HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 2:00 PM

Is the SHA actually moving into the “World Trade Centre” or are they just leasing a bit of space on the main floor? Doesn’t seem like their whole head office is moving in.

On another note, does anyone know what is going into the new building in between McDonalds and Dollarama in Stonebridge? Joke is that it’s a Dollar Tree/Family Dollar lol.

Also does anyone know what is being built on the corner of 33rd and Ave P next to the coop gas bar? There is now pedestrian protection up. Seems like a good spot for a Tim’s - none close by?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh953 View Post
Is the SHA actually moving into the “World Trade Centre” or are they just leasing a bit of space on the main floor? Doesn’t seem like their whole head office is moving in.

On another note, does anyone know what is going into the new building in between McDonalds and Dollarama in Stonebridge? Joke is that it’s a Dollar Tree/Family Dollar lol.

Also does anyone know what is being built on the corner of 33rd and Ave P next to the coop gas bar? There is now pedestrian protection up. Seems like a good spot for a Tim’s - none close by?
To my understanding they haven't asked many people to relocate, but this is changing based on retirements - so you will most likely see this building fill up over time. Maybe they'll fit up all 4 buildings to be built on the edge of town.

Here's the ad for that space by McDonalds/Dollarama. I go to that area daily and it's already maxed out in parking spaces where parking in front of buildings is getting a bit contentious among property owners - specifically the shops next to the two fitness studios. https://sl2-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/us...pdf?1576514672

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:34 PM

Page 4 of the brochure on the World Trade Center really upsets me. They both lie about travel times from downtown (also fail to mention the drive times for staff living in northern Saskatoon) and it also says that they can get to the airport in 11 minutes. This is a 30-45 minutes drive for Warmen/Martensville and Evergreen residents.
It's also easily a 20+ minute minimum drive from the airport. Why would they lying to their potential customers.. Why would they construct a building for <20% occupancy here, but not construct a similar building on the plot of land they own downtown that's sitting vacant.

This development is a punch to the face of both downtown Saskatoon and also Innovation Place since they claim it to be "The first privately developed office park".

https://sl2-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/us...pdf?1580420157

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 5:23 PM

There is now fencing and drilling rig up at the corner site by Market Mall (Louise St and Preston Ave). Just a small strip mall, but at least in that location it makes some sense...and much better then the field of weeds it was before.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 4:48 PM

Saskatoon population growth among highest in Canada

CTV News Saskatoon

Published Thursday, February 13, 2020 10:55AM CST
Last Updated Thursday, February 13, 2020 10:57AM CST

SASKATOON -- Saskatoon is one of the fastest growing places in Canada, according to a new study from Statistics Canada.

[........]

Read more:
https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskato...nada-1.4810382

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Saskatoon population growth among highest in Canada

Read more:
https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskato...nada-1.4810382[/SIZE][/FONT]
Below is the link to the actual StatsCan report noted in the story:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...00213a-eng.htm

"Chart 2" embedded in that website is interesting. The four major SK-AB cities have the highest percentage of population under 65 and those same 4, plus Lethbridge, have the highest percentage population under 14, as well.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 3:52 AM

That SHA space looks to be about 4500 SF. That’s only going to support 20-30 people max. Previous news had head office at something like 400 people. This is not the head office.

However, I do agree... this “commons” is the shits. We aren’t big enough to support multiple actives/lively “centres”, we gotta get this kind of development downtown. But parking is king in sask... it is a god given right to every saskatchewanian that they shall be able to park within 30ft of their office building door. Developers exploit this and make more profit on land that they acquired significantly cheaper, and is Also significantly cheaper to develop. Can’t blame the business men... it is business after all. As one poster said, they are playing to their audience, unfortunately I would venture to say that the pro-urban vibe in here is actually the unpopular opinion out there in Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 3:35 PM

With Nutrien vacating their old tower hopefully the SHA is just waiting for that to open up then. There’s just over 300 working in that office right now, and the space can easily be retrofitted to fit over 600 if turned into a more modern cubicle style layout that I’m guessing the SHA would more of hold.

Politically I think it looks kind of bad to move the “cost cutting” SHA into a new building, so getting a hella old building downtown long term may be what they’re waiting for. I’ll talk to some of my politician buddies and try and hear what the sentiment is on this!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 4:21 PM

Not aware of any lease activity at the River Quarry downtown, but that could also be an attractive option for SHA head office....if there ever is going to be such a "thing"???

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 4:31 PM
Registered Geek

Market Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
There is now fencing and drilling rig up at the corner site by Market Mall (Louise St and Preston Ave). Just a small strip mall, but at least in that location it makes some sense...and much better then the field of weeds it was before.
https://www.icrcommercial.com/sales-...zeIFTq7fITb35o

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 10:56 PM

Any idea on who has leased the two spots thus far?(Louise and Preston)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 3:22 PM

City looking to add 22,000 new residential units along major corridors

“I don’t think it matters what demographic you’re in, if you’ve got young kids and a family, traditionally you want the open space and the freedom … If they can afford it, I think the average family gravitates to the suburbs.”
- CEO of North Prairie Suburban Condo Developments/World Suburban Trade Center

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ajor-corridors

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 1:58 AM

Looks like there are a few public engagement events around town for the proposed community bike lanes. It’d be nice to get a few people scoping out these plans! I know I can go to the one next Monday for 3rd Ave N.

https://www.saskatoon.ca/engage/neig...keways-project

Last edited by skSK; Mar 4, 2020 at 1:59 AM. Reason: messed up the link

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 5:49 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by skSK View Post
Looks like there are a few public engagement events around town for the proposed community bike lanes. It’d be nice to get a few people scoping out these plans! I know I can go to the one next Monday for 3rd Ave N.

https://www.saskatoon.ca/engage/neig...keways-project
Good to see an approach to bike lanes with a scope broader than downtown. There are so many disjointed segments that don't connect to anywhere. Last summer I road from Rotary park to Lakeview, and the short segment of lanes on Victoria were nice but don't really assist with meaningful commuting.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 6:14 PM

With the shooting at Hudsons last night on 4th, a shooting in my condo on 5th this summer, and the hatchet attack on 2nd last week, it seems like crime is getting more pronounced. I was just having drinks with someone this week that claimed that the "business model" of The Lighthouse downtown is the worst way to improve the lives of individuals and that there should be multiple units like The Lighthouse assorted all over the city to both decrease crime, gang, and drug activity, but also assimilate them more into society versus teh current isolation style approach. Does anyone have any insight on this? I'd even love to work on a project to make some advocacy changes - if we can afford a new rink like Merlis Belisher, we certainly can find private funds for better programming that will result in a safer feeling downtown, resulting in more development. Curious to know people's thoughts on the issue as this has been a whacky year for crime downtown that looks to be on the uptick and not going to get any better with more population.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
With the shooting at Hudsons last night on 4th, a shooting in my condo on 5th this summer, and the hatchet attack on 2nd last week, it seems like crime is getting more pronounced. I was just having drinks with someone this week that claimed that the "business model" of The Lighthouse downtown is the worst way to improve the lives of individuals and that there should be multiple units like The Lighthouse assorted all over the city to both decrease crime, gang, and drug activity, but also assimilate them more into society versus teh current isolation style approach. Does anyone have any insight on this? I'd even love to work on a project to make some advocacy changes - if we can afford a new rink like Merlis Belisher, we certainly can find private funds for better programming that will result in a safer feeling downtown, resulting in more development. Curious to know people's thoughts on the issue as this has been a whacky year for crime downtown that looks to be on the uptick and not going to get any better with more population.
How dare you use the word assimilation, such an oppressive word. We should be supporting these people and what ever way THEY seem as fit to integrate into society. (sarcasm alert)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 7:29 PM
Peddling to progress

(Deleted)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Ummm not sure if I missed any details on who the shooter was, but NotToScale's comment signals some assumptions on the racial makeup. Seems like as dangerous jump to assume a homeless indigenous person was the shooter?
Haha there was no racial intention at all. It was referring to the homeless/addictions situation with the lighthouse and nothing about the shooter.

The homeless problem is an addictions/mental health problem, my sarcastic approach is directed at the coddling of these issues and allowing the individual to find their own way out of it. If you watch this documentary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw) you will see how things can get out of hand pretty quickly. The lighthouse has its purpose, and the effort is there i'm sure, but is it the right way of doing it? I don't know. Is it the right location and amalgamation of services as mentioned by roryn1, I don't know. Is there a better approach to the current model? But there should be a discussion because things have been getting worse over the years around that area.

Last edited by NotToScale; Mar 5, 2020 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 7:49 PM
Peddling to progress

Well would you need to assimilate or "integrate" a caucasian into society? It looks like the shooter was not homeless or a new comer to Saskatoon. From what I can see on Facebook he grew up here and went to a Saskatoon high school.

On a side note, assimilation is not the correct goal for anyone who doesn't look like yourself. Integration maybe, but assimilation comes from a place of ethnocentrism.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 8:10 PM

Eek forget I said that word. I think that most critics would argue for the fact that one big massive homeless shelter does not solve the problems of a little city, and that multiple shelters and services across the city well connected is of more benefit. Grouping people together in one place is not working.

https://map.saskatoonpolice.ca/

Here's a map of the most crimes occuring in the last year (Feb19-Feb20). The Lighthouse, and the Library.

I really hope this upcoming provincial budget has funding for a new smaller lighthouse for riskier offenders next to the police station. It won't, but I hope.

Based on this map, I hope the people that work at the library also see the need for the lighthouse and the library to be connected as it is a place to solve social issues, but also that it NEEDS to go next to the police station. The loss of our police station in the core downtown has brought a lot more crime to downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan