HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:55 AM

Sorry another thing,

If I can figure out how to post photos on here I have some neat ones if the Scott Memorial during demolition.

I was able to sneak in and document what was left.

In the meantime feel free to reach out to me on my instagram (shameless self advert I'm sorry) @polo.winnipeg -Send me a message on there and I'll share what I found.

Thanks you guys

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 7:14 PM

For anyone curious, there's been multiple workers on the roof pretty much all day every day this week and last. Work is definitely still going on.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo Winnipeg View Post
Sorry another thing,

If I can figure out how to post photos on here I have some neat ones if the Scott Memorial during demolition.

I was able to sneak in and document what was left.

In the meantime feel free to reach out to me on my instagram (shameless self advert I'm sorry) @polo.winnipeg -Send me a message on there and I'll share what I found.

Thanks you guys
https://postimage.org/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 1:06 AM

Not sure when they went up but saw variance notices up on the Great West Metal site today

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 2:16 AM

Heard June was the target for demo.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 5:16 PM

Decent size construction crew in the Antiques & Funk building today. Whatever is going on there is still moving along.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Decent size construction crew in the Antiques & Funk building today. Whatever is going on there is still moving along.
Now that the property has changed hands it would be a huge opportunity to install some windows on the Bannatyne Street facade in the historic openings. And PLEASE don’t paint the building black! In another year or two it may look worse than Dusty Rose or Turquoise.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 1:44 PM

Ah, the dusty rose stucco ghettoes of south Winnipeg. Gotta love em haha

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Now that the property has changed hands it would be a huge opportunity to install some windows on the Bannatyne Street facade in the historic openings. And PLEASE don’t paint the building black! In another year or two it may look worse than Dusty Rose or Turquoise.
Yeah that would be awesome. Not holding my breath though. It'd be best to just remove the paint as opposed to re-painting, it's half gone anyway.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 6:08 AM

I see they've put the new glass in 206-208 Princess. With the masonry straightened out, and the new windows, it's looking a lot nicer already. This will be a good year for Princess, despite losing the building next door.

Maybe 242-246 can be next...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 2:48 PM

Saw some new signage up on Warehouse 1885, here's some leasing info for the commercial part. No rates yet. It's odd because only the space in the middle building is listed. Curious if the other one is taken or they stupidly did what the Porter House did and made the main floor residential too.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 6:38 PM
BANNED

not sure if it was mentioned, but Ace Art is one of the tenants moving into 206/208 Princess.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 2:30 AM

Do we have any updates on 206/208? Are they still working and able to finish the building with Scott Block now gone (both structurally and legally)? It was previously mentioned that because the north wall of 208 is now exposed it could ruin the structural integrity of the whole building.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 3:34 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Do we have any updates on 206/208? Are they still working and able to finish the building with Scott Block now gone (both structurally and legally)? It was previously mentioned that because the north wall of 208 is now exposed it could ruin the structural integrity of the whole building.
210 Princess is shored up.

Work is continuing on the interior of the two remaining buildings.

Design and drawings underway for the replacement building. Goal of construction start this fall.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 3:45 AM

That's fantastic news. Also great to hear they want to build a replacement building ASAP.

Any word on what penalties may come from the city? What could/must be done to honour the lost building?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 4:00 AM
the first stamp is free

They are honouring the building by building a better one. At least a more useful one.

No penalties that I am aware of, other than the additional costs, delays etc for the developer. And having to go thru the process of having a new building design get approvals by the various committees.

I think if the new building goes up as planned, no one will really miss what was there. But just my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 12:17 PM

^ Very encouraging and frankly, exciting news. Good things are happening on Princess.

As handsome as the Scott Memorial Orange Hall was, the interior was compromised by a fire in 1943 and subsequent renovations. As the City's heritage report said, there was little evidence left of any grandeur of the meeting hall. So in some respects, getting a better new building on the site may not be a net loss at all.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 2:14 PM

I agree a new building on that site offers much greater flexibility, not with just the building itself but with some degree of streetscaping as well. IMO the usefulness of that block will definitely been increased with a new building. Looking forward to seeing some renders.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 2:37 PM

^ Agreed. I'm sad we lost the Scott Block, but looking at it on street view right now, the first floor was just entrances, it didn't have much interaction with the street with storefronts or anything. I'm glad that they're planning to redevelop it and I'm looking forward to see what they have planned. I'd love to see a little commercial density form along Princess. Some modern design would be cool too. I'm so conditioned to expect a parking lot lol, this is way better.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 3:27 PM

I'm totally happy if the new building is more useful, but I think there still needs to be some hefty fines for what happened to the building, especially considering it was clearly due to negligence.

Sets a very dangerous precedent in the Exchange if there's no penalties for "accidentally" destroying a heritage building. Especially with so many problematic buildings and landlords still in the area. And I'm not saying this wasn't an accident (although not having a permit is suspicious), but that could easily happen to others – and has before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan