HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
On the health care topic again.. That's what I mean. Build hospitals like they plan to in the south. Pay people to be there. If it's toxic, get the toxic out. Figure it out. It's not like we can't control what's going on in the Province.
Building hospitals is the easy part. Staffing them is what's tough, both in terms of recruitment and ongoing costs. Unfortunately Manitoba is a tough draw, especially once you get outside Winnipeg and maybe Brandon. Not many York University or UBC nursing graduates want to move to Swan River. That's why we look abroad to fill the gaps, but that presents its own set of challenges.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:15 PM

Ya, I know.. That's what I mean about needing to pay people to be there. Especially local people. And if there's some toxic shit going on. Figure that out. If everyone quit, obviously some type of issue with management. Going to Nunavut for a 1 month on 1 month off. Must be getting paid to do that.

By pay them, I mean really pay people. You need to overpay staff. It's cheaper to treat people in the north than fly them south. Or make people drive 10 hours to Winnipeg. That's brutal.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:16 PM

I wonder if you could make a requirement where practicing nurses and physicians are rotated through from the south for a week or two per year. Not so long it's onerous, and add some bonus pay or a per diem to compensate from being away from home and family.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
I wonder if you could make a requirement where practicing nurses and physicians are rotated through from the south for a week or two per year. Not so long it's onerous, and add some bonus pay or a per diem to compensate from being away from home and family.
You can't force it or many people will simply leave their jobs and go elsewhere, or go to work for another employer that won't require them to do this. You could appeal to the goodness of their hearts, but forcing it would not be a good idea.

The only people "forced" to work up north are those who are paying off bursaries that specifically require people to spend X number of years up north, or internationally-trained staff whose entry into Canada is expedited in exchange for working up north. But that's the deal up front. I can't imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if the government tried telling a mother of three that she would have to spend two weeks working in Flin Flon or wherever, especially when that would lead to gaps in coverage in Winnipeg since facilities here are already stretched to the max.

There are no easy answers here. All of the real solutions will cost a lot of money and take a long time, years, to fully implement.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I can't imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if the government tried telling a mother of three that she would have to spend two weeks working in Flin Flon or wherever, especially when that would lead to gaps in coverage in Winnipeg since facilities here are already stretched to the max.
You're completely right, of course. A conclusion I should have come to on my own... I blame the coffee not having kicked in yet

What are the constraints on training more MDs and BNs? I know it's expensive; tuition is only a small part of the total cost of training, and the public purse picks up the rest. Presumably you don't have to avoid very many flights south or delayed treatments to justify the costs, though. Expand said bursary program to keep graduates in Manitoba long enough to put down roots.

University of Manitoba trains 110 physicians per year, and admissions are highly competitive. I doubt the 150th or 200th candidate is significantly different from the 110th. The turnaround is less than 4 years, given they start performing useful work before the end of the degree, so a newly-elected government could claim results by the next election. Similar story for nurses.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
This sounds like an excellent strategy if you are looking to chase physicians and nurses out of the province.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 3:53 PM
BANNED

Some on this board (specifically in Regina-based threads) have questioned whether economic inequality is an issue in Canada. There has been myriad evidence to show this is clearly the case but I'm hoping this recent story in the Toronto Star helps assure the doubters that Canada indeed has a problem with inequality. If we want to live in a stable, sustainable country that has any hope of improving our standard of living (as was the case until recently which is why stuff like the Trucker covoy is going to get more frequent and more violent), this is the most important thing our country must tackle, next to climate change.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 7:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Cerb proved it

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 7:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Cerb proved it
Bingo. Our economy was on the verge of collapse. And there are still people who don't think climate change is going to be a big deal...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
thompson hospital is worn out depressing place and they dont make 200k to be a nurse there

its faster to drive to lynn lake from thompson and back then it is to see a doc in thompson
While there are only two nurses who make over $200,000 a year in the NRHA, there are 198 nurses who make over $100,000 a year there. Also, the highest paid people in health in the province are physicians in the NRHA, 1 making over $850,000 a year.

Edit: Here's a link to the data https://geoportal.gov.mb.ca/datasets...sure-1/explore

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 7:55 PM

Not trying to be rude here. But I just hear excuses on why healthcare in the north is bad. And nothing about what can be done besides simply throwing up our arms. Oh well, just quit then.

Let's come up with a long term plan. Build proper hospitals or care centres. Pay for locals to go to College or University. Let people own the situation. If we can't just pay our way out of the situation, the local people need to take control.

Much like on reserve clean water. We can build water treatment plants and systems. But it is up to the locals to operate and maintain that stuff. The issue is long term maintenance and care.

Just like housing. We can build all the houses we want. But if they're not cared for by the owners, what is the Government supposed to do?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 8:49 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Not trying to be rude here. But I just hear excuses on why healthcare in the north is bad. And nothing about what can be done besides simply throwing up our arms. Oh well, just quit then.

Let's come up with a long term plan. Build proper hospitals or care centres. Pay for locals to go to College or University. Let people own the situation. If we can't just pay our way out of the situation, the local people need to take control.

Much like on reserve clean water. We can build water treatment plants and systems. But it is up to the locals to operate and maintain that stuff. The issue is long term maintenance and care.

Just like housing. We can build all the houses we want. But if they're not cared for by the owners, what is the Government supposed to do?
the north has issues with managment and work culture for heathcare

water treatment plants for these communities require an hr or a day so u wind up with small communities hiring people to be apart of the town crew who want nothing to do with that other stuff and quit or u get a councle that refuses to fallow the laws on funding and managing things so ur operator whos liable for councles bs will quit cause its not worth the liability and stress. or u cant find anyone with grade `12 to take the coarse for the licence and when u do they usualy fail as it has a stupid high failure rate even with people who have a university degree

housing takes mantiance yes but how do you maintain if u cant even get a quote from a trades person to fix something or its 3500$ to change a breaker in ur panel or 3k to clean u pluged p trap

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:30 PM
BANNED

Poor Phil Sheegl, only thinks he should have to pay half his bribe back, these bribes just ain’t what they used to be Slippery Sam later tells him!

And Winnipeg’s clueless city clowncil oblivious to it all!

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Poor Phil Sheegl, only thinks he should have to pay half his bribe back, these bribes just ain’t what they used to be Slippery Sam later tells him!

And Winnipeg’s clueless city clowncil oblivious to it all!
I tried to tell you years ago that Sam was bad news for Winnipeg

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 8:13 PM
surely you agree with me

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

https://www.realwinnipeg.com/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 8:58 PM

"No, everyone else's cities are made from what's fake. Winnipeg... Made from what's real."

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 9:24 PM

Meh, it's a slogan.

Sure... we're real. Why not? Whatever.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 10:02 PM

This is right up there with the Spirited Energy Campaign.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 10:08 PM

We have homeless people asking people for change at every major intersection, homeless people sleeping in most of the bus shelters, smashed windows all over the downtown. It feels real and authentic.

Who needs cities with intersections devoid of folks on the meridian/blvd., bus shelters that aren't homes and don't smell of pee, clean downtowns with garbage cans that are not overflowing? Sooooooo fake and plastic.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
"No, everyone else's cities are made from what's fake. Winnipeg... Made from what's real."

Zoomer Don Draper

Wait, this is real? I thought this was just the work of some recent creative communications grads trying to fake their way into a portfolio. Kind of like Dreamscape or that guy who made the highrise pumphouse proposal. Now I'm sad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan