HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 6:34 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Arrow SAN ANTONIO | City and Metro Transportation Thread

Since the groundbreaking for Terminal B is tomorrow, I think its time we got a thread dedicated to SAIA.

http://www.ksat.com/news/16624328/detail.html

If you follow the link, theres also a kind of neat video of the two new terminals

New Airport Terminal Construction Slated To Begin

SAN ANTONIO -- Nearly 30 years since the San Antonio International Airport opened its latest terminal, construction workers are expected to break ground Tuesday on its newest.

With final funding approval coming from City Council last week, construction will begin to replace the original airport terminal, which has been active since World War II.

"We've got a lot of years out of it," airport spokesman David Hebert said. "It's been a great building, but it's definitely time to move on."

The first terminal is scheduled to open in 2010 to swap out the current Terminal Two that is expected to provide the same number of gates, but extra amenities for travelers. Terminal C is expected to open by 2012 and would add an expected 11 gates.

"We're still seeing more passengers than ever before," Hebert said. "Let's get two new terminals online, let's get a two-tiered roadway servicing all the terminals and let's get a long-term parking garage."

The additional gates are expected to be enough for at least 15 years, Hebert said, but if demand continues to grow, airport officials already have preliminary plans for Terminal D.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 7:07 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Good news. Bring on terminal D.

What would the total number of gates be after A-C are completed?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 8:05 PM

Well groundbreaking officially happened today!!!

http://www.ksat.com/travelgetaways/16633624/detail.html

I use the airport a decent amount of times per year and I am excited to see Terminal 2's days numbered. I had some friends fly in thru American Airlines once and their first impression of the airport wasn't so good but I was like Terminal 1 is nice. haha can't wait to see the finished product.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 8:55 PM

I think the Airport needs a name. "San Antonio International" is pretty boring.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Jun 17, 2008 at 9:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 9:10 PM

Took this pic with my phone so it' not that great. Enlarged it a bit.

2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 9:22 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
I think the Airport needs a name. "San Antonio International" is pretty boring.
I like it as is. At least you know where you are when you get there. If we ever have multiple airports, then we can distigiush them with names. Until then, I can do without the Cisneros/Jones/Hardberger International Airport...

Sky harbour/Will Rogers/ OR Tambo... Eh.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 9:23 PM

How about named after San Antonio River architect Robert Hugman. Robert Hugman San Antonio INT'L airport. Since the Riverwalk has played a major role in the progress of San Antonio.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 9:25 PM

The first time my now wife/then girlfriend flew into SAT from Kansas City was about a year ago at night, and after she spent a few days in the city I took her back to the airport during the day. Her plane was taking off out of terminal 2, and when I stopped the car at the drop off point, she looked around kind of confused and said "where's the terminal?" and I said, "that's the terminal", and she goes "that's it??" She seemed to think that I had somehow tricked her by driving to Mexico and dumping her off at an airport in some little dusty border town

In any case, I'm glad SA will finally have 2 modern terminals. I'd expect outsiders' opinions of the city to suddenly undergo a sea-change sometime in 2010

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 11:45 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Yea terminal 2 certainly does nothing for the cities image as a modern forward thinking city, its been the workhorse of the airport and it shows badly. Im really keeping my fingers crossed that they do the full 11 gates at terminal C. Itd be great if a discount carrier could start a mini hub at SAIA or even use C as a strictly international terminal.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 1:05 AM

I think the HEB/at&t/Mother's window tint san antonio international airport has a nice ring to it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 1:22 AM

Just please, please, please don't call it the "Howard E. Butt San Antonio Int'l Airport"! I've still never gotten over the fact that the public library in Kerrville is called "Butt-Holdsworth Memorial Library".

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
I like it as is. At least you know where you are when you get there. If we ever have multiple airports, then we can distigiush them with names. Until then, I can do without the Cisneros/Jones/Hardberger International Airport...

Sky harbour/Will Rogers/ OR Tambo... Eh.
With Austin close by, I doubt SA gets a second airport in our lifetime. As for a name, you could always put San Antonio in the front.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 2:15 AM

San Antonio already has two airports. They are currently renovating and expanding Stinson Field.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 2:17 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
I think the HEB/at&t/Mother's window tint san antonio international airport has a nice ring to it.

"fly into mothers airport and saaaaaaave!!"

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 2:23 AM
Meh

Just imagine if it was the Butt airport though. Pilots would be talking about "flying into Butt".

"The Butt Terminal"

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 2:39 AM
Squint Like Clint

Sounds like great news on this airport renovation/expansion, it's long overdue. On the Butt airport thing....anything Butt that!!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
San Antonio already has two airports. They are currently renovating and expanding Stinson Field.
Will it be a full blown airport like SA? I think not.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 4:22 AM

I am not quite sure what a full blown airport is, but Stinson Municipal Airport does have a long range plan to expand with SAT and the South side of San Antonio.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 4:23 AM

Stinson will function as a reliever airport, which I'd assume entails terminal improvements (which are in the pipeline iirc) and lengthening the runways, which I'm not sure about. But its pretty safe to say it will never become SA's version of Hobby or Love Field.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
I am not quite sure what a full blown airport is, but Stinson Municipal Airport does have a long range plan to expand with SAT and the South side of San Antonio.
An example of a full-blown airport would be SAT. Flights cross country and international. I doubt Stinson would become that, especially when SAT is more than enough for SA's metro for now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio