HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
sure, but i'm a good and decent man. ymmv
That may be, but it's not because you give 20 panhandlers money on a daily basis.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:25 PM

Yeah, I’m actually always surprised when I’m out of town by just how many people are homeless. The homeless populations are noticeably larger out west, southwest, and in Florida.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:33 PM

There's a few camps around the city for homeless people in Chicago but not even close to what I saw in the Bay. I do think that Chicago suffers from waves of transients/drug/heroin addicts that flock here since it's so cheap to score. Oftentimes you'll see the same ones in the Loop for months and then one day theyre gone replaced by a new wave. I dont really see too many chronic/permanent homeless people anymore in the Loop but definitely see these transients.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Good lord this is one of the most off putting things I've ever read on SSP.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Maybe other Eastern & Midwestern cities in 2019 are on par or worse than Chicago, but just sayin', Chicago 2019 had by far the most noticeably bad homeless problem that I've ever seen anywhere other than the North American West Coast (ie. worse than ~2012 New York, DC, Boston, etc).
this is the best resource i could find to give an apples-to-apples comparison of the homeless population across the US.

it's by state, not city, but given that most homeless people tend to gravitate toward cities, it gives a good enough proxy.

https://www.usich.gov/tools-for-action/map/

as can be seen in the map in the link, illinois (chicago) does not have an especially large homeless population compared to some of the big states (cities) on the coasts.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 18, 2019 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 8:09 PM

I simply make eye contact and say no. Treat them as regular people.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 9:51 PM

Maybe the best approach is to print up little pieces of paper and keep some in your pocket with all the resources for homeless in your area--phone numbers & addresses--food, shelter, mental health etc. Hand them the piece of paper instead or in addition to change. That might really help them. If someone really appears to be genuinely in need, I often will give some change. But if someone is aggressive & demanding, almost never. Politeness works. I also give money to the Salvation Army. They do a great job with the homeless.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 9:56 PM

As an experiment I may ask a panhandler for change before he/she asks me. It would be interesting to see what they say. Probably something like "do I look like Rockerfeller?"

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 6:41 AM

Deleted

Last edited by Sam Hill; Oct 19, 2019 at 2:12 PM. Reason: Read my post again this morning and realized how rude and negative it was.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
this is the best resource i could find to give an apples-to-apples comparison of the homeless population across the US.

it's by state, not city, but given that most homeless people tend to gravitate toward cities, it gives a good enough proxy.

https://www.usich.gov/tools-for-action/map/

as can be seen in the map in the link, illinois (chicago) does not have an especially large homeless population compared to some of the big states (cities) on the coasts.
This map is interesting. If it is to be believed, Colorado would have a larger homeless population than Illinois, and nearly the same homeless population as Pennsylvania, despite the fact that its total population is a puny fraction of either of those states. Something tells me this map isn't accurate.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 2:25 PM

I personally try walking as little as possible.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 2:41 PM

I'm hit and miss..Trust me, nobody starves in Ottawa so I seldom give out change. They also set up "kindnesss "meters throughout downtown, which are like parking meters, but the cash goes to programs and food for the homeless..If a pan handler is begging for change outside a Coffee shop, I sometimes buy them a coffee. Because I smoke, most times I flip them a cigarette, and they are more then happy with that.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 2:50 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's a bigger problem here that you might expect in a small city:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...lers-1.5313551

I just walk by with a smile, if they don't say anything.

If they ask for change, I say I only have my card. Most of the time it ends there.

If they follow up with something like, "The bakery takes cards." then I buy them a coffee or whatever because I respect the hustle lol.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
If they follow up with something like, "The bakery takes cards." then I buy them a coffee or whatever because I respect the hustle lol.
You would go broke within a few weeks if you lived in any big US city.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 12:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Maybe other Eastern & Midwestern cities in 2019 are on par or worse than Chicago, but just sayin', Chicago 2019 had by far the most noticeably bad homeless problem that I've ever seen anywhere other than the North American West Coast (ie. worse than ~2012 New York, DC, Boston, etc).
I disagree from my own anecdotal experience with Chicago. I encountered 1 homeless guy with a sign. 1 homeless man and he was absolutely non-confrontational or aggressive like is the case 'round here.

On a given day [work day] in SoCal, I'll probably see at least 2 dozen and directly interact with 2-6. You start to recognize the regular guys [they're 95% men and dogs]. It's amazing that humans can survive these conditions for so many years.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Bullshit. You have ZERO prejudices? Every single person who asks for money you deem them worthy?

So if I sat on a sidewalk with a MAGA hat on with a sign, you would give me money?

Yeah, you aren't that great of a person are ya lol

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 9:29 PM

I don't carry cash now so I would just be polite and say that and sorry.

I have gone through a fast food drive through and gotten food for people before if they said they were hungry-wanted money to get something to eat.

One big exception was when I was visiting NYC in late 89/early90. I would walk around late night after leaving a bar/when the bar closed all over lower Manhattan and I felt so bad seeing people sleeping out on the grates in freezing weather that I would wake them up and give them 5 or 10 dollars. I never had a problem doing this either- surprisingly every single person was nice. How I survived I will never know!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
I don't carry cash now so I would just be polite and say that and sorry.
Here is the thing I don't understand, why is it some homeless guys business if you carry cash or not? Why would you (not specifically you, but a general "you") say that to a stranger?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 1:37 PM

Old Indian saying: Give $10 away and $40 will come back to you in some form or another.

So it's arbitrary if you give your money to a drug addict or someone who genuinely needs the money.

What you're seeking is your "$40 return" on your investment!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Bullshit. You have ZERO prejudices? Every single person who asks for money you deem them worthy?

So if I sat on a sidewalk with a MAGA hat on with a sign, you would give me money?

Yeah, you aren't that great of a person are ya lol
triggered by giving money to panhandlers, yikes

might be time for a moment of self reflection

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions