HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 5:54 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Unless you're recommending the RCMP stake out every single South Asian community in the Lower Mainland, I'm not exactly sure what solution you're trying to imply by pointing out the race of the offenders.
Targeting hotspots with educational campaigns for both parents and teens that may get caught up in it. Police liaison officers at schools, which was effective in Vancouver during the late 90's and 2000's. Sadly, Vancouver has completely killed the program, so I doubt Surrey really bolsters up any enforcement or presence at schools.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4273011/s...teen-killings/

There have been calls for more action from all levels of government in the past which have been left unanswered.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
There have been calls for more action from all levels of government in the past which have been left unanswered.
I'm not disagreeing here, but I'm still not sure what this has to do with their race. Remember your original line was:

Quote:
I would say political correctness and the fear of being labeled racist due to pointing fingers at any group of people that may be involved.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 6:42 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
I'm not disagreeing here, but I'm still not sure what this has to do with their race. Remember your original line was:
Considering recent moves by governments to abandon police presence in schools in New Westminster and Vancouver out of fears of being discriminatory (tied with the recent political climate in the USA). Yes, the optics of PR are driving public policies right now.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Considering recent moves by governments to abandon police presence in schools in New Westminster and Vancouver out of fears of being discriminatory (tied with the recent political climate in the USA). Yes, the optics of PR are driving public policies right now.
So what does this have to do with race? You're free to point fingers at the South Asian community if you want, but Surrey isn't even planning on ending it's school liaisons so I'm not sure what solution you're trying to propose for the violence.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 6:57 PM

Quote:
It is well known this this has evolved into a desi gang affair
I had to look up "desi" on the interwebs.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 8:21 AM

Moved from the Roads thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
To 2.1 tonnes. You're right, we can lead by example. And we certainly can't criticise China or the US energy use if we don't address our own 16 tonne per capita emissions.

And as this isn't vaguely on topic, I'm sure the conversation should continue in a more appropriate thread.
Cool. So now the protestors want 88% electrification of a province whose power grid can't handle 88% unless we build more hydro, nuclear or natural gas... which they don't want either... or they'll keep sitting in traffic.

And it turns out they actually want 100%. In four and a half years. Nothing less. While Horgan continues to clear-cut Vancouver Island. Their hearts are in the right place, but their heads definitely aren't.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Moved from the Roads thread.

Cool. So now the protestors want 88% electrification of a province whose power grid can't handle 88% unless we build more hydro, nuclear or natural gas... which they don't want either... or they'll keep sitting in traffic.

And it turns out they actually want 100%. In four and a half years. Nothing less. While Horgan continues to clear-cut Vancouver Island. Their hearts are in the right place, but their heads definitely aren't.
Thanks for moving the conversation. XR started in the UK, and the mass protests there have been far bigger, and more disruptive than anything we've seen here. The Wikipedia entry for the organisation seems to be a pretty comprehensive record of their actions, the consequences, and how realistic their goals might be. As we know, none of this is really new here - in the most recent past it's been about old growth logging or pipelines carrying oil.

While the evidence of the climate crisis continues to mount, and the actions (rather than the words) of governments fail to do enough to address that crisis, we should probably expect to see more disruptive protests. It's not like there isn't a long history of action here - where was Greenpeace founded?

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 7:28 PM

Heh, I'd actually respect them more if they got themselves a navy; hogging a road all day and bragging about it on Twitter takes about as much effort or dedication as the Covid deniers.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 7:59 PM

I mean when you say it's the end of the world but your form of action is to "inconvenience" people for a few days doesn't seem to add up. I mean look at XR's talking notes.. seems more cultural revolution disguised as Greenpeace.

Quote:
"We have a shared vision of change—creating a world that is fit for generations to come.
We set our mission on what is necessary—mobilising 3.5% of the population to achieve system change by using ideas such as "momentum-driven organising" to achieve this.
We need a regenerative culture—creating a culture that is healthy, resilient, and adaptable.
We openly challenge ourselves and this toxic system, leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
We value reflecting and learning, following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action (learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences).
We welcome everyone and every part of everyone—working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
We actively mitigate for power—breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation.
We avoid blaming and shaming—we live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
We are a non-violent network using non-violent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
We are based on autonomy and decentralisation—we collectively create the structures we need to challenge power. Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of Extinction Rebellion."

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:35 AM

Former BC Liberal cabinet minister Kevin Falcon is throwing is hat into the ring for BC Liberal leader:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.city...eadership/amp/

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:59 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

the next premier of BC ..... Kevin Falcon!

can I get a ..... Go Falco Go!??!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.
Apparently beong a property developer was too boring?

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Apparently beong a property developer was too boring?
That's exactly what we need, a property developer.

This just reinforces negative perceptions of the Liberals, so I hope he wins.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post

Apparently he hopes to lead a differently named party: "I believe that our renewal demands a new party name, one that will be decided upon in consultation with our own membership".

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Apparently he hopes to lead a differently named party: "I believe that our renewal demands a new party name, one that will be decided upon in consultation with our own membership".
Tough go for Liberals.

They have problems similar to those of the GOP down south.

Their base is pretty right leaning, left over Bible belt folks. That's a tough core to appease while trying to expand the electorate.

The supreme irony; Liberal polices drove the urban folks out further and further spreading a more liberal mindset around the province and rendering them unelectable in the process.

Something poetic about that self own.

What can the Liberals, or whatever they call themselves, offer that the NDP doesn't?

NDP has been a largely non controversial government, and the economy most certainly hasn't come off the rails, COVID aside.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post

Can't be any worse than what other politicians and government hacks do after they lose an election.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
the next premier of BC ..... Kevin Falcon!

I'd sooner slit my own throat

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 10:22 PM

Sorry, not sure where else to put this:

Quote:
BC Hydro reports new record for peak hourly demand amid heatwave

Link

British Columbia's hydro and power authority says it logged a new record for peak hourly demand during the summer on Saturday night as residents try to keep cool during a massive heat wave.

BC Hydro issued a statement saying preliminary analysis found demand hit 7,972 megawatts, up from the previous record of 7,897 set in August last year.

It says the peak hourly demand is usually recorded on weekdays when customers follow a more routine schedule, which makes Saturday's record even more striking.

The Crown utility says it expects demand to increase further as temperatures climb across the province, and predicts last night's record could be broken Monday.
It's also assuring customers that BC Hydro's system can meet the additional demand and has taken steps to help keep people safe, such as cancelling the majority of planned outages and suspending disconnections for non-payment.
For the record, BC Hydro's nameplate is ~11,000 MW. Still, it sounds like time to stop arguing about Site C and start preparing for Sites D, E, F and G.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Sorry, not sure where else to put this:

For the record, BC Hydro's nameplate is ~11,000 MW. Still, it sounds like time to stop arguing about Site C and start preparing for Sites D, E, F and G.
Aren't there no future hydro generation projects after Site C?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics