HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 9:14 PM

I noticed in Winnipeg Square the former McDonalds location (next to Starbucks) has finally been leased. Does anyone know what is taking over that rather large location?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:46 PM

The recently closed Athletes World and Laura locations on the second level of Portage Place now have leased signs up. Good news I guess.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 1:52 PM

Burried in the WFP article about the Marshalls store in Polo North opening there is reference to Mark's Work Warehouse and and a retail outlet for Western Financial also occupying the main floor. The same article also states that Bed, Bath and Beyond has been rumored by industry sources to be the final, still unamed, tenant.

source

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Burried in the WFP article about the Marshalls store in Polo North opening there is reference to Mark's Work Warehouse and and a retail outlet for Western Financial also occupying the main floor. The same article also states that Bed, Bath and Beyond has been rumored by industry sources to be the final, still unamed, tenant.

source
Weird the article refers to it as Mark's Work Warehouse. I thought they had rebranded chainwide to simple Mark's.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Weird the article refers to it as Mark's Work Warehouse. I thought they had rebranded chainwide to simple Mark's.
This is a city where you occasionally still hear people talking about ordering a bucket of "Champs chicken" a good 25 years after that name ceased being used in connection with KFC. It takes a while for these name changes to register with the entire population...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This is a city where you occasionally still hear people talking about ordering a bucket of "Champs chicken" a good 25 years after that name ceased being used in connection with KFC. It takes a while for these name changes to register with the entire population...
Is it true that WoolWorths is changing it's name to Woolco and maybe even WalMart?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 8:45 PM

Grand opening of Neechi Food is set for March 19th though by the looks of it when I drove by the other day, it looks like its already had a soft opening.

Anyone have a chance to check it out yet?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 9:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

This exactly is no different in Alberta. Champs is still a very popular term out here. There was even one old school KFC with the old school restaurant design and the turning bucket sign that said Champs on it.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 10:46 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Haven't been near a KFC in years, no need to when we have Chicken Chef.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 11:20 PM
Heart of the Continent

You mean, no need to when you have Chester Chicken

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 11:39 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
You mean, no need to when you have Chester Chicken
You're not serious are you?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 11:42 PM
Heart of the Continent

Chester hot and spicy chicken wings are probably the single best wings ever. The rest, I couldn't care less about.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 11:51 PM
I am a typical

When I went to Winnipeg in September I went to the Chester Fried in Portage Place and they didn't have any chicken. I felt so... used... I got to have potato wedges though. We used to walk up the highway near where I grew up to get them when I was a kid.

Thunder Bay's last Chester Fried Chicken outlet closed last year, it was at a truck stop about an hour east of town. All the oldies here call KFC "Dinty's".

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 11:56 PM
Heart of the Continent

The 7/11 in Dauphin has Chester Chicken...about once a month, about every third trip there, I make sure to get some wings.

Last edited by jmt18325; Mar 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 1:10 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The KFC in Dauphin has Chester Chicken...about once a month, about every third trip there, I make sure to get some wings.
The KFC has Chester Chicken? Does the McDonald's there have Whopper's too? Cross marketing....i like it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 2:10 PM
Heart of the Continent

Oops, no I was thinking too fast - 7/11

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 2:15 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Sorry I took the thread off track. I blame my stomach.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 2:39 PM

Construction has started again at the Unicity site just north of Staples. This is likely the Original Joe's location that had applied for zoning changes.

In the same development, Sports Mart is just about done with their clearance sale. As they are part of the same retail group as Sportscheck, the previously reported zoning likely has to do with renovations to the store to convert between brands.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 3:03 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Construction has started again at the Unicity site just north of Staples. This is likely the Original Joe's location that had applied for zoning changes.

In the same development, Sports Mart is just about done with their clearance sale. As they are part of the same retail group as Sportscheck, the previously reported zoning likely has to do with renovations to the store to convert between brands.
The Unicity projects are Original Joe's restaurant and the SportMart is becoming a Dollar Tree.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 3:33 PM
What could go wrong?

Fatburger and Structube in Seasons of Tuxedo confirmed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan