 22 years in this location, Safeway had to permanently close what was the store's main entrance, at 10th & Jefferson because they're being overrun by crime. If that's not shocking to you, you're in deep denial about the state of downtown.

A grocery store is THE perfect example of the health of a neighborhood because everybody eats.

I can't believe I even had to explain something like that in a forum about development where so much of the emphasis is on housing.

I'll say it again. A grocery store is the PERFECT example of the health of a neighborhood because everybody eats.

Downtown is in rough shape, and the denial is shocking.

But hey, the old Safeway had a nickname which you can use as a way to deny that things aren't worse now.

Fine. Let's talk about the library. The library recently reopened after being closed for months, for a major renovation.

How'd the reopening go? Predictably, badly:

Quote:
As fentanyl use increases around Central Library, Portland agencies scramble for solutions

Police have focused on the area as the 90-day downtown Portland “fentanyl state of emergency” winds down, calling it a hotspot for fentanyl use — the latest in a series that have popped up since 2023 when authorities shut down the derelict Washington Center.

The fentanyl emergency also prompted local leaders in February to suspend bottle and can redemption services at the downtown Safeway and nearby Plaid Pantry — both only a few blocks away from Central Library.
...continues at Oregon Live

Gee, I wonder if the library had a nickname too.

Come to the Plaid Pantry after the store closes tonight - or any night. No, really. I dare you. Come to the Plaid Pantry after it closes, on any night. Dudes set up shop under the lights in front of the store, dealing. The police don't even care.

Gee, I wonder if the Plaid Pantry had a nickname too.

Old Posted Today, 7:22 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

P.S. If I need to explain how a grocery store is the heart of a neighborhood, not to mention a lifeline for a neighborhood, let me know. If a concept that basic needs to be explained, no, really, let me know, because there is no shortage of studies documenting it.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but I am done with denial about the state of downtown.

Old Posted Today, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
No.

The "psycho Safeway" was the old building, across the street from where it is now. That Safeway didn't even need security guard.

The current Safeway opened in 2002. It was open for a decade before they had to hire a security guard.

Somewhere around 2016, they added a second security guard.

Now they have FIVE.

Yesterday, they had more security guards than they had checkers. If that's not shocking to you, you're in deep denial.

This month, after 22 years in this location, Safeway had to permanently close what was the store's main entrance, at 10th & Jefferson because they're being overrun by crime. If that's not shocking to you, you're in deep denial about the state of downtown.

A grocery store is THE perfect example of the health of a neighborhood because everybody eats.

I can't believe I even had to explain something like that in a forum about development where so much of the emphasis is on housing.

I'll say it again. A grocery store is the PERFECT example of the health of a neighborhood because everybody eats.

Downtown is in rough shape, and the denial is shocking.

But hey, the old Safeway had a nickname which you can use as a way to deny that things aren't worse now.

Fine. Let's talk about the library. The library recently reopened after being closed for months, for a major renovation.

How'd the reopening go? Predictably, badly:

...continues at Oregon Live

Gee, I wonder if the library had a nickname too.

Come to the Plaid Pantry after the store closes tonight - or any night. No, really. I dare you. Come to the Plaid Pantry after it closes, on any night. Dudes set up shop under the lights in front of the store, dealing. The police don't even care.

Gee, I wonder if the Plaid Pantry had a nickname too.
I have been feeling like not chiming in on this because of the clap-backs I received with regard to my skeptical posts of late. Some of the clapping is deserved, but I agree with all of the thoughts on 'denial'. My friend is a photographer in town who did the piece for the NYT on Portland recently, and did a week of ride-alongs with PPD. He said that things are so bad that the cops have fully given up on that portion of downtown. There are few prospects for new patrol officers and there are threats (according to him) of mass resignations if they don't get more resources. Sounds a lot like the teachers, too, as an aside. I am not promoting that social collapse is nye, nor that come November things are going to devolve due to another ugly election cycle, but I am not going to deny that things are absolutely frightening in sectors of downtown. Like, really bad. I've raised my kids in inner NE and we have views of the city, but my daughters are coming to the age (12 and 14), where they're wanting to explore their environs, but they have ZERO desire to cross the bridge, not due to my partner and my urging, but by their own common sense. I have waxed nostalgically about the '2018 30+ Crane' days, but honsetly, I don't care if we get another 460 footer, just so long as the city can get their sh*t together enought to elect hard-hitters who can get stuff done and get the working parts of government/law enforcement to take action. The fact that I can't provide the same experience of safe bus riding and MAX for my kids to venture to downtown makes me feel like my whole generation has some explaining to do and some amends to make. I love this town, but things need to change in a hurry. My fear is that it's gotten so bad that people leave en masse. There are a lot of dissatisfied taxpayers and people want their city back. Sorry if that was a ramble. I have a lot of fears, and my faith in governance is being tried on an unprecedented and somewhat embarrassing level.

Old Posted Today, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Kass View Post
I have been feeling like not chiming in on this because of the clap-backs I received with regard to my skeptical posts of late. Some of the clapping is deserved, but I agree with all of the thoughts on 'denial'. My friend is a photographer in town who did the piece for the NYT on Portland recently, and did a week of ride-alongs with PPD. He said that things are so bad that the cops have fully given up on that portion of downtown. There are few prospects for new patrol officers and there are threats (according to him) of mass resignations if they don't get more resources. Sounds a lot like the teachers, too, as an aside. I am not promoting that social collapse is nye, nor that come November things are going to devolve due to another ugly election cycle, but I am not going to deny that things are absolutely frightening in sectors of downtown. Like, really bad. I've raised my kids in inner NE and we have views of the city, but my daughters are coming to the age (12 and 14), where they're wanting to explore their environs, but they have ZERO desire to cross the bridge, not due to my partner and my urging, but by their own common sense. I have waxed nostalgically about the '2018 30+ Crane' days, but honsetly, I don't care if we get another 460 footer, just so long as the city can get their sh*t together enought to elect hard-hitters who can get stuff done and get the working parts of government/law enforcement to take action. The fact that I can't provide the same experience of safe bus riding and MAX for my kids to venture to downtown makes me feel like my whole generation has some explaining to do and some amends to make. I love this town, but things need to change in a hurry. My fear is that it's gotten so bad that people leave en masse. There are a lot of dissatisfied taxpayers and people want their city back. Sorry if that was a ramble. I have a lot of fears, and my faith in governance is being tried on an unprecedented and somewhat embarrassing level.
I would love nothing more than to see the city as vibrant, safe, clean, and comfortable as it was, not-so-long ago.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland