HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Waldorf-Astoria in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 1:36 AM
I'm going slightly mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Damn I hate when these ,100 floors plus, 1100-1200 foot tall buildings get hidden from view.

Just give it to some other city because we will never see it anyway because of the way it is all boxed in.
*raises hand*

Yes please. You Chicago types are spoiled for riches. Even though Chicago is destined to be my future home, any buildings you want to send down this way, feel free.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojava View Post
Have you ever been in front of the Peninsula in Chicago. There's always lots of cars waiting to be parked. Regarding parking, you also have to take into account ballroom functions, restaurants, spas, etc. There's lots of other reasons to go to hotels other then to stay overnight.
Many of the cars in from of the Peninsula are limos and private cars. There are also many cabs. With it's proximity to the Sheraton and Embasy Suites Lakefront, I think that traffic will actually flow more smoothly. There's only so much room to station a cab and other vehicles on upper North Water and Park Drive (sloped street leading to the Sheraton from Illinois). With the addition of this hotel, those cars won't be idleing as long because there will be more customers to service.

Quote:
After reading the Sun Times article, I think the 1000 parking spots will be shared with the proposed 48 story rental building and it seems as if SOAR going to do their best to minimize the damage.
I don't believe that 1,000 parking spaces were ever mentioned in the article, that was TUP's 2'cents

Quote:
After reading the Sun Times article, I think the 1000 parking spots will be shared with the proposed 48 story rental building and it seems as if SOAR going to do their best to minimize the damage.
The design hasn't been released to the public, but it the design was shown to SOAR on September 4th. The tower will be 50-stories and about 574' tall. They are going in under existing zoning, so there's no need to go before the plan commission on the rental tower, it's as of right. The tower was nice, but the parking base sucked ass and totally overshadowed the design of the tower. SOAR was appalled. My theory, is that SOAR will ask the 2 developers to work together on an shared underground garage. And I'd agree with them.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
My theory, is that SOAR will ask the 2 developers to work together on an shared underground garage. And I'd agree with them.
If they can't get all the parking underground, they could do what 600 N LSD did, which is to sandwich the parking in the middle between the two towers. From the render, there's a lot of space in the middle, and it would be mostly hidden from view.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
If they can't get all the parking underground, they could do what 600 N LSD did, which is to sandwich the parking in the middle between the two towers. From the render, there's a lot of space in the middle, and it would be mostly hidden from view.
Possibly, but there is a view corridor west from Ogedn Slip that can't be obstructed. I believe that the height limit there is 30', and I don't believe there's any way SOAR would agree to give that up.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 2:36 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

The only criticism I have with this is that I wish it could be proposed for the lot of the NBC tower. I even think it is worthy enough for the WP or NE corner of Lakeshore East.

Yes, it is only one block north of the river but it would be nice to see a potentially iconic building on the rivers edge to be able to view base to top.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 2:53 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Yeah... there are two lots on either side of NBC...one ON the River. I'm still kind of surprised we haven't seen development. There.

Perhaps Carley's tower will spur some.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 2:57 AM
Chicago

September 28, 2007

Here are two panoramic shots from the site today. Nothing really special, just a parking lot. While I was taking pictures, about a quarter after noon, a green helicopter hovered right over the site for approximately 10 minutes. It was a beautiful day and perhaps they were gathering some photographs for future promotional material or maybe the pilot was a skyscraper fan checking the site out like me.

Looking north-northeast

Looking northwest. Trump Tower is on the far left.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRAISER View Post
Even though we have only one rendering, I would love to see what kinda impact on the skyline it would have.
Well this is my best guess for this skyline shot of mine from Western/Elston.
I eyeballed the base as bit smaller than AON, and from the NW, it would have a basically pyramidal shape, if both sides cut in to the point as it looks like they do.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 3:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Well this is my best guess for this skyline shot of mine from Western/Elston.
I eyeballed the base as bit smaller than AON, and from the NW, it would have a basically pyramidal shape, if both sides cut in to the point as it looks like they do.

nice pano but the shard has little impact upon the sky view from this point, but than again why should I complain?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 3:16 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
nice pano but the shard has little impact upon the sky view from this point, but than again why should I complain?
For an instant there, I thought that smokestack was a photoshoped picture displaying the proposed tower.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 3:37 AM

From the North, rough silhouette.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 4:13 AM

Time once again for someone to break out that iRobot photo of the futuristic Chicago skyline.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
There is a view corridor west from Ogden Slip that can't be obstructed.
Any idea why that is being preserved? I guess it lines up pretty well with Tribune Tower, which would be good enough reason. As long as they're doing that, it would be better to (re)extend Ogden Slip all the way to Columbus. Just a nice fantasy... of course it would mean cutting through the central lobby between those 12-story Cityfront Place buildings.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 1:35 PM
Content provider

this would be some very premature banaculation, but it looks great

one of the worst surface lots left in chicago, for sure

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 1:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
What are you talking about? Little impact on the skyline? There's a big 1000' triangular building in the middle of the photo.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 3:27 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Sorry, but its really effing hard to make a big impact in Chicago. You essentially have to build 2000' or on the edge of the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 5:18 PM
Dance with the Devil

oh wonderful
now i got another building i can look at on my drive home

Chicago, always trying to top it self

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 5:54 PM

Wow. Chicago truly is amazing with all this development. Look out NYC!
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchii View Post
one of the worst surface lots left in chicago, for sure
Last time I was down in that area I was wondering when the hell they'd get rid of the stupid parking lot. I couldn't understand how something like that was existing right in the middle of all of the other highrises in the area. It'll be good when it's finally gone!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Last time I was down in that area I was wondering when the hell they'd get rid of the stupid parking lot. I couldn't understand how something like that was existing right in the middle of all of the other highrises in the area. It'll be good when it's finally gone!
I wonder the same thing every time I go to the movies. Not only this site, but is there any word on the empty lot south of NBC tower? I'd be happy with something even in the middle range height wise, just please no rotating tower!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive