HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 11:53 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SA: St. Benedict Mixed-Use Update - Work Has Begun

Construction begins on St. Benedict's site

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...t.25f1a50.html

Construction started this month on the renovation of a former hospital and convent on South Alamo Street.

Three real estate developers are turning the old St. Benedict's Hospital and St. Scholastica Convent into a 99,000-square-foot mixed-use project.

Workers started widening existing windows and cutting new ones in the hospital building at South Alamo and Pereida streets earlier this month. The 66 condos should be ready by fall of 2008, said Steve Yndo, a project developer with Christopher Hill and James Lifshutz.

Prices haven't been set, but the developers expect to start marketing this fall, Yndo said.

A restaurant space is planned for the adjacent St. Scholastica Convent, which was built in 1896. The developers are in talks with operators.

The two four-story hospital buildings, which were built in 1950, have sat vacant since the Congregation of Benedictine Sisters sold them in 1985. One story will be added to each of the hospital buildings.

The development, which Sprinkle Robey Architects is designing, also will include a gym, outdoor pool and park.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 12:59 PM
The Space Pope

It's about time! The demolition, and gutting process began well over a year and a half ago.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 1:55 PM
Endless Moments...

That is good news. I remember walking by that building it was always so dark and mysterious. Man i remember trying to get into it one nite, it was hella freaky. Anyhow i heard it was huanted, which wound not suprise me, being that it was an old hospital. Being that i am sure there are some great stories out there about this place...

I was looking for a little ghost icon, but there was not one...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 3:02 PM
The Space Pope

It is believed to be haunted, I should know I tried to enter the building myself. I am a folklorist who works from time to time with a parapsychologist. We are "freelance" ghosthunters. I love collecting stories and separating fact from fiction. We are on the skeptical side searching for proof before we draw conclusions because God knows there are people all too willing to believe just about anything. The story goes that televisions would turn on by themselves in a certain wing and even more frightening, a nun was said to appear and proceed to fly down a hall! I never did get a chance to explore the building but did tour the grounds before most of the buildings were demolished.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio