HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 6:31 PM

It was probably structural fill, which is used at the recommendation of a goetechnical engineer when the native soil is too weak to support the structure. The plants in the winter garden will probably grow in planters that are constructed much later in the schedule.

Oh, and cool photos: please keep posting.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
It was probably structural fill, which is used at the recommendation of a goetechnical engineer when the native soil is too weak to support the structure. The plants in the winter garden will probably grow in planters that are constructed much later in the schedule.

Oh, and cool photos: please keep posting.
Thanks Mac for the compliment..

I don't quite understand what you meant by structural fill.. The plan shows meeting rooms, bathrooms, etc in that part of the basement. Do you mean that that fill will stay where they placed it or will it be shoveled into place (southwestern corner) later.

I see how much easier it was to load the fill at that stage of construction, but it almost looks "permanent" and I saw no plumbing being installed for the toilets.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 12:03 AM

What I mean is that the soil probably has nothing to do with the winter garden, and is likely being used to support the structure of the building.

Most buildings don't rest on the bedrock; their weight is at least partially born by the soil. For a lightweight building such as single family house the soil in most parts of the city is strong enough to bear the entire weight of the building. For heavier buildings, or in areas of the city with soils known to be poor, the city will require a licensed geotechnical engineer to provide a soils report, which provides guidance to the project's structural engineer. In the report there will be recommendations about whether the existing soils should be used; or not. In an area like the Pearl—a former swamp with a long industrial past—I wouldn't be surprised if poor soils were encountered. If so, they might have over excavated, and then replaced the existing soil with "structural fill" (the new soil) to support a mat foundation at the basement level.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 1:45 AM

Quote:
What I mean is that the soil probably has nothing to do with the winter garden, and is likely being used to support the structure of the building.

Most buildings don't rest on the bedrock; their weight is at least partially born by the soil. For a lightweight building such as single family house the soil in most parts of the city is strong enough to bear the entire weight of the building. For heavier buildings, or in areas of the city with soils known to be poor, the city will require a licensed geotechnical engineer to provide a soils report, which provides guidance to the project's structural engineer. In the report there will be recommendations about whether the existing soils should be used; or not. In an area like the Pearl—a former swamp with a long industrial past—I wouldn't be surprised if poor soils were encountered. If so, they might have over excavated, and then replaced the existing soil with "structural fill" (the new soil) to support a mat foundation at the basement level.

I thought that's what you meant and that's what confused me..
because above the round grey pilings you see here:

is an unreinforced mat on gravel; then they laid gravel on top of that and then laid a reinforced mat which included the rebar for the column footings. It is like a layer cake of mats in there.

So this fill is actually on top of all that and only on about a third on the site. In this photo, it filled a depression created during the formation of the reinforced mat.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 1:22 AM

So I have a couple of questions that I hope you more knowledgable guys can answer..

First, notice how the rebar is these columns lean from front to back. I assume this is an industry standard way of transferring a load.?

The bearing wall is to the right (east) of the base of each column.

Second question:

See these grey lines? Are these electrical conduits?

And notice how they terminate... no junction boxes.. they will just appear as openings in the ceiling of the slab. Is this correct???? Isn't that odd?

Moving along.. as of 1/24/17

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyr View Post
Second question:

See these grey lines? Are these electrical conduits?

And notice how they terminate... no junction boxes.. they will just appear as openings in the ceiling of the slab. Is this correct???? Isn't that odd?

I'm not quite sure on the first one, but these are the post tension cables that will be set in the slab. When they're tensioned they essentially become beams embedded in the slab.

https://www.concretenetwork.com/post...on/basics.html

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 2:55 AM

More photos:

January 26, 2017

2nd floor started using junction boxes

2/17/17

2/21/17

3/6/17

3/10/17

I find it curious that the fifth floor slab will have a notch on the northern side... just big enough for a port-a-potty ;-)

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 3:43 AM

Great pics. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Great pics. Thanks for posting.
Thank you Mac...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 12:35 AM

3/16/17

OOPS! While pouring fifth floor slab, they had to cut out some fresh concrete to fix something...

Does anyone know what these little blue cylinders are for??? I know the yellow tubes are for pipes that will penetrate the slab, but the blue things will create a depression in the ceiling slab; they don't extend all the way through the slab.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 12:46 AM

Check out this construction hoist !!

4/6/17

Facade installation beginning

Notches for Port-a-potties seen earlier :-)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyr View Post
3/16/17

Does anyone know what these little blue cylinders are for??? I know the yellow tubes are for pipes that will penetrate the slab, but the blue things will create a depression in the ceiling slab; they don't extend all the way through the slab.
The blue things are threaded to hold a threaded rod that can be screwed in later. These can be to support pipes hanging below, or sometimes temporary fall protection.

In a Post Tensioned slab it is difficult to fasten anything deeper than 3/4" into the slab, so larger mounts are prepared in advance.

https://www.isatsb.com/blue-banger-hanger-pip.php

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
The blue things are threaded to hold a threaded rod that can be screwed in later. These can be to support pipes hanging below, or sometimes temporary fall protection.

In a Post Tensioned slab it is difficult to fasten anything deeper than 3/4" into the slab, so larger mounts are prepared in advance.

https://www.isatsb.com/blue-banger-hanger-pip.php
Makes perfect sense.. thanks for solving that mystery for me!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 7:18 AM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 4:04 AM

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the photos MAC.
I've been derelict in uploading my photos so let's get caught up...

Apr 28

Love these "super trowels"... looks like go-karts..wish I could ride one..

May 3

May 26

Time to use the extension hose...

June 6

Anyone know the purpose of this dish he's looking at??? There is a wire connected to it.

June 13

June 14

You can see the framing for the rooms in place..

June 16

Pouring the roof slab..

June 20

[/url]

June 21

Morning shot showing tinted of windows and room framing

[/url]

June 24

Closeup of framing for fitness room and roof deck

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 12:58 PM

I used to live at Honeyman Lofts.

This new building really changes that intersection

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:06 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
I used to live at Honeyman Lofts.

This new building really changes that intersection
Just wait until the post office site is redeveloped. That part of downtown will be unrecognizable (and hooray for the change!).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 6:27 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Just wait until the post office site is redeveloped. That part of downtown will be unrecognizable (and hooray for the change!).
Yeah, that will be about as drastic of a change as we have seen with North Pearl redeveloping.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I love living a the Elizabeth and I know change is inevitable, but I'm already missing my view of the street trees and that cute little restaurant at Honeyman.

And from what I've seen of the preliminary renderings of the PO redevelopment, I may lose my view of Union Station's tower - which is the main reason I chose my unit. I'm hoping they don't place a high-rise on the eastern edge of the site. I know --- WAAAAAH

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland