HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 4:11 AM

At least their goal is transparent and never changes; more infrastructure money. Sometimes the interests of businesses need to be protected when there are only two potential clients. But overall they just make noise.

Their existence makes it easier for the government to examine policy changes like 24 hour road construction or a new road base specification, because they just go to MHCA instead of talking to every business that might be affected.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 4:00 PM

Yeah the construction associations can F off. It's like when the nurses union takes out radio ads complaining about how health care "cuts" lead to job losses and mention nothing about the quality of healthcare – they don't care about that, only jobs. But hospitals don't exist to employ people.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 5:05 PM

Was just looking at the plan for the Corydon/Stafford/Taylor upgrades happening from 2020-2023. The whole plan seems completely backward. They're planning on doing Corydon and Stafford upgrades (mostly just reconstruction, few changes) first, then upgrade Taylor @ Stafford & Pembina in 2023.

So it will be another 4 years until the cycling connections on Pembina/BRT, Taylor, and Harrow actually connect. That's also when they'll finally be putting a sidewalk on the south side of Taylor, east of Stafford. Seems like this section should be the first thing done, waiting 4 years to connect all these AT paths/projects is ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 6:02 PM

How much of that out of order work is driven by the Calrosee storm sewer upgrade project? Are there not still streets that have to have access shafts put in to run the connecting lines in back to the main trunk lines?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think the city should be putting off any non-essential spending on roads this year to support people and small businesses. Summer would be enough to do the repairs that are actually necessary.
Does the city do any "non-essential" spending on roads or any infrastructure?

The infrastructure deficit in the tens of billions would underline that anything being done is essential.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
How much of that out of order work is driven by the Calrosee storm sewer upgrade project? Are there not still streets that have to have access shafts put in to run the connecting lines in back to the main trunk lines?
There are two sewer contracts out right now. One on stafford and Taylor and the other at pembina and Taylor. Next year they will head west up taylor from Wilton to Nathaniel maybe with pipe (I can't remember where it ends). Yes the paving is waiting for the project to finish.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 2:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Was just looking at the plan for the Corydon/Stafford/Taylor upgrades happening from 2020-2023. The whole plan seems completely backward. They're planning on doing Corydon and Stafford upgrades (mostly just reconstruction, few changes) first, then upgrade Taylor @ Stafford & Pembina in 2023.

So it will be another 4 years until the cycling connections on Pembina/BRT, Taylor, and Harrow actually connect. That's also when they'll finally be putting a sidewalk on the south side of Taylor, east of Stafford. Seems like this section should be the first thing done, waiting 4 years to connect all these AT paths/projects is ridiculous.
Listen, we’re not that far removed from when the city would put in a brand new upgraded road only to hack into it a year or two later to do sewer upgrades, back when dept.s didn’t communicate with each other and that’s less than ten years ago!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 3:47 PM

There is a big rebuild of Maryland this year. From Fawcett to the bridge. All new concrete. The bike lanes will have those Pembina Hwy-style go-arounds. I don't prefer them to what is there. New pavement will be nice on the bike though.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Listen, we’re not that far removed from when the city would put in a brand new upgraded road only to hack into it a year or two later to do sewer upgrades, back when dept.s didn’t communicate with each other and that’s less than ten years ago!
To some extent that still happens. But mostly with installing services for new building in new areas.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
There is a big rebuild of Maryland this year. From Fawcett to the bridge. All new concrete. The bike lanes will have those Pembina Hwy-style go-arounds. I don't prefer them to what is there. New pavement will be nice on the bike though.
I'm not sure why the bus stops couldn't just go like to the right of the bike lanes, and then just have a raised area in front of the bus stop where the bike path would go through. Really not much different to having the bike path go behind the bus stop. People will linger wherever they will. But would be better for cyclists I would think.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 6:37 PM

I would rather the layout stay the way it is. Having bus riders cross the bike lane to enter/exit the bus. Cyclists can use caution (they are probably more cautious than drivers or pedestrians). All of those bumps and dips cause puddles in the long term also. And a straight route makes it simpler for snow removal (to accommodate the die-hard cyclists).

But whatever, I'm pleased with new cycling infrastructure any way it comes.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Are we even removed from it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
A big portion of it will have the bike lane raised at sidewalk level. I think the city has finally realized that this is way better than street level with bollards/curbs, and will likely be going this route on streets that don't have a ton of curb cuts.

That's the big challenge with Pembina. There's so much traffic the bike lanes should be raised, but you'd have a ramp every 6 feet. There's stretches further south where all the apartments are on the west side that could be raised, but most of Pembina has been hacked to bits by parking entrances.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 8:03 PM

I hate MERX.. Can't be downloading every RFP at work just to see what's up.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I hate MERX.. Can't be downloading every RFP at work just to see what's up.
Besides seeing what was up, I use to enjoy looking at the old as builts because they were all hand drawn.

For example when you see brick wall in a older sewer lift station or the water aqueduct the texture was all hand drawn. Not like now where its all a background that is electronically dropped in as fill.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 1:15 AM

Quote:
To some extent that still happens. But mostly with installing services for new building in new areas.
I may be wrong but I thought the city bought a software package a few years ago that all the utilities can access that shows the condition of the street pavement and locks out the issuing of pavement cut permits on new pavement unless its for emergency repairs.

The city is also trying to coordinate more with the utilities to have them do any underground replacements or upgrades at the same time the city is doing full pavement rehabs.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Besides seeing what was up, I use to enjoy looking at the old as builts because they were all hand drawn.

For example when you see brick wall in a older sewer lift station or the water aqueduct the texture was all hand drawn. Not like now where its all a background that is electronically dropped in as fill.
In the old days, drafting was basically an art form. The penmanship in the text is amazing.

Now a days, there isn't much pride taken in the drawings. There still is, but it's similar to most other things. Get it done quick and move on to the next thing. Skilled drafters take pride and make it look good. while doing it quick Lots of drafters just slap stuff together.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 2:50 PM

Quote:
I may be wrong but I thought the city bought a software package a few years ago that all the utilities can access that shows the condition of the street pavement and locks out the issuing of pavement cut permits on new pavement unless its for emergency repairs.

The city is also trying to coordinate more with the utilities to have them do any underground replacements or upgrades at the same time the city is doing full pavement rehabs.
I'm sure you're right. But in places like Transcona West. The streets are in first. Then the developers come in to install apartment buildings. They'll cut into the new pavement sometimes. Probably depends on if the lots were subdivided before the street went in. Usually they'll install services to every lot. If that's not figured out ahead of time, then they cut into the pavement.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 3:48 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you're right. But in places like Transcona West. The streets are in first. Then the developers come in to install apartment buildings. They'll cut into the new pavement sometimes. Probably depends on if the lots were subdivided before the street went in. Usually they'll install services to every lot. If that's not figured out ahead of time, then they cut into the pavement.
They only put the services to the lot line for single family homes. Industrial, commercial and multifamily all get cut into existing. For sfh's there is no doubt where the service connection will be (only what side the driveway will be on, and developers have no problem mirroring building plans as needed). Most new developments the sewer and water are not underneath the pavement now anyway.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 5:02 PM

Ya exactly. Depends what side of the street you're on though for apartments, etc. If the sewer and water is on the opposite boulevard, they need to cut the street. Otherwise not a big issue if it's on the same side.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 4:59 PM

The Wolseley neighbourhood AT upgrades are on hold until COVID clears up. The city needs normal traffic levels in order to do proper modelling, and there's no traffic right now. Seems like this may push things back a year as we're likely not going to be back to normal traffic levels til fall, if that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan