HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 10:19 PM

MB cases 103, 1 death, 2 icu.
Canada 8500, 101 deaths.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Because no economic system can withstand a prolonged global pandemic where huge numbers of people aren't productive. A strong social safety net is a good thing but the notion of "printing money" endlessly to sustain it just isn't going to work when there is no value to that money.

Governments provide a good temporary backstop for situations like this but there is absolutely no way that it can go on forever. Which is why you will see some very difficult decisions being made if this matter isn't resolved in about 6 months time.
It's a crazy time though. I think the switch to turn the economy back on can be turned pretty quick. The demand will be almost immediate.

It's also a crazy time in finance. People plow their safe money into treasury bonds no matter how much money is "printed." Inflation is not happening as it should based on how much debt sovereign nations are creating. Interest rates are negligible. How does it all end? I hope it ends a few lifetimes from now because I don't want to know.

Alberta is going to be it's own problem aside from the pandemic.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 6:17 PM

Community based transmission confirmed to have started in Manitoba. Currently they're only testing sympomatic travellers, medical staff or remote locations.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 6:25 PM

Colour me shocked.

Some of the stuff they're saying in today's presser surprises me. Trying not to be a cynical asshat here. But jfc.

"New screening procedures are being implemented for staff working in acute and long-term care facilities."

"Implementation of these measures will begin today and will involve all staff arriving for the start of their shift to have their temperature taken and be required to answer questions about any symptoms they have, their travel history and their exposure to positive COVID-19 cases"

Just starting this now? My workplace implemented these types of standards weeks ago. Literally 3 weeks ago at least. Thermometer on site. Random checking everyday of people. Then they told people to stay home so it's basically now if you go to the office you get you temp checked. Travel has ceased, so no need to be asking any questions regarding that.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Colour me shocked.

Some of the stuff they're saying in today's presser surprises me. Trying not to be a cynical asshat here. But jfc.

"New screening procedures are being implemented for staff working in acute and long-term care facilities."

"Implementation of these measures will begin today and will involve all staff arriving for the start of their shift to have their temperature taken and be required to answer questions about any symptoms they have, their travel history and their exposure to positive COVID-19 cases"

Just starting this now? My workplace implemented these types of standards weeks ago. Literally 3 weeks ago at least. Thermometer on site. Random checking everyday of people. Then they told people to stay home so it's basically now if you go to the office you get you temp checked. Travel has ceased, so no need to be asking any questions regarding that.
I get that but at the same time why are people with symptoms going into work at a hospital. Like come on. Of anyone these people should have known better.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 7:13 PM

yes, precisely.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 7:47 PM

MB at 127, 1 death, 3 ICU.
Canada 9500 with 108 deaths.
Worldwide likely 1 million cases tomorrow.
US past 200 k cases, and will hit 5000 deaths.
G of C saying to prepare for social distancing into July.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 9:56 PM

2 weeks I was shocked when it hit 100k worldwide, now closing in on a million.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I get that but at the same time why are people with symptoms going into work at a hospital. Like come on. Of anyone these people should have known better.
I work in a facility, not a hospital. Why do people go to work in health sick? Because our staffing level is about 80% of the reduced staffing we do have, so many vacancies. If we don't go to work there's nobody to do our job and the service suffers.

Yes it's dumb, but when you work in that culture you don't even think about it.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 12:08 AM

I went out for groceries the other day and drove past several liqour stores with groups of people standing outside. I saw groups of people standing infront of apartment buidling entrances smoking not giving a care about people that might come in or out. There is still people carrying on like everything is normal. I think it is safe to say (sadly) that Winnipeg is headed for a major crisis. I hope I am wrong, but the authorities really need to put their foot down if they want to slow this thing down.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 12:11 AM

I wonder where the temporary medical facilities will be? The Convention Centre has to be the most obvious choice, but where else? Maybe the indoor soccer facilities? Keystone Centre in Westman?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I wonder where the temporary medical facilities will be? The Convention Centre has to be the most obvious choice, but where else? Maybe the indoor soccer facilities? Keystone Centre in Westman?
Wasn't the old women's hospital on Notre dame being prepared for this?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 1:24 AM

Correct

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 1:30 AM

Too bad Nygard is in trouble. They could have probably switched their plants to make unisex hospital uniforms and patient gowns on a short turnaround time.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Too bad Nygard is in trouble. They could have probably switched their plants to make unisex hospital uniforms and patient gowns on a short turnaround time.
Canada Goose is already producing medical supplies too

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 4:47 AM

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Wasn't the old women's hospital on Notre dame being prepared for this?
I recall hearing that but with the scale of this thing, you have to wonder if it'll be enough...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I recall hearing that but with the scale of this thing, you have to wonder if it'll be enough...
Yeah probably not big enough, maybe the empty Canad at HSC? Or the dorms at U of M? Individual rooms are nicer than big open spaces.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
I work in a facility, not a hospital. Why do people go to work in health sick? Because our staffing level is about 80% of the reduced staffing we do have, so many vacancies. If we don't go to work there's nobody to do our job and the service suffers.

Yes it's dumb, but when you work in that culture you don't even think about it.
Then you(you being a person in general) test positive for COVID and have to quarantine all the employees at home. So instead of 80% it's 0%. Like the echocardio unit at St. B. Then what? You further burden the system by bringing people from other facilities.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 3:45 PM

There is a video circulating of what looked like India or Bangladesh. From Feb 20 of this year. People making masks on the floor in a dirty facility, bare hands, no shoes on. yuck. That's why you always wash your new clothes first. Can't do that with masks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan