HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Please provide a quote (or quotes) from me on this forum that made it "seem like I was bashing Sacramento's urban bona fides" specifically.

You won't be able to, because I never did. My remarks here have been restricted to me a) not caring for the city of Sacramento (at all) and b) preferring Las Vegas and Phoenix in comparison to Sacramento.
ozone said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
In the Western USA, the cities with the most undeserved bad raps are—
Los Angeles
Sacramento
Salt Lake City
Spokane

The ones with the most well-deserved bad raps are—
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Fresno
When I read this and think about what Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Fresno might all be criticized for (i.e. "bad rap"), I would think for being car-oriented, with uninteresting urban environments.

You replied:

Quote:
says the guy based in Sacramento.
It implies that you thought whatever criticism he was offering of Vegas, Phoenix, and Fresno, was also valid against Sacramento. But, you're right, you did not say explicitly why you thought, based on where he lives, that his critique of those cities was preposterous. So, why do you think that?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Dubai is a totally alien city and civilization for any Western person. It can't be meaningfully compared to places like Paris or Chicago in any real way (which is I think what Crawford was getting at).
Yes it can lol A train in Dubai or Beijing or Tokyo or NYC are still trains. People are still people on those trains.

I never said "gosh I really love big government in Dubai or China keeping people in line(although Tokyo kills them in this respect)." I just said riding the train in those places is better and more pleasant than in the USA.

They are comparable because they are all examples of people on trains.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
ozone said:

When I read this and think about what Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Fresno might all be criticized for (i.e. "bad rap"), I would think for being car-oriented, with uninteresting urban environments.

You replied:

It implies that you thought whatever criticism he was offering of Vegas, Phoenix, and Fresno, was also valid against Sacramento. But, you're right, you did not say explicitly why you thought, based on where he lives, that his critique of those cities was preposterous. So, why do you think that?
KEY WORD: "implies". And that's "implies" in YOUR opinion.

Reaching, much?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
KEY WORD: "implies". And that's "implies" in YOUR opinion.

Reaching, much?
Yes, I would have to imply because you weren't clear. If you don't want to be misinterpreted then be clear about what you're saying.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:38 PM

Jacksonville's skyline. It just doesn't get enough respect compared to others, especially Toronto's.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, I would have to imply because you weren't clear. If you don't want to be misinterpreted then be clear about what you're saying.
I literally wrote:

"says the guy based in Sacramento"

The ONLY thing that statement "implies" is that a guy from Sacramento only believes Sacramento has an undeserved bad rap because he's FROM Sacramento.

It "implies" NOTHING ELSE.

Methinks YOU need to be clear on what YOU interpret.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
I literally wrote:

"says the guy based in Sacramento"

The ONLY thing that statement "implies" is that a guy from Sacramento only believes Sacramento has an undeserved bad rap because he's FROM Sacramento.

It "implies" NOTHING ELSE.

Methinks YOU need to be clear on what YOU interpret.
I think you should go reread the thread.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:06 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
In the Western USA, the cities with the most undeserved bad raps are—
Los Angeles
Sacramento
Salt Lake City
Spokane
I think LA gets about the right amount of love and respect. While some tired clichés and stereotypes still linger, I think they no longer completely drive the narrative like they did as recently as the mid-2000s. Most of it is simply due to civic maturation/evolution and the ability to access content very easily these days.

The most outdated "bad rap" stuff:

1) LA's very dangerous
2) LA's not a good sports town
3) LA's nothing but transplants
4) Everyone is obsessed with celebrities / wants to be famous
5) A huge proportion of the female population has had plastic surgery, botox, and breast augmentations
6) Every other person is a surfer or skater
7) "86 suburbs in search of a city"

I feel like every other negative trait still has at least some degree of truth to it and is therefore a legitimate knock.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I think you should go reread the thread.
Doing so wouldn't change the fact that you interpreted a message that was in no way, shape or form "implied" (except in YOUR OWN head).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
ozone said:

You replied:

The criticisms of Sacramento often come from a visitors perspective or in comparison to say nearby San Francisco. And at one time what people say about Sacramento would have been true. But it's changed quite a bit. For years, going back to the late 19th Century Sacramento suffered from a "cultural drain" to San Francisco. Now that it has become prohibitively expensive that becoming reversed. I'm not from here but even if were that wouldn't necessarily invalidate my opinion anymore than someone from Las Vegas or Phoenix defending those cities. Neither Las Vegas or Phoenix have a substantial historic walkable urban core that come close to Sacramento. In fact, judged by traditional markers of good urban environments they fail miserably. Los Angeles gets a bad rap for that too but I think that's unfair, there has always been more there than people gave it credit for and its especially true now that they've been infilling like mad and are building a huge rail system.

Last edited by ozone; Sep 4, 2019 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:44 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I never been to Sacramento and don't even know what it looks like but I already know it's better than Vegas.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:11 PM

Las Vegas seems far superior over Sac to me. I am extremely familiar with Vegas and admittedly its one of my favorite cities in the world. I travel through Sac and have explored it and it was a pretty cool city. I usually stop there for a day if I'm traveling to Tahoe unless I take 395.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Doing so wouldn't change the fact that you interpreted a message that was in no way, shape or form "implied" (except in YOUR OWN head).
Why do you act so childish?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
Las Vegas seems far superior over Sac to me. I am extremely familiar with Vegas and admittedly its one of my favorite cities in the world. I travel through Sac and have explored it and it was a pretty cool city. I usually stop there for a day if I'm traveling to Tahoe unless I take 395.
Really, Vegas? Yikes, lol.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:23 PM
BANNED

^ 2019: the year "pointing out facts" became the equivalent of "acting childish" to the ultra sensitive, soft, PC digital community.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
if my choices were only Sacramento, Phoenix and Vegas, Sacramento would easily win.
if my choice was vegas vs. just about any other US city with a major league sports team, i can tell ya vegas probably ain't winning.

not my cup of tea at all.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No need to explain. YOUR opinion is aligned with the majority, just as most people would find NYC, San Francisco and LA to be superior to Sacramento, too.

Just because a poster or two here has a love affair with one of America's most disappointing state capitals (and underwhelming cities in general), it doesn't negate the fact that Las Vegas is widely considered one of the most unique cities in the US (if not the world), and that it attracts millions more visitors annually than the aforementioned cow town.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Really, Vegas? Yikes, lol.
Yes I much enjoy Vegas. Amazing recreation, world class food, entertainment capital of the world, shows on the same level of about any other city, airport with tons of direct flights, little traffic, nice roads, hours from the ocean/Mexico/Sierra's, cheap and great food around the city, cheap housing, low taxes, world class shopping, and I love the desert.

I also love the six lane roads and though that isn't most people's cup of tea here.... if you are into the biking/walking everywhere thing using mass transit DTLV is making great progress on that end and it is only a matter of time before we see more proposals.

If you just aren't down with the vibe to each their own. I love it.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Yes I much enjoy Vegas. Amazing recreation, world class food, entertainment capital of the world, shows on the same level of about any other city, airport with tons of direct flights, little traffic, nice roads, hours from the ocean/Mexico/Sierra's, cheap and great food around the city, cheap housing, low taxes, world class shopping, and I love the desert.

I also love the six lane roads and though that isn't most people's cup of tea, if you are into the biking/walking everywhere thing using mass transit DTLV is making great progress on that end and it is only a matter of time before we see more proposals.

If you just aren't down with the vibe to each their own. I love it.
I like a three day weekend in Vegas as much as the next alcoholic, but as a place to call home, I would take Los Angeles (and just about any other city) any hour of the day over Vegas.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I like a three day weekend in Vegas as much as the next alcoholic, but as a place to call home, I would take Los Angeles (and just about any other city) any hour of the day over Vegas.
same.

although, now that i'm in my 40s, even the 3 day bachelor party bender in vegas holds little appeal for me these days.

and as a place to actually live?

day-to-day, everyday?

no fucking way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions