HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 12:47 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Daley is probably the lead contender simply because of his name, but I wouldn't count out any of the Arne Duncan types if they really want it. They have the necessary administrative experience, they can raise funds, they can identify with the core educated class that seems to, along with the Unions, swing elections, and they can at least split the union vote. And with the African American population crashing, that's still a key constituency, but possibly less unified than it once was.

I admit Daley leads with his name, but it won't be a sure thing by a long shot.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 5:17 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I suppose that means there still remain other city assets that the Daley family wishes to foolishly sell at rock bottom prices while screwing the electorate over for the next 99 years. Hurray...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 1:37 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I suppose that means there still remain other city assets that the Daley family wishes to foolishly sell at rock bottom prices while screwing the electorate over for the next 99 years. Hurray...
A well earned criticism

The problem is, I’m not sure any other contender has a track record of thinking differently. The only person who tried to even make a dent on Chicago’s finances was Rahm, and he came up against so much opposition from the “live off the taxpayer” crowd that it probably is a big reason why he burned out and isn’t running for re-election.

Preckwinkle obviously doesn’t give a shit about making hard decisions. The sweetened beverage tax shenanigans prove that. Chuy will be a disaster, as his entire purpose of existence is to pay teachers who aren’t needed in a city that has hundreds of thousands fewer students than it did a few decades ago—so he’s ready to make Chicago even more insolvent.

That Paul Vallas guy? Nah, too many ums and ohs and no substance other than paying lip service to “helping out the south side” which we all know there is a lot more to being Mayor than that.

McCarthy? Not sure—has he stated his position on something other than CPD issues?

For me it’s either Willie Williams ( ) or Daley at this point, the latter simply because he naturally will value business and investment (as opposed to villainizing them), which are needed to make Chicago tick.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:35 PM
BANNED

Now is the time for another dose of Daley.

William "Bill" is a pretty sharp guy, made tons in the private sector, Banking, and was Commerce Sect under Clinton and Obama, and for a time Chief of Staff for Obama..

Name recognition alone pushes him to the top but he's not just a name.
There is substance to him and an instant electorate and business money machine ready to go to bat for him I am sure.
Pro Business and a centrist. Clearly the best option on the table.

Throw in a Ton of ads with him and Obama and gets enough black votes to win outright on the first ballot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_M._Daley

Video Link

Video Link

Ads after Ads … with Obama

The images alone would be huge for the Black vote. An Obama endorsement would be over the top and probably not needed but if he got it the race would be over.

He certainly helped Rich and endorsed him.

Democratic Illinois Sen. Barack Obama takes questions at a news conference after endorsing Richard Daley, right, for another term as Chicago mayor Monday, Jan. 22, 2007, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)

CHICAGO - U.S. Sen. Barack Obama on Monday endorsed Mayor Richard M. Daley for another term, f he's re-elected on Feb. 27 and serves the full term, Daley would be Chicago's longest-serving mayor. His father, Richard J. Daley, served for 21 years.
Obama, 45, is considering a 2008 presidential run, and formed an exploratory committee earlier this week. He plans to announce his official decision in Springfield, Ill., on Feb. 10.

Daley, who has stayed neutral in previous Democratic primaries, said Monday he would do everything he could to help Obama should the Democratic senator decide to launch a bid for the White House.

"He has rejected the easy politics of name-calling and partisan politics," Daley said about Obama. "He's more interested in getting things done than dividing America."

He added that Obama understood the challenges facing the nation's cities.
"He understands that our cities need a strong federal partner to address the challenges of education, crime, jobs, affordable housing," Daley said. "He knows that our cities can't take on these fights alone."

Asked if New York Sen. Hillary Clinton's candidacy could hurt his chances of becoming the Democratic nominee, Obama was unfazed.
"I think I recall similar odds about three or four years ago when I was thinking about running for the U.S. Senate," said Obama, who was elected to the Senate in 2004 after eight years in the Illinois General Assembly.

https://www.pantagraph.com/news/obam...e8af185d0.html

Just keep Jarret out from running.

Last edited by bnk; Sep 15, 2018 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 4:10 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
A well earned criticism

The problem is, I’m not sure any other contender has a track record of thinking differently. The only person who tried to even make a dent on Chicago’s finances was Rahm, and he came up against so much opposition from the “live off the taxpayer” crowd that it probably is a big reason why he burned out and isn’t running for re-election.

Preckwinkle obviously doesn’t give a shit about making hard decisions. The sweetened beverage tax shenanigans prove that. Chuy will be a disaster, as his entire purpose of existence is to pay teachers who aren’t needed in a city that has hundreds of thousands fewer students than it did a few decades ago—so he’s ready to make Chicago even more insolvent.

That Paul Vallas guy? Nah, too many ums and ohs and no substance other than paying lip service to “helping out the south side” which we all know there is a lot more to being Mayor than that.

McCarthy? Not sure—has he stated his position on something other than CPD issues?

For me it’s either Willie Williams ( ) or Daley at this point, the latter simply because he naturally will value business and investment (as opposed to villainizing them), which are needed to make Chicago tick.
This is true, literally all the candidates facing off Rahm were (and still are) completely unfit for the job.

Daley does seem similar to Rahm in that he has connections in DC and the corporate world. If he is moderate and pro business as you say, then casting my vote for him is a possibility.

I just fear that he will be like his brother, swearing fealty to the unions and giving them anything and everything they want at the expense of the taxpayers and the city's already dismal finances.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 7:21 PM

Given the options Bill Daley is about the only one I can stomach at this point.

I guess a younger competent business/housing friendly progressive is too much to ask for right now. Maybe in another cycle.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 5:58 PM
The City

This should be required reading in Illinois schools

Rahm Emanuel’s failure is an ill omen for all Democrats

Quote:
It’s the Lord of the Flies on LaSalle Street,” wrote columnist John Kass. In case the references are unclear, whether because high schools haven’t been assigning the William Golding novel in the last few decades or because out-of-towners unaccountably don’t realize that Chicago’s City Hall front is on LaSalle Street, Kass was writing about Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s announcement that he won’t run for a third term next February.

Should readers from outside Chicagoland care? Yes, because Emanuel’s surprise exit is a sign of the unworkability of policies that will go national if Resistance Democrats oust Donald Trump, and indeed of some policies embraced by Trump as well.

Emanuel will be leaving office as a frustrated and unsuccessful mayor, even though he is one of the great political talents of his generation. Former Clinton fundraiser and White House staffer, Chicago congressman and chairman of House Democrats’ campaign committee when they overturned a Republican majority in 2006: He’s done it all.

He gave up a House leadership post to be Barack Obama’s first White House chief of staff; he gave that up to run for mayor — the job that every traditional Chicago politician considers far more important than anything “out of town” (said with a derisive curl of lip).

Emanuel’s decision — and his robust victory margin — suggested that he intended to stay at 121 North LaSalle Street about as long as the 20-plus years of the ally he replaced, Richard M. Daley, and Daley’s father before him. Instead he’ll serve just eight.

Emanuel inherited a city whose electorate was divided roughly equally between blacks on the South and West sides, Hispanics on the West and Northwest sides and gentry liberals running ever farther inland from the lakefront. It had a great economic heritage and enjoyed robust growth in the 1990s.

It has been downhill since. Chicago and Illinois have been hobbled by metastasizing pension obligations, frozen in place by state courts and state House speaker Michael Madigan. Taxes have been rising: Shoppers on North Michigan Avenue pay the nation’s highest taxes.

Chicagoans have been voting with their feet. Metro Chicago has by far the highest percentage of domestic out-migration of any major metropolitan area, and net outflow this decade is 5 percent of its 2010 population. In particular, blacks have been leaving metro Chicago for Atlanta and other points south.

Emanuel’s electoral base has been lakefront liberals plus a plurality of whichever minority group hasn’t produced his main opponent. That was blacks in 2015, but his standing with black voters has been hurt by his concealment during electoral season of the videotape of a police shooting of a young black man.

At the same time, Emanuel acquiesced in Obama administration oversight of the city’s police department. And police officers’ retreat from proactive policing has led to enormous increases in shootings and homicides.

I happened to be in Chicago in the early weeks of December 2008 and saw the celebratory air of a city festooned with posters hailing the new president — the first president Chicago ever produced. But after leaving office in January 2017, Obama has not moved back to Chicago and recently only visited briefly. Hope and change is not in the air.

Chicago is one of the great creations of mankind: a frontier post in 1833 that was one of the world’s great cities just 60 years later, showing off in the World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893 its new lakefront parks, its new electric light systems, its sanitary canal channeling wastewater away from Lake Michigan, its pioneering skyscrapers and enormous stockyards and factories.

Now the economic foundations of the metropolis are being drained and undermined to provide the generous pensions of long-retired public employees, many of them now in income-tax-free Florida, while public schools are closed, services reduced, police patrols pulled back.

That looks like a future of decline for Chicago, and maybe for America, too. Democrats have shown zero interest in reducing the entitlements of retirees, not since President Bill Clinton broke off negotiations with House Speaker Newt Gingrich amid the impeachment crisis of 1998. Ditto Donald Trump, and no Republican seems to be raising the issue, as President George W. Bush did in 2005.

It’s not a good sign — like a cold wind coming off Lake Michigan — that even as shrewd and well-connected a politician as Rahm Emanuel doesn’t see a viable way forward.
https://nypost.com/2018/09/14/rahm-e...all-democrats/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 2:43 AM

^^^ Yawn...

He's running for president plain and simple guys. Rahm doesn't "not see a way forward" Rahm sees a sitting duck for his personal brand of slug it out politics in the White House.

By dodging reelection he doesn't have to subject himself to months of petty slander by a bunch of dimwits and can leave office saying "I massively increased jobs and the economy while doing the impossible which is shrinking Chicago's budget gap to $90 million". Thats going to sound mighty appealing to a lot of Americans in 2020 when the US is facing the first economic downtown in more than a decade and ballooning national debt. People are also going to love watching him berate Trump, should be quite amusing.

Seriously guys, do you really think the guy who has been an investment banker, 4 term house rep, Chief of Staff to the president, and two term Chicago mayor is just done with politics and going home to cuddle with his wife by the fire? Rahm would literally go insane after probably 2 weeks of that kind of zero stimulus. He's just taking a breather before the presidential campaign begins...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 3:31 AM
The City

^ For the record, I don't agree with that article concluding that Rahm "failed". Sure there were plenty of things he couldn't fix, but "failure" is far from how I would define his Mayoralty.

As far as running for POTUS....hmmm that's intriguing but I remain unconvinced...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 1:11 PM

^^^ He's only 58 years old and comes from a family of notorious overachievers. Read about his upbringing and how his parents drove them all to success. He isn't retiring, not a chance. In what world does a 58 year old retire because "we are empty nesters now", that's usually right when most people kick their careers back into high gear for a few years because their obligations as parents are finally complete and they have their lives back. Rahm isn't done yet and I find the suggestion that he is patently absurd. I mean do we really subrscribe to the notion that a man like Rahm isn't running for reelection because he is afraid it will be nasty and he doesn't want to have his feelings hurt?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 5:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ He's only 58 years old and comes from a family of notorious overachievers. Read about his upbringing and how his parents drove them all to success. He isn't retiring, not a chance. In what world does a 58 year old retire because "we are empty nesters now", that's usually right when most people kick their careers back into high gear for a few years because their obligations as parents are finally complete and they have their lives back. Rahm isn't done yet and I find the suggestion that he is patently absurd. I mean do we really subrscribe to the notion that a man like Rahm isn't running for reelection because he is afraid it will be nasty and he doesn't want to have his feelings hurt?
Rahm and Axelrod could be gearing up to be key players in a Joe Biden (or Deval Patrick) campaign.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 10:55 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
^ For the record, I don't agree with that article concluding that Rahm "failed". Sure there were plenty of things he couldn't fix, but "failure" is far from how I would define his Mayoralty.

As far as running for POTUS....hmmm that's intriguing but I remain unconvinced...
I wouldn't call his tenure an unfettered success, but it was far from a failure, too. Some of the financial changes he made were unpopular and painful, but should help a lot in the long run and politically difficult. I'm not sure many politicians could have gotten them done. I'm not sure many politicians could have achieved more, financially, than he did, either, considering just how far behind the eight-ball Daley left the city. That's my biggest concern with whoever is next - will they have the political skill and willpower to keep making the hard, painful choices necessary to keep Chicago's finances improving or will he or she simply cave and kick the can ever further down the road like so many before?

The only things I consider an unqualified failure is his failure to smooth over the politics necessary to snare the Lucas museum, and that's hardly something to cry home about. It'd have been a feather in Chicago's cap, but it wasn't exactly the Smithsonian we're talking about and was hardly universally popular with the electorate. And, more importantly, I think his handing of the Laquan McDonald incident was sub-par. The fact that murders spiked during his time in office was unlikely to be his fault, so I can't really blame him for crime/policing in general. And Chicago mayors don't seem to have that much impact on crime here, as much as we might wish they did. And he did at least start hiring officers again. The selection of police chiefs is a key consideration, but the best chiefs we have had in the 2+ decades I've lived here have been extremely unpopular with the rank and file. That sort of cultural change might be somewhat impacted by a mayor, but it's not completely in their control unless they take wildly risky, dramatic steps that could very easily backfire.

I do wonder if/how it will impact any chance Chicago has for Amazon. Him being mayor was almost certainly a positive in Amazon's considerations, but Amazon would be foolish to make such a big decision based only on the presence of one elected official, no matter who that official was. And I'm sure that, if asked, he could continue to make phone calls and press the flesh to keep Chicago in the running if possible. I would hope Amazon makes a choice before his term is actually over, though, so that probably won't be necessary.

He got the first infrastructure-related special taxing district created for the construction of the Belmont Flyover, he seems to have stabilized CPS funding, made progress on O'Hare and Midway updates, and generally provided a level of stability giving local business leaders confidence. Chicago's economy is the best it's been in the time I've lived here (I came in 1995). He doesn't get all the credit for that, but considering some of his opponents in the last race, he get credit for not screwing things up or making disastrous decisions like some of the ideas his opponents had.

I don't think he'll run for President. I think he'd have to be crazy to try, considering his polarizing image. He could very well help elect someone else, though.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 11:15 PM
BANNED

Lots of data in this link besides politics but since it is a political thread I will just highlight the poll

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg-...w-chicago-poll

Greg Hinz On Politics

September 18, 2018 06:00 AM |UPDATED 9 hours ago

Tale of two cities laid out cold in new Chicago poll

A survey finds white college grads are happy with their prospects and neighborhoods, but other groups are much less so. Can a mayoral candidate pull backing from both?

The poll of 500 registered voters was conducted Sept. 6-11 and has an error margin of 4.4 percent.

The survey starts out by asking voters who they support for mayor. Conducted just after Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced he was giving up his bid for a third term—but before candidates such as former U.S. Commerce Secretary Bill Daley got in—it essentially finds that the race is wide open. According to respondents, including those who say they haven’t made up their mind but are leaning toward a particular candidate, the leaders are former Police Supt. Garry McCarthy with 12 percent, businessman Willie Wilson at 9 percent, ex-schools CEO Paul Vallas with 8 percent, Clerk of the Circuit Court Dorothy Brown at 7 percent, and former Police Board President Lori Lightfoot at 6 percent. Those figures could fracture more as additional candidates enter the race.

For instance, 54 percent of the total sample say they strongly agree that they would recommend living in their neighborhood to a friend or relative, with an additional 23 percent somewhat agreeing. But the "strongly agree" figure ranges from 82 percent among college-educated whites to 38 percent among non-college-graduate African-Americans.

Approval rates are highest among those under age 45, lowest among those over 60.

Similarly, 58 percent of white college grads indicated they strongly believe Chicago is a good place to get a job, but only 47 percent of non-college whites concurred, and 29 percent of blacks.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:19 AM
The City

Anybody see the Governor's debate?

Heated! Things got kinda personal between Rauner and Pritzker

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 1:21 AM

Was it entertaining? I'm voting for Rauner pretty much no matter what unless it comes out he's a rapist. Has he been effective? NO

But he's still better than Pritzker and Madigan.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 1:31 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Was it entertaining? I'm voting for Rauner pretty much no matter what unless it comes out he's a rapist. Has he been effective? NO

But he's still better than Pritzker and Madigan.
If he hasn't been effective, why vote for him? That doesn't make sense.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
If he hasn't been effective, why vote for him? That doesn't make sense.
Because I don't want a very effective tax and spender in a state that has very high taxation and spending in addition to public employee unions deeply in bed with said spenders.

At least with Rauner, I know he won't give everything to an already overly protected public workforce.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:38 AM

Yeah it has often been said that dysfunction and bureaucracy are a feature not a bug in American Democracy. We don't need a highly effective government in Illinois if that government is going to be highly effective at enacting more of the same very very bad policies that drove us into the ditch to begin with.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 4:39 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yeah it has often been said that dysfunction and bureaucracy are a feature not a bug in American Democracy. We don't need a highly effective government in Illinois if that government is going to be highly effective at enacting more of the same very very bad policies that drove us into the ditch to begin with.
The embedded assumption here is that Rauner would stop the ditch driving.

What I see is a Governor who created a higher debt burden and I still saw a tax increase in the end. The exact things you are worried about happening under Pritzker already happened under Rauner. I'll take the one who wants to legalize marijuana and sports betting.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
The embedded assumption here is that Rauner would stop the ditch driving.

What I see is a Governor who created a higher debt burden and I still saw a tax increase in the end. The exact things you are worried about happening under Pritzker already happened under Rauner. I'll take the one who wants to legalize marijuana and sports betting.
I agree about pot, should have been legalized years ago. I'm just afraid that JB and Madigan will continue to give in to the demands of the public employee unions. That incestuous relationship needs to be broken.

The state needs to eliminate public employee benefit protection. How absurd that we can never change an employee benefit from the day they are hired? Unfortunately Pritzker and Madigan will never do that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest