HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Anyone have info on "The Parker 60614" project on Ashland south of Diversey? I drove by yesterday and it looked like foundation had been poured, but I didn't see much other sign of life... I checked google streetview and it is indeed new, it was just an overgrown lot at this time last year:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9313...7i16384!8i8192

Project was reportedly stalled in 2017:
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/5/9/...o-project-dead

This ones been an empty lot since the building there was demo'd in 2015...
I'm not actually convinced it's dead:

1) There were 2 permits issued for new construction on May 10, 2019 - both 6 flat buildings. 2725 and 2731 N Ashland.

2) There are pending new construction permits for 2711, 2717, 2721, and 2737 where the dates on it are all 2019 - each of them are 6 flat buildings. Doing the math, that's 24 units plus the 12 above - 36 total. Maybe not as many as the original project, but still not a small project at 6 total buildings. By the way, 36 was the pre-approved amount of units which means maybe they didn't get zoning approval or something and originally didn't want to do it, but now they're taking it up with the original amount approved for the site.

3) The owner is "L 4 Dev LLC" which traces back to C3. C3 is listed in that Curbed article. The previous owner back in 2015 was under a different LLC name, but it was C3. The project is still listed on C3's website. Chicago Development Partners was also on some of this - their website also has this project.

P.S. If you go to my new construction permit map in my signature, you'll see those 2 permits that were issued in May on the map.

Last edited by marothisu; Aug 22, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:21 PM

905 W Fulton

Aug 16

Chicago | 905 W Fulton by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

re-using the old hangers.

Steel needs fireproofing ( wood does not )

Would a bit of limestone or terracotta added that much to the price ?
Commercial brutalism ?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:34 PM

930 W FultonMarket

Aug 6

A little detail goes a long way.
Chicago | 930 W FultonMarket by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:57 PM

1001 W Fulton

Aug 17

Location Location Location
Chicago | 1001 W Fulton by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 2:00 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Wow, this is my first time seeing this, I would presume this is one of the main entrances? It beckons indeed.....
Yea, that looks really stunning. If photos tell the story it looks as if the Sears rehab is surpassing expectations in its execution.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'm not actually convinced it's dead:

1) There were 2 permits issued for new construction on May 10, 2019 - both 6 flat buildings. 2725 and 2731 N Ashland.

2) There are pending new construction permits for 2711, 2717, 2721, and 2737 where the dates on it are all 2019 - each of them are 6 flat buildings. Doing the math, that's 24 units plus the 12 above - 36 total. Maybe not as many as the original project, but still not a small project at 6 total buildings. By the way, 36 was the pre-approved amount of units which means maybe they didn't get zoning approval or something and originally didn't want to do it, but now they're taking it up with the original amount approved for the site.

3) The owner is "L 4 Dev LLC" which traces back to C3. C3 is listed in that Curbed article. The previous owner back in 2015 was under a different LLC name, but it was C3. The project is still listed on C3's website. Chicago Development Partners was also on some of this - their website also has this project.
awesome info, thanks!

Quote:
P.S. If you go to my new construction permit map in my signature, you'll see those 2 permits that were issued in May on the map.
might as well bookmark this!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 2:34 PM

I don't recall seeing this here, but the new building at 957 W. Grace just landed permits on 8/14/19. 40 Units with BASEMENT PARKING!!! Not a stunner, but great infill as it replaces a one-story commercial building between Addison/Sheridan Red Line Stations.

https://www.chicagocityscape.com/documents.php?file=684

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Project to rehab the Hollander warehouse on Milwaukee Ave in Logan Square and and what appears to be new construction in a mixed use project for offices and retail. I don’t have premium access so I can’t read this article:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/08...building-site/
I do! Some highlights:
  • The warehouse will be rehabbed, and the 1 story annex (most recently Dos De Oro) will be knocked down and replaced with a new building about the same size as the warehouse
  • Program will be boutique office, retail, and restaurants (including potentially a rooftop restaurant)
  • Developers dropped plans to include residential as well because there has been so much apartment development in the area already
  • They already have an unnamed "lifestyle company" as an anchor tenant, that will apparently fill most or all of the first 4 floors

There's more in the article for subscribers, including some history on Hollander the company.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:35 PM

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Except that it doesn't. Fenestration is more than the size of the openings.

You've got a window that's two-thirds bricked in, as if that fools anyone, and another on the end that's only a half-window. In a cantilevered overhang. And they're all huge sheets of plate glass rather than double-hung windows with divided lights.

I didn't realize "better than a parking lot" was now the test for whether a new building is judged appropriate in a landmark district.
Most enlightened review boards of new construction in historic districts worldwide understand that to really preserve and respect a historic district the last thing you want to do with new infill design is replicate it. Respecting the materials, texture, and scale - yes. Actually making your new building look just like the historic context - definitely no. Doing that actually diminishes the actual historic value of the district...

(As an example "Hey honey, look at that 2-story pizza place... do you think that was just a very small old printing company?")

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 12:12 AM

Roosevelt Square Community Center was issued a new construction permit for the vacant lot at 13th & Blue Island (just south of Roosevelt - right next to Fosco Park). Architect is Juan Moreno. I believe this is for SOS Children's Villages Illinois. Looks like there's a community garden there already. No idea what would happen to that

Currently:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8650...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.sosillinois.org/roosevel...ect-announced/

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
I don't recall seeing this here, but the new building at 957 W. Grace just landed permits on 8/14/19. 40 Units with BASEMENT PARKING!!! Not a stunner, but great infill as it replaces a one-story commercial building between Addison/Sheridan Red Line Stations.

https://www.chicagocityscape.com/documents.php?file=684

FYI the official address on the permits is 3763 N Sheffield - good to know it goes by another address. The 1 story building was the former Jewish Council for Youth Services building.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 3:46 AM

Navy Pier hotel

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 1:09 PM

If you think about it, that's the first commercial building to go up East of LSD since LPT... Wonder how they got away with that? Because it's an expansion of the existing pier?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 1:44 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
If you think about it, that's the first commercial building to go up East of LSD since LPT... Wonder how they got away with that? Because it's an expansion of the existing pier?
I would imagine it has something to do with the fact that Navy Pier is the property of and under the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority which is a separate entity from the City of Chicago and thus gets special exceptions, yada yada yada--I'm sure Mr. Downtown will tell us the complete answer...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 5:09 PM
Urbane observer

I'm not sure what's being asked. Nothing prohibits buildings east of Lake Shore Drive; it's just that the Plan Commission has to approve. So they get out the big blue rubber stamp for "Lakefront Protection Ordinance Considered" at the same time they use the red rubber stamp meaning "Mayor's Office Told Us to Vote Yes."

Now a more interesting question is whether a hotel is a valid use for Public Trust land. Exhibitions and fairs were ruled to be a valid use in the 1958 decision permitting McCormick Place. Is a hotel merely an extension of that? Alas, no one filed a lawsuit to find out.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 5:54 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Alas, no one filed a lawsuit to find out.
Navy Pier already exists as a zone of (crony) capitalism on our lakefront. None of the watchdog groups really care about a change of use within Navy Pier's confines, and it's 1/2 mile from the nearest resident who might object.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 12:07 AM

Cool

Site prep and demo underway at Triangle Square (still on my list for all time best development name).

Anyone know how Belgravia's sales are proceeding here? Hope this is close to starting. It's one of those parcels that will immediately connect the urban fabric of multiple neighborhoods...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 12:17 AM

This one full size because this rehab is so crisp...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 1:39 AM
BANNED

Louieeee! Way to come through with the Cook County update! What was once a bit of an eyesore now looks gorgeous

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development