HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 7:36 PM

yes, as of last week it was still fenced up. From what I can tell it's almost done, but yea, an impossibly long fit out time here.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 5:28 PM

Another liquor licence application here? Perhaps the first one failed because they weren't far enough along?

https://twitter.com/Ont_AGCO/status/...NfmVPlntA&s=19

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 1:23 AM

I walked by here a couple of weeks ago and the door were open. They still have a lot of work to do.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 4:41 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
I walked by here a couple of weeks ago and the door were open. They still have a lot of work to do.
I have no idea why this is taking them so long...

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I have no idea why this is taking them so long...
Labour shortages? Maybe that old building is full of surprises, or perhaps trying to do this the right way rather than cutting corners?

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 1:55 PM

It's because whoever bought the building is doing most of the work themselves. I've seen them working. There's never more than 2 or 3 guys working on it at a time. Renovating to the brickwork a 3 storey building is not a 2 man job. It's why it's been 4 or 5 years.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 11:37 PM

Man that is deep pocket territory. 5 years of 0 revenue is huge, with nothing but expenses and capital spend. Hope they can make it through to the opening.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:55 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Hope they can make it through to the opening.
And that the result reflects good craftsmanship.

Old Posted Today, 3:44 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
It's because whoever bought the building is doing most of the work themselves. I've seen them working. There's never more than 2 or 3 guys working on it at a time. Renovating to the brickwork a 3 storey building is not a 2 man job. It's why it's been 4 or 5 years.
I wish they'd fix the EXTERIOR brickwork as well. The 2-3 floor brick is all crumbling, fading, and the original pediments were all ripped off - this building would have originally looked very similar to the treble hall - it even had the same Corinthian columns with gold accents at the top - but most had crumbled away so they removed whatever was left on them for this build. I had found an original image of it back in the day and yeah the pediments were much fancier - this building deserves so much more.

You can see it here:

I mean look at how much fancier that looks.

It's hard to tell if the pillars were exposed back then though due to the black of the first floor. I believe htey were though, at least on either side of the main diagonal entrance - looks like they may have been painted white at the time..

Vs now:

As you can see the second story windows were originally much longer - those white bases across were originally not there which is why that area looks so weird. The third floor pediment bases appear to be the only original part left, well aside from the cornice of course, thank god they repaired that beforehand. The cornice would have originally been cream or white and this building would have originally been a lot brighter and grand looking. We're lucky this and the treble hall still exist and survived the "great de-pedimenting" that went on on a lot of other downtown buildings.

But yeah, those pediments are an abomination - it is my dream to one day see them rebuilt and restored.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton