HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
It would eat into the passengers too though. The only option now is to take a cab or get family/friends to take you/pick you up. With the monopoly like that, taxi usage/income only has one way to go.
The best way to do it is charge an extra amount for the bus when it departs from the airport. Calgary does it on the bus they run downtown. Vancouver does it on Skytrain.

One a few years when everyone is use to a bus being there get rid of the extra fee.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 8:03 PM

The Main Apron rehab is complete; and that's essential for the upcoming terminal expansion. (More to come soon.)

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 5:36 AM

Next week, a meeting will be taking place with regards to the relocation of Taxiway "Charlie."

More to come soon.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:52 AM

Hey skydive, i dont follow this forum as close as others. Which airport are you talking about??

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Hey skydive, i dont follow this forum as close as others. Which airport are you talking about??
I'm pretty sure he is talking about YQR, as Taxiway Charlie has been closed for a number of years, and the airport here will be expanding northwestwards. If I am correct on this, Taxiway Charlie is right in line with where the airport will expand.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:47 PM

Cool thanks. Its been a pretty exciting decade for both Saskatoon and Regina. Hope it keeps up.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
YQR. Sorry, I've been very busy here as-of-late.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 6:16 AM

Ok folks, here's the latest for YQR:

At present, there is an additional 500-stall, fully-serviced paved parking lot under construction. And as well - soon - a new cargo facility. The present-day Air Canada Cargo building will eventually be demolished.

The plan is for Taxiway "C" (Charlie) to be relocated well to the north of where Taxiway C is at present. It'll be even north of the old Taxiway "M". (Mike.)

The new Taxiway C will be able to handle aircraft up to the size of a B767. (And progressively smaller aircraft as the taxiway gradually narrows eastward.) Pavement load capabilities will be congruent with wingspan.

Big plans for additional hangars and commercial development on the north side of the airfield. (Fully serviced lots.)

There will be FIVE [fully refurbished/expanded/repaved] aprons by 2021. Four of the aprons are pre-existing --- of course.

The ATB will be expanded towards the north. (Actually NW.) Completion of Phase I of the ATB to be completed by 2021 --- a must. Phase II by 2030ish will be a pier that will extend straight north. Phase I will be more of what we have now. Phase II will be able to exclusively accommodate two large aircraft, e.g.: A340-600; B777-300; B747-400. I surmise that the completion of Phase I will have an additional 4 jetways. (For a by then total of 11.); Phase II will have yet 2 additional jetways. (For a by then total of 13.)

A new Control Tower to be completed at the north end of the ATB by 2021.

The planning stages - as yet - are not complete; however, this is the gist of it. By '21, YQR will be dramatically different.

. . . . . and: $$$$!!!!

Last edited by SkydivePilot; Oct 31, 2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: B767

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post

At present, there is an additional 500-stall, fully-serviced paved parking lot under construction. And as well - soon - a new cargo facility. The present-day Air Canada Cargo building will eventually be demolished.

The plan is for Taxiway "C" (Charlie) to be relocated well to the north of where Taxiway C is at present. It'll be even north of the old Taxiway "M". (Mike.)

The new Taxiway C will be able to handle aircraft up to the size of a B767. (And progressively smaller aircraft as the taxiway gradually narrows eastward.) Pavement load capabilities will be congruent with wingspan.

Big plans for additional hangars and commercial development on the north side of the airfield. (Fully serviced lots.)

There will be FIVE [fully refurbished/expanded/repaved] aprons by 2021. Four of the aprons are pre-existing --- of course.

The ATB will be expanded towards the north. (Actually NW.) Completion of Phase I of the ATB to be completed by 2021 --- a must. Phase II by 2030ish will be a pier that will extend straight north. Phase I will be more of what we have now. Phase II will be able to exclusively accommodate two large aircraft, e.g.: A340-600; B777-300; B747-400. I surmise that the completion of Phase I will have an additional 4 jetways. (For a by then total of 11.); Phase II will have yet 2 additional jetways. (For a by then total of 13.)

The planning stages - as yet - are not complete; however, this is the gist of it. By '21, YQR will be dramatically different.

Thanks for the update Skydive. A couple of questions, do they have a date for construction to start on the terminal building? You've given a finish date but I am curious about the start date.

Care to provide more detail on the dollar amounts?

Also, is this what you mean by a Pier??

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 4:13 AM

Ya, boy, that's a pier alright! (But ours won't be nearly as large.)

There was no discussion of cost during the meeting; however, earlier postings/media-stated estimate of $200-250 million.

Construction of the terminal building won't commence until '18 ---- at the earliest. (Probably '19.) There needs to be a pile of airside improvements everywhere to be made beforehand before the actual terminal expansion commences. Based on projected pax traffic though, the terminal needs to be completed by '21. Airport requirements may even change between now and then; but for now, this is roughly pretty well the plan. I hope this helps.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 7:22 PM

YXE has done a 'Phase 2A' opening of some more of the new terminal. Pictures here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7207515&type=1
I thought the whole thing was going to be open by the end of 2014. Any ideas on the delays?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
YXE has done a 'Phase 2A' opening of some more of the new terminal. Pictures here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7207515&type=1
I thought the whole thing was going to be open by the end of 2014. Any ideas on the delays?
A Starbucks stand is now available. Now that good coffee is available. The airport authority should use it as an opportunity to attract fights to Seattle and Vancouver.

From the other photos it looks like it is going to be a pretty slick looking airport when done. Nicely done.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 6:14 PM
ConstructionPete

YXE Passenger Stats

October was another great month for air travel in Saskatoon. Total passenger volumes were up 7.9%, pushing the year to date increase to 7.3%. The only sector to fall during the month was the typically very strong trans-border sector. Direct USA travel dropped about 10% in October, largely due to the discontinuance of the direct Chicago service which meant many USA bound passengers connected through a Domestic airport. The result is a significant (11.1%) increase in domestic air travel in November. Year to date, all travel sectors continue to be ahead of last year.

In addition to the discontinuance of the Chicago direct service, other seasonal changes during October included the discontinuance of the summer direct Ottawa service. On a positive note, the Winter sun spot charters are starting up with some early services beginning in November, and the seasonal Phoenix service has resumed for the winter.

Last edited by kalin_10; Nov 16, 2014 at 6:14 PM. Reason: Added Graph

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post

It looks like this group will be in charge of the initial work for the changes that will be coming up at YQR. http://www.wspgroup.com/en/WSP-Canad...ional-Airport/

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
It looks like this group will be in charge of the initial work for the changes that will be coming up at YQR. http://www.wspgroup.com/en/WSP-Canad...ional-Airport/
Great post Robag. You all can see the new 499-stall parking lot is under construction [in the photo] to the lower left. When future needs warrant, there will another 450-stall parking lot constructed as well. (Likely adjacent.)

Right now, the 499-stall parking lot is pretty well complete. There are very tall LED light poles now up and would be serviced/hooked up soon for the bulk of the sun destination travel season.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 8:13 PM

Do you think we have any chance of new domestic or international flights added to Regina for 2015? It sure has been quiet right now for YQR regarding announcements.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Do you think we have any chance of new domestic or international flights added to Regina for 2015? It sure has been quiet right now for YQR regarding announcements.
Nope.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 10:22 PM

Instead we are losing flights

http://www.newstalk980.com/story/uni...skatoon/519413

I hate United but this is terrible news.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Instead we are losing flights

http://www.newstalk980.com/story/uni...skatoon/519413

I hate United but this is terrible news.
This really sucks. I am pissed off at United for doing this. So many times they have overbooked flights, yet they could care less about what they do to their customers. My last flight on United is Feb 28th, so I guess I get the last flight back to Sask.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 10:46 PM

I don't see anyone else picking up this route. DEN is a United hub, not really a destination. The best we can hope for is probably more frequency on Delta to MSP and from WestJet to PHX and LAS.

Eventually if the dollar an the economy come back we might see Delta fly to SLC.

Air Canada won't do anything. They will be happy routing us through YYC and YYZ.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan