HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 7:03 PM

Construction of 37th St is well underway:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 7:38 PM

Nice!

Yeah, K-8 school has always been apart of the plan.

If you look at the site plan here:

The gray (marked future Drexel University) m-shaped building in the middle of the site plan is the school. The gray building just south of that is a future Drexel dorm.

One uCity Square and 3700 Lancaster are clearly marked. Those will be the next office and residential developments in the project. uCity square is also marked, which will be the center plaza/park for the development.

The yellow marked building just south of uCity Square will be a hotel. The gray marked building along 38th Street will be a future Drexel building. The three yellow marked buildings along 38th Street will be the final 3 office buildings for uCity Square.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 7:12 PM

37th ST

The present 37th St. construction is only taking place north of Market St. one block to Filbert St. I had hoped, based on absolutely nothing, that they would have been extending it north to tie into where it presently stops, just south of Lancaster Ave. This one block extension looks like it will include some kind of public plaza, which meant be the reason for doing this work now, since building the street by itself doesn't make much sense.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 2:00 PM

Gene therapy innovators Amicus Therapeutics to join University City’s surging biotech sector

https://www.philly.com/news/amicus-g...-20190226.html

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
Gene therapy innovators Amicus Therapeutics to join University City’s surging biotech sector

https://www.philly.com/news/amicus-g...-20190226.html
nice! another biotech firm. I think the spark article from the other day mentioned some coming wave...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 3:42 PM

So 3675 should be just about fully leased at this point. Hopefully that means they'll start on One UCity Square sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 4:45 PM

Agreed. When the hell is One uCity Square starting now?

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 1:50 PM

New street grid:

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 2:36 PM

This is (a terrible) picture of the view from my dorm. Alas, I move out in a month so I won't be able to give construction updates.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 9:39 PM

Not that it effects very much of anything, but the new 37th St. north from Market is taking forever. At the present pace it'll be done by the end of the year! The sidewalk along Market St. seems to be open on most days, but half of the travel lanes of Market still are closed-----for no apparent reason. Typical lax City oversight. I assume the traffic lights and crosswalks at 37th. will more to this new intersection, but so far theres been no work done toward that end.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 5:08 PM

From the Lowrise thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by el don View Post
K-8 Schools and New Academic Building for College of Nursing
and Health Professions to rise on Drexel Campus

Dear Members of the Drexel Community:
A transformational development will rise on the Drexel campus over the next several years, providing a new home for two high-performing and innovative West Philadelphia public schools, and bringing the College of Nursing and Health Professions from Center City to University City.

I'm pleased to announce that Drexel has entered into an agreement with developer Wexford Science & Technology, LLC for the design and construction of two buildings on the former University City High School site, on the western end of the University City campus at 36th and Filbert streets, with financing provided by Ventas, Inc. These two projects will bring more dynamism to our campus and further connect us with our neighboring community.

Up first: the design and construction of a $38 million home for the Powel Elementary School and the Science Leadership Academy Middle School. The school project is nearly fully funded through a combination of private and public funding secured by Drexel, aided by generous contributions from the Lenfest Foundation and now, Wexford and Ventas. The final funds needed to start the project will be sought from other public sources.

Once all the funding is in hand, construction on the K-8 facility is expected to begin later this year and be completed in time for the 2020-2021 school year. The School District of Philadelphia will lease the building from Drexel and the facility will house both the Powel School, currently at 36th Street and Powelton Avenue, and the Science Leadership Academy Middle School, which opened in 2016 at Drexel's Dornsife Center for Neighborhood Partnerships and recently moved into space at 3600 Market Street.
The second project is an academic building to house Drexel's College of Nursing and Health Professions, which will relocate from Center City under a long-term lease agreement with Wexford. Under the terms, Wexford will finance, develop, and construct the building for occupancy in 2022.

The College of Nursing and Health Professions is currently located at Three Parkway and two other buildings in Center City. Its move to University City will enable the College to consolidate academic and research programs, and allow its students, faculty and professional staff to have easier access to the full resources of the University, including the libraries, fitness center, theaters, athletic fields, student organizations, dining facilities and more. In addition to providing state-of-the-art academic facilities, the new building also will facilitate greater collaboration between the College and Drexel's other colleges and schools.

The two projects will further our roots as an anchor institution in West Philadelphia that is focused on both innovation and inclusion. I hope you share my excitement in looking ahead to groundbreaking ceremonies for these two pivotal additions to our campus community.
Sincerely,
John Fry
President

This message was sent to Drexel Official Mail. See more information here.
This message to Drexel Official Mail was approved under the authority of
John Fry, President.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 8:56 PM

These are the two low/midrises that Fry is talking about. I assume the rest of the project will also be happening independently?

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 12:46 PM

That first building next to the school is actually a high rise. 15 floors of so I think.

You can partially see the school and that building in the VR panorama for uCity Square here:
https://applink.yulio.com/yoRVSCB8cv

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:50 PM

So does that new Drexel Nursing building get their own link or will it be followed here?

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 8:42 PM

I'm OK with a new thread for it.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 8:57 PM

Drexel nursing and health school to move from Center City to new tower planned at former University City High site

https://www.philly.com/real-estate/c...-20190516.html

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:35 AM

Should we have a new thread though? This only counts as a midrise.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:37 AM

I count 12 floors, which would qualify it for its own thread.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 3:50 AM

Some recent shots of the new 37th street.

Last edited by cuykjsmm; May 23, 2019 at 3:51 AM. Reason: fixed img links

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 11:14 AM

This may already be the general consensus, but I really think this project is going to transform the whole area directly north of it (Mantua, Powelton Village).

If I had the means I'd definitely buy a house up there - the connectivity to 30th Street Station and Center City via the trolley is a huge plus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals