HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 9:50 PM

Downtown SA in 1968

Not sure if any of you have seen this... The beginning of this video shows some of the construction for the Hemisfair in 1968 including the Tower Of the Americas, Lila Cockeral Theater, Placeo del Rio (now the Hilton) and the old Hemisphere Arena. It also has few skyline shots from before construction.

Looks like SA had a monorail back in 1968! (Albeit a cheap one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYP8oSp2WTQ

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzoTX View Post
Not sure if any of you have seen this... The beginning of this video shows some of the construction for the Hemisfair in 1968 including the Tower Of the Americas, Lila Cockeral Theater, Placeo del Rio (now the Hilton) and the old Hemisphere Arena. It also has few skyline shots from before construction.

Looks like SA had a monorail back in 1968! (Albeit a cheap one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYP8oSp2WTQ
Oh Yeah.... I have....it is great. Thanks for posting it!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 12:03 AM

The skyline view at the very beginning looks incredible and it was only 1968. Tower Life looks very tall from that view even Crowne Plaza (which means now Weston Centre should look very good from that view). The view is from I-37 northbound correct? Now before you go thinking I'm crazy and wondering why I don't just drive 37 northbound and see the view myself it's because I don't live in SA and I won't until next year hahaha

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 2:41 PM
Meh

Yeah I've seen that before, or at least a part of it. I've seen the Tower of the Americas under construction before but never the Palacio del Rio, (Hilton). That fair was before my time, but my aunt and uncle did attend it. Looked like a fun time.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 7:55 PM

Awesome video. I've never seen it before and it blew my mind to see all the festivities. I just kept asking myself....why did they take away the lake? That was cool. And yes....the monorail was cheesy but it was 1968.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 5:10 AM

Awesome video. I love the music. There is a fantastic slow techno remix of this song. Have only heard it once, wish I could find it somewhere.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio