HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 9:04 AM
Meh

Tourists on bikes take in West Side neighborhood’s life-affirming murals

I thought this was cool, since when I visit San Antonio, I turn into a two wheeled tourist.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ng_murals.html

Quote:
Tourists on bikes take in West Side neighborhood’s life-affirming murals

By Brian Chasnoff
- Express-News

On the West Side, there are walls on which life's ugly realities are transformed into works of art.

On Friday, the nonprofit San Anto Cultural Arts — for 16 years the driving force behind these transformations — hosted an inaugural bike tour of its murals, painted by artists and residents in vibrant, acrylic colors.

About 50 people, plus two teenagers who joined mid-tour, pedaled en masse through the streets of the inner city, prompting honks and waves and stopping to hear the stories behind the art, told with aplomb by Cruz Ortiz, a co-founder of SACA.

The organization has coordinated the creation of 37 murals, of which the tour highlighted 15.

“I don't think a lot of people in San Antonio know about the murals and understand that San Antonio is a real outdoor museum,” Ortiz, 37, said before leading the evening excursion. “I mean, it's intense.”

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 5:27 PM
James

That's really cool. It's kind of what I envision San Antonio becoming actually. A place for really cool public art. Where you can just hop on a bike... or car, or whatever, and just take in all of the art. All in due time.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 5:05 AM
Meh

Another biker article.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...e_to_road.html

Quote:
Cyclists raising profile as more riders take to road

By Colin McDonald
- Express-News

Some ride slowly — to smell the flowers, pick up empanadas or check out garage sales. Others ride just to go fast, their spinning wheels lopping off the roadside blooms.

Every day of the week, informally assembled packs of bicyclists in San Antonio take to the streets for group rides ranging from single file pace lines on the twisting roads of the Hill Country to more than 100 in a lose group who take several lanes of traffic downtown.

As these rides grow in popularity, drivers are forced to share the roads. Bicyclists are learning their rights come with responsibilities that are helped with a bit of civility.

The learning curve is not always smooth. Police say they try to be lenient. Bike advocates hope that the sheer numbers of riders aren't raising bicycling's profile at the expense of its credibility.
Quote:
Bazany has patrolled downtown San Antonio by bike for 19 years. In that time, he has seen what he describes as an 80 percent increase of bike riders, both on his commute into town and while he patrols.

“I think we are trying to live down that ‘fattest city in the world' thing,” he said.

Thou shall not indict

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio