HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 9:52 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
In those days, developers just scraped a tract of all vegetation, leveled it, poured concrete slabs to build on and started throwing up houses; like the song, "little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky-tacky."
To be fair, a lot of that land had previously been farm or ranch land. I know the same was true for my neighborhood. My parents grew up living next door to each other, and they and my aunts and uncles played in a field behind my grandparents' houses that was owned by a rancher who had cattle, including a bull, that would chase them from time to time before they scrambled up one of the giant oak trees. There were no other types of trees around here back then. Supposedly, too, before my grandparents moved in, the previous owner of the house had a horse in the backyard.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:22 AM

As I've posted before, when my brother bought his little 2/1 on Piedmont in Crestview in 1959, there was a working farm directly over his back fence. There were almost no old trees in the neighborhood to shade those cheaply built ticky tacky little cookie cutter houses that seem to be all the rage today.
He paid $6,500 for that house (which has a cracked slab).

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
As I've posted before, when my brother bought his little 2/1 on Piedmont in Crestview in 1959, there was a working farm directly over his back fence. There were almost no old trees in the neighborhood to shade those cheaply built ticky tacky little cookie cutter houses that seem to be all the rage today.
He paid $6,500 for that house (which has a cracked slab).
Hmmm, I'm not sure what year your bro's place was built (assuming mid 50's) but my bungalow in Crestview is pier and beam and not tick or tacky. I actually wish they were all the rage today....unfortunately it's the land that's hot since their being demolished like it's going out of style.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:26 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Kevin and Armybrat are spot on. The area was cleared of the origional old growth forest except for some of the hardwoods such as Live Oaks. By 1900, nearly all of the old woodlands were cut down for ranchland except for a couple of isolated pockets transforming how the area looked in less than 100 years. If we were able to go back to the year 1800, this area would have been a mixture of woodlands and grasslands. Old Blueberry Ash Juniper stands reaching 50-100 feet in height (yes Blueberry Ash Juniper can grow large and tall, just takes a very long time) would run along the sides of the hills leaving the hilltops open with some oaks. Thick riparian forests lining the Colorado and associated creeks would open to stands of Cedar Elms then prairies.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Jul 11, 2018 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 2:12 AM

1972. Amazing how the Capitol area and UT dominated the skyline back then.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162503...Ka37YA-27Bt3u8

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 2:59 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
1972. Amazing how the Capitol area and UT dominated the skyline back then.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162503...Ka37YA-27Bt3u8
That's an amazing shot. You can even see the newly-opened Highland Mall at the top-right.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 5:53 AM
Meh

Besides showing the construction of that big state office building to the left of the Capitol, you can also see the site prep for the Ashbel Smith Building, and also for the Chase Bank Tower. You can even see the construction trailers on site for Chase.

Also, if you look at his photos of the UT Campus, you can see that there's some construction going on at the stadium. Part of that was when they added the western upperdeck and also built Bellmont Hall under the western upperdeck.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 11:31 PM

I've seen this before, so maybe it was already posted. But welcome to 1987. A completely cheesy tourism promo.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I've seen this before, so maybe it was already posted. But welcome to 1987. A completely cheesy tourism promo.

Video Link
Completely cheesy except for Joe "King" Carrasco and SRV. That narrator sounds like the guy who introduced the TV audience to the modern world of kitchen appliances....in 1953. Hey, Austin was cool in the 80s. That's when and why I moved here. I liked Austin then and love Austin now. But forgive me for saying, the music was MUCH better in the 80s.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:54 AM

Quote:

Video Link
It actually "featured" a Taco Cabana.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:41 AM
Meh

This video was posted on the forum some years ago, and I have never forgotten it.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 7:20 AM

And now I'll probably never forget it either. Thanks a lot Kevin.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odelayjb View Post
It actually "featured" a Taco Cabana.
"Austin is like Paris...." clearly.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
This video was posted on the forum some years ago, and I have never forgotten it.

Let's be honest...this is the peak of humanity. Everything else is downhill.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 1:49 AM

51 Rainey in 1956. It is now the site of Skyhouse.

KUT's Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kutaus...h/43673960024/

Last edited by The ATX; Sep 16, 2018 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 2:02 AM

And here's 81 1/2 Rainey St. - years unknown. This house was still standing in 2009 on Streetview. Based on later Streetview images it was demo'ed in late 2013/early 2014. It is now a cleared pathway between Rainey St. and that lovely Homewood Suites. It is also next to the homes that became Bangers.

KUT's Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kutaus...h/43673960024/

Last edited by The ATX; Sep 16, 2018 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 2:12 AM

Here's another shot of 51 Rainey from the same KUT link. Some of the photos with that address look like they could be a different house. But anyway, here's another one. What a mess. But notice the kids peeking out from the roof top. It must have been a fun place to grow up at.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 9:35 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Bonus - can you guess what city this is?

Photo by Dave - https://www.flickr.com/photos/pgaven...46581/sizes/h/
Dallas

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:03 AM
Meh

So, I finally got at least a couple of my building elevations laminated. The City of Austin has most of the building elevations/site plans posted online, but not all. They also weren't required to archive them before 1975. It also seems that they've only just started digitizing the plans and posting them online during the last 15 years or so.

As a way of collecting building heights, we've gone through the City of Austin pulling site plans from the internet to view the elevations, but for some reason, some projects that aren't even that old don't have their plans online.

So, a few years ago I contacted the planning department to do a records request so that I could see what they had. I sent them a list of everything I was looking for, and the guy gathered as much he could.

For most of the plans, I just snapped photos of them and jotted down the heights on a notepad.

But there were three in particular that I was most interested in since I hadn't been able to find them online. The Frost Bank Tower, One American Center and One Congress Plaza.

I also found out that I could purchase copies of them, which I didn't even realize until I got there.

I'm planning on maybe getting these framed also and putting a couple of them up on the wall, but they're pretty big. The one of the Frost Bank Tower here is 39 inches wide.

I haven't gotten the one for One Congress Plaza laminated yet. It's smaller than the other building elevations. I had to go to the Office Depot on West 5th because none of the locations had laminating machines big enough to accommodate the other elevations.

One Congress Plaza was another building we didn't have a good height for. We had always seen 391 feet listed for it. This is a copy of the original building elevations, and it shows it as 497 feet, but you have to subtract 100 feet from that number to get the actual height. So it's not quite 400 feet tall, but it's taller than we thought it was.

This shows the street level and plaza level. The sunken plaza drops 14 feet below the street level. So technically, counting from the plaza level, the building is 411 feet tall. It also "technically" has 31 floors when measured from the plaza level, although the floors aren't numbered that way.

Probably the one I was most excited about was the One American Center since it was always my favorite building in Austin as a kid and still is.

For a long long time the height we had always seen listed for the One American Center was 395 feet. I always assumed it was right, but after I was able to view the original building elevations for the building, I noticed that the "395 feet" people had been seeing was actually the sea level elevation of the top of the building, which is actually 895.50 feet. The sea level elevation of the southeast corner of the building at the street is 494.67 feet, meaning it's actually 400 feet 9 61⁄64 inches tall. It meant that Austin had already had a 400 foot tall building for about 30 years, and we didn't even realize it. The One American Center was the first building in Austin over 400 feet.

The elevations also showed what looked like either a lightning rod or maybe a mast structure for communications equipment that looks to be around 25 feet tall. I know there are several antennas up there, but I'm not sure if this structure is still there or not.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 6:08 AM
Meh

East 6th Street. 816 Congress was under construction here, completed in 1984. You can also see the tower cranes for the Capitol Tower that was finished in 1986 at 10th & Brazos.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Tower crane for One American Center, probably from 1982.

823 Congress under construction.

Norwood Tower

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin